Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

VW overtakes Ford...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
VW overtakes Ford...

2nd to 4th in record time...
FRANKFURT, Aug 28 (Reuters) - Volkswagen (VOWG.DE: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) overtook Ford (F.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) in the first half of the year as the world's third-largest carmaker by vehicle sales, VW said in a statement on Thursday, in yet another sign of Detroit's waning influence.

"We are delighted that the Volkswagen Group has made it to the global automobile industry's top three for the first time," Chief Executive Martin Winterkorn said in a statement.

"This shows that we are on the right track with our ever-stronger international presence and, above all, our product programme. We will systematically push ahead with our growth course even in the present difficult market environment."

Volkswagen wholesales that include those to dealers rose 7.2 percent in the first half to 3.31 million vehicles, while Ford's wholesales were almost 3.22 million.

Ford's figure includes 125,000 units contributed by Jaguar and Land Rover until its sale to India's Tata Motors (TAMO.BO: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) in early June.

Wholesale figures can often be more flattering, since carmakers have been known to push dealers to accept more vehicles than they can sell to customers.

Volkswagen usually bases its main monthly retail data on actual deliveries to customers, which in the first half rose by 5.8 percent to 3.27 million, suggesting dealer stocks rose on an absolute basis.

Ford does not publish deliveries figures, using only wholesales since they are the basis for their ultimate revenues that are booked under their quarterly income statement.

Although the figures underline the difficulties Ford is having in particular in the United States, the data is not entirely new, since both published results for the first half late in July. (Reporting by Christiaan Hetzner; editing by Sue Thomas)
Volkswagen overtakes Ford in car sales in H1 | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeh its kind off sad thats happening. Ford is making great vehicles now an people buy something else. I guess people forget about how big Ford an GM have on the nations economy. If either one goes broke it will be catastrphic for the economy. If you think its bad now. If that happens it will be disasterous. My theory is buy american an save the country.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:16 AM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 150ford
Ford is making great vehicles now an people buy something else.
They should have been doing this all along and they wouldn't be the new #4. It's going to take a long, long time for people to once again be confident in Ford or any other domestic after the crap they put out for so many years.

Mike

Old 09-03-2008, 12:38 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Ford screwed themselves. I bought several new Fords through the 1990s. But Ford Customer service ended me ever buying a NEW FORD AGAIN. When I had trouble with a dealer doing warranty work Ford turned a deaf ear. Never again. Ford Dealers are what is killing Ford & Ford won't change their policies towards dealers. So I don't feel one bit sorry for them.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not so much the dealers, its Ford. They tell the dealers how to deal with warranty claims.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:14 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is worldwide and has nothing to do with the US market. VW sells hardly any cars here anymore. 1969 was their peak year. Please do not make this another thread about flag waving nationalism. That argument may "fly", so to speak, when Japan-bashing, but not in this case. Thanks.

What it does show is Ford's weakness in China and Latin America. VW is strong in those markets, Ford is strongest in Europe, ironically, VW group's home market.

Jim

Old 09-03-2008, 11:01 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
GM has a very strong hold on the auto market in China as well, however GM is hurting in US sales as are many other companies.

The vast majority of the Ford dealers in my area are just plain bad to deal with in both the sales and service ends. Can't really say what other brand dealers are like as I have little experience with them.

No doubt VWs small TDI engine in there vehicles is helping them with the high price of crude.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:37 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
The US is the world's largest car market, so I think American sales are very relevant, especially when it is concerning an American company.

I will echo some and say my experience with Ford dealerships have not been a pleasant one.

I would like to get a VW.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:51 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by jimandmandy
This is worldwide and has nothing to do with the US market. VW sells hardly any cars here anymore. 1969 was their peak year. Please do not make this another thread about flag waving nationalism. That argument may "fly", so to speak, when Japan-bashing, but not in this case. Thanks.

What it does show is Ford's weakness in China and Latin America. VW is strong in those markets, Ford is strongest in Europe, ironically, VW group's home market.

Jim
Jim,
Your right, but having said that CORPORATE POLICIES follow worldwide also. I believe I said FORD refuses to change their policies.
Craig

Old 09-07-2008, 03:06 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Fords policies for grievances are as old as Ford. They date back to the days when Ford Dealers were INDEPENDENT DEALERS. Ford ended that in the 90s closing thousands of mom & pa dealerships. The closest Ford Dealers to me within 100 miles are 3 different Ford Dealers. The only one with a GOOD REPUTATION is 250 miles away. I've had dealings with the 3 closest. The nearest VW dealer is 100 miles away. I have a reputable Chevy Dealer 60 miles away. So lets see HOW BAD DO I WANT A NEW FORD? Not enough to drive 250 miles one way to buy it & get it serviced. I have heard this from people who live in the big cities also. How bad do I want to drive and extra half hour out of my way to buy & get service?
Craig

Old 09-07-2008, 05:07 PM
dkf
Hotshot
I bought my truck from a family owned dealer. The origional owner's (retired) son is the manager and oversees the place. They are a fairly small dealership and they were superb to deal with. Of course I had to drive 40 minutes one way and pass about 3 other Ford dealers to get there. The larger the dealer the worse they are to deal with in my experience.

I highly doubt many other auto companies have many "Mom and Pop" dealers either. The big auto dealer names sell many makes of vehicle and buy out the smaller dealerships.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:27 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Today's US VW dealers also have horrible reputations for service. And it is $expensive$ too. VW/Audi has special lubricants that are almost impossible to find outside the dealer network and even then, the parts counter doesnt seem to know what to sell you.

I would like to get a new Jetta TDI, but dealing with VW is a pain. Now if Ford would import the 65mpg diesel Fiesta, I could give Ford the business and get the car I want. Wont happen, Im afraid.

Jim

Old 09-08-2008, 02:55 PM
dkf
Hotshot
A Ranger with a TDI would be nice. Problem I see with any new diesel here in the US is emmissions, too much crap thanks to the EPA. They will figure out how to reliably and cheaply meet EPA emmissions eventually however I forsee the EPA only clamping down more. Anybody hear about the new EPA regs on small engines in the near future?

I heard Ford is bringing the Fiesta to the US soon, but you can shure bet it ain't gonna be no diesel.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:56 PM
valdor
Senior User
Ranger in Tdi

In europe and South Africa we have a TDCI Ranger 3.0l 4cyl good for 155 hp and 281 ft/lbs. Qiute a capable and well respected truck. Does any one know why US and lets say European etc market payloads vary so much? Think the US ranger is rated for about 1400lbs while here in South Africa and elsewhere they are rated for 2400 lbs or more as is all of the Jap and other Asian pickups. Sure you do not build em weaker so it must be regulations or such?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
In North America, all of them want to "upsell" customers to a bigger truck than they need (cars, too) because of bigger profits on bigger units. Laws and regulations really only have to do with availability of diesels in under-8500lb vehicles. Toyota used to sell a high-payload HiLux (Tacoma) pickup and chassis-cab in this market, but once they had a T-100, then Tundra to sell, those were discontinued.

Jim

Quick Reply: VW overtakes Ford...