N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Some times you just had enough

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some times you just had enough

So I’m sitting on the couch this morning watching the speed channel, (one of my favourite channels) the show playing is called the low life.
This show is all about low riders and related products. Well I am one who sees peoples cars for who they are and appreciate the work and effort they put into them.
I personally would not do this to any car I drove but hey to each their own. So any how I am sitting there watching and kind of impressed with the complexity of the hydraulics they make these cars work when they show the parking lot with all of their show cars and on every car there is a Mexico flag flying, not a single American flag on any of these cars. This car shop was filmed in California I believe witch to my understanding is still part of America.
I think this is very disrespectful and the fact that these guy would never survive building these cars in Mexico, because of the economy and corrupt police that run that country. If they are so proud of Mexico and have no pride what so ever in the USA than maybe they should just go bounce their little butts back across the border.

The other fact is that these are all American made cars. I am also going to write to the SPD channel and let them know how I feel.

Just me venting Sorry.
You can just delete this after you read it, it makes me feel better.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:01 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
May have be filmed on Cinco de Mayo...All around here on the 5th of May was the Mexican flag flying and hanging everywhere.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:23 PM
mcculloughrp
Senior User
I completely agree with you. I have the mentallty of love it or leave it. I know that they are represtening their hertiage and all but they are here and that is the reason they have the oppturnity to do what they are doing. I do not believe that they could do that in Mexico. And I am sure that most of them were probablay born here or some of them have green cards. Either way this is their home now they need to show some respect. I feel that they show more respect to Mexico than they do to our Country.

I remeber an email that went around that showed a high school were a bunch of Mexican Americans had lowered the American Flag, then raised the Mexican Flag and placed our flag upside down below it on the flag pole. They did this around the time Congress was looking to pass a bill to crack down on illegal immagration as a demostration. What they do not realize it is crap like that makes people want to crack down on immagration.

I do not mean to upset anyone, I am just makeing a point that these guys can show some American Pride as well.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree... Unfortunately it seems more and more that showing American pride is less "PC" I have actually received dirty looks for flying an American flag from my truck!!! I to apologize if this upsets any of my fellow members. But i for one will stand up for my country!

Old 09-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
I agree 100%. I too have watched that show and agree that I would not do that to any vehicle I owned and again, agree to each their own. However, I think they should show more respect for the USA. I have no problem with them being proud of their heritage. Everyone should be. However, as stated before, most of them were born here. So where is their pride? And as stated before, they are not doing this down in Mexico, where it would be impossible to fund. I also think it is interesting that the majority of them are using American cars. Most of them are older than the person who owns it! (Does Mexico even make a car of their own?)

Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Most of them are older than the person who owns it! (Does Mexico even make a car of their own?)
I don't know if there is a Mexican owned car company, but I know many USA manufacturers have plants there. My parent's truck was assembled there. I think VW has some plants as well.

As for the politics of it, I understand your dislike of this. On the other hand, sometimes you don't like what you hear with free speech. For years I had a small 3"X4" West German (late '80's and early '90's) flag sticker on my car. I had lived there for awhile and am 1/2 German. I also had a Dukakis/Bentson '88 sticker (not one of prouder things in my life) too.

What about the people in the south that fly the Confederate flag on their vehicles? That irritates me too, but they can claim it is part of their heritage from the "War of Northern Aggression." Ann Coulter is satan's spawn in my mind, but she has the right to say her garbage as well as does Michael Moore.

Even though these things irritate the heck out of me, I am glad we have the right to say and exhibit things (within reason) and express our Freedom of Speech.

I guess my point is, they have a right to fly the flag of choice on their car, as do you and I. Don't feel bad flying your American flag on your car. My hope is that at the end of the day, everyone knows which country their allegiance is with.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:59 PM
mcculloughrp
Senior User
Fastmover I like your point. I think you share the same setiment that the rest of us feel, we just did not word as well as you did.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:14 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
No kidding, nice reply,Karl

Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Kory717
New User
i understand showing pride for you home country because i know if i went to any other country i would be flyin the red white and blue. i guess what im tryin to say is that im ok with the flag thing as long as they dont disrespect the usa if they do that i will throw them back over the border myself. the thing that really gets me is when we have to put spanish on billbords, adds and have spanish speaking employees just to make it easier on them to live over here if they dont make a point to learn our language they should not be in america.

whew!... ok that was my angry rant for today i dindnt mean to upset anybody i was sayin it like it is and i actually have alot of mexican friends so dont be thinkin im a racest or anything.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:12 AM
mcculloughrp
Senior User
I agree with you Kory. But we live in a changing world and this is where our country is heading. More and more Americans are speaking English as a second Language. And since our constitution does not declare a national language, there is not much we can do.

I spent last year in South Korea, and I did not expect everyone I came in contact with to speak English. (with the exception of people that worked on base). I tried my best to pick up enough of the language to get by. You know the normal, Hello, Yes, No, thank you and your welcome. I tried to pick up more, but it was difficult. It kinda helped me to understand what someone new to this country might be going through. Sometimes it helps to change your perpsective.

I agree with that showing pride in your hertiage is a good thing, as long as you do not disrespect our flag. Thats why the story in my previous post upset me so. That was the utlimate disrespect for the Flag(next to burning it). I work to hard, day in and day out to preserve our freedom and our way of life to watch someone disrepect the symbol of all that hard work and sacriface.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:23 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why couldn't they fly both the Mexican and the American flags on their vehicles.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:27 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
I admire your trying to learn Korean enough to get by. It is respectful.

I tried to do the same when I lived in Spain and Germany. A funny side note, when my German host brother, his friend , and I were in Stockholm, the friend was robbed. We went to the Stockholm police station to fill out a report and claim his stuff back (they caught the thief). The only common language was english. The problem was the Germans could not understand the Swedish accented english and vice versa. I ended up listening to one then repeating it to the other, all in english. It wasn't quite interpreting and translating, just annunciating better. That was a fun trip.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:26 AM
mcculloughrp
Senior User
Originally Posted by sierraben
Why couldn't they fly both the Mexican and the American flags on their vehicles.
It probablay never occured to them. Because in their sub-culture showing American Pride is not cool. And yes the guys you saw on that show belong to a subculture that is growing more and more every day.

Thanks Karl for your post. I do what I can.
But that sounds like quite a story. I can only imagine what that would have been like.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Kory717
New User
i personly find hispanic culture very interesting and in my earlier post i did not mean to sound like i was including all mexicans in my statements because without imigration america would not exist the way it is today its the people who think that they can come over here illegaly and not pay taxes but many depend on our tax money to survive.

just clearing things up felt like i might have given the wrong idea

Old 09-05-2008, 09:01 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I think it's really a "When in Rome..."-thing, more than anything else.

I think as long as the thread stays "PC", it'll survive...i/e sticking to American Patriotism-did I spell that right?...but this thread does have the potential to get locked quickly...just keep in mind <if you reply to this thread> don't bash a culture, just show your support for the good old US of A.

So far, looks like we're doing okay