beat by a toyota!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:32 PM
97 bonestock
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beat by a toyota!!!!!

I was just discusted the other night. I use my 97 f250hd with a 460 in it as a pulling truck/everyday driver, and was at a truck pull the other night and got beat by a new toyota crew cab with a 5.7l motor. I just can't have that in the future. So, i plan on doing some quick work on it this fall after the last pull of the season. I have a couple simple things done to it, but figured I would do a quick post on here just to hear everyone cring at the thought of getting beat by a toyota. by the way he beat me by 40 feet and beat another friend of mine with a 460 carb engine by a little bit also.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:30 PM
reynard101
Senior User
Yep that 5.7 Toyota is a bad ****. Dual overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, variable cam timing, FI. You could always slash one of his tires!

I'd look to a cam upgrade. 460 EFI heads are very restrictive as well - if you have to pass emissions you may be limited here. If you don't have emissions, look to upgrade the exhaust (remove catalitic converter or install a "test" pipe in it's place).

Old 09-09-2008, 10:27 PM
97 bonestock
Junior User
emmisions here are visual only, so my cat is empty, and freeflow muffler behind that, into two 2.5 inch outs at corners. going to have to start putting some money in it i guess. i need a good source for a programmer to start. and then this winter it gets a cam atleast.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:59 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you cut the silencer out of your air intake yet? Headers helped mine courtesy of Mr. Banks.

Tell the other guy for the next race you'll carry a Toyota on the back of your truck and he can carry a 3/4 ton Ford on the back of his!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Wow I am surprise.

do you know what gear ratio in that toyota? 4.10 or 4.56?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:29 PM
broncman
Senior User
This summer I had the chance to visit a Toyota exhibit that had one of their engiines and trans on stands. They were cut away to reveal all the internals. HOLY COW BATMAN! I WAS IMPRESSED!!

If Ford had the same technology in a later generation 460..WOWWWW.

You could even test drive one with a trailer that had 10k on it...

It broke my heart and made me cry

Variable runner intake, 4 valves, variable timing, piston/head chamber design was real sweet. Deep dish, long skirt, polished stainless center in bottom of piston dish(?? redirect heat, and sink heat to piston??)

Old 09-11-2008, 11:34 PM
97 bonestock
Junior User
if you mean the plastic restrictors in between the hoses on the intake, yes they are cut out. as far as gears in the toyota, i don't know.

and for fun, we were pulling 42,000 pounds and i was having an issue with my transfer case popping out of gear.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Ford-Trucker84537
Senior User
as long as you got the power to keep your wheels turning you should have plenty of power, sled pulling is an art, its all about traction weight and just how crazy you are, what kind of tires you run, I run BFG All Terrains they work great, the best time to pull with them is about 50% to 75% tread left, when they are new they like to hop, i think you have the best truck to pull with, extended cab, short bed right, thats the best in my opinion. As for motor work, i would pick a cam that has a longer exhaust duration to get it out if you are going to use your stock heads

Old 09-15-2008, 07:52 PM
97 bonestock
Junior User
I'm running a Wild Country mud terrain, with about 75% tread. Most of the time i can get it rolling pretty nice. I have a set of bfg's but they are pretty worn down. Most of the tracks I have been running on this year have been a little slimey by the time my class gets to pull. I should also state the fact that when I pulled against the Toyota, right before I took off with the sled, the transfer case popped out of gear. I put it back in, but didn't get the RPM's up quick enough going down the track because I was concentrating on weather it was going to stay in gear or not. I was only at 3000 rpms when i got out to 100 feet. That's what really killed me right there. Truck is a crew cab short bed. It is a great truck to pull but, the empty weight of it is to high for me to add much to it in the places i'd like to. Like a set of traction bars, that would go the whole way up to the cab. Most places I have to take the tailgate off, and sometimes the bed liner just to make weight. The length is nice though, because it doesn't even think about hopping. thanks for the reply

Old 09-21-2008, 09:22 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This sounds fun... I ran mud races with my 77 when it was runnin... picture 1/8 mile drag in a foot of mud... hehe. Which reminds me, i need to get my 79 together.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Dorealdeal
New User
Heh, hate to tell you, but most any top of the line motor from any of the mfg. of full size trucks will beat a stock 460, hell, they have had 10 years of tec. work to do it. Even from day one, and I know im going to get yelled at for this, chevy's 454 powered trucks would beat a 460 powerd ford in a race. POInt is, if you want to race, build a drag car.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:48 PM
97 bonestock
Junior User
just doin some truck pulls, thats it. I mainly go out for the advertising ploy. I throw my business magnets on my crew doors and go out in front of the crowd for the fun of it.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:15 PM
jadmt
Senior User
stock 460's are pretty weak. 230hp 390 tq. and then they have to pull 6000 or 7000 pounds worth of truck around to boot.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 AM
littlejohniii
Freshman User
I just put a set of Hedmen headers and a 4" single exhaust on my '97 F250 C.C. 4X4. They made a very big diiference, more than I expected. I already had a 3.5" single on before, w/the cat yet, now no cat. I gained 6/10 of a sec to 60 mph, and through the 1/4 mile. It also went from shifting @ 4200 to 4300, a sign of more power. I wouldn't hesitate to say that I got at least 30 hp, if not more.

I will be putting on a BBK dual 65mm throttle body and custom cold air kit sometime this winter, and will post results. It is my understanding that these 460's are choked off a huge amount on the intake side, at the throttle body, the upper intake manifold, and the intake tubing from the air filter. I am going to try a Mustang dual 65mm TB, and port match the upper intake manifold, and a '05 Mustang cold air intake, with some extra 4" plumbing to eliminate the MAF. From research that I have done, I am expecting to gain at least 40 hp. I will post pics when done, and will have it dynoed before/after hopefully.

I know that the new Toyota's are fast, haven't come up against one yet, but the old beast simply stomps new Ford 1/2 tons to 60 mph. After 60 they are close in speed, I'm not gaining anymore, but they're not catching up either.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:08 PM
maxell3655
Junior User
Three things
1. 6 speed
2. 381 HP
3. 4.30 gears
That combination means quick acceleration but not much top speed. So by the time you hit third he was probably in 4th or 5th. i also assume that who ever drove it stuck it in 4x4 while you were in 2 wheel drive and sat the and spun. I also assume that if he wasn't in 4x4 that traction control saved him. So if he was given no traction control and you booth ran the same in every way except for aerodynamics, weight and motor dsplacement i figure you would win. I've raced my 92 f250 HD with the 460 against quite a few vehicles and trucks are easy to beat 350's in cars and smaller are way behind till i hit 130 KM/h then they are usually a car length or two ahead by the 1/4 mile (only modified V-8's, stock V-8's arent so lucky). Have you ever raced a vehicle with a trailer and when you punch it at 40 k they start catching up because you lose traction then when it finally grabs you blow by em? Happens lots

Quick Reply: beat by a toyota!!!!!