1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F 100 frames and high horsepower engines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:23 AM
55CID
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation F 100 frames and high horsepower engines?

<TABLE height=430 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="70%"><!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="content" -->Stock and Modified 53-56 Ford F-100 (F100) Frames

The kind of Ford truck you're building will determine the kind of frame you should have. The stock frame with stock suspension is meant to flex a little. You should not make it rigid by adding more support or boxing the frame with frame boxing plates. As well, you should not overpower the stock frame because it just can't take high horsepower engines.

This is a quote from f 100 central I was thinking of putting a high horsepower 460 in but wanted to retain the solid front axle. Reading the above quote do you all feeal this is true? And if not what have you done to help a high horsepower engine live safeley in an 53 -56 F100? Thanks much to all with some insight.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 08-22-2008, 10:23 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Sorry, but I cannot agree with that statement! Putting in an engine stronger than ~ 350 HP, especially if you plan on sticking your foot in it once in a while (and who would put in a high HP engine and not do so???), definitely calls for boxing the frame and possibly adding a tubular K member for stiffness. Take a look at a picture of an Art Morrison replacement chassis to see what I mean. Not stiffening the frame will make the truck very squirrely at launch due to frame twist and bump steer.
Make sure you put in plenty of caster in the beam axle for stability.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:53 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 55CID
The stock frame with stock suspension is meant to flex a little.
It would appear this makes the argument for not leaving the frame and suspensioin stock if you plan to boost HP and Torque!!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:16 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz
It would appear this makes the argument for not leaving the frame and suspensioin stock if you plan to boost HP and Torque!!
No, that's applying reverse logic.The stock frame was designed to flex because trucks were WORK vehicles in the 50's. They were driven everyday across fields, on dirt roads, and onto construction sites that had bumps and holes larger than the suspension travel, often with heavy loads on board. Ford was smart to use a ladder style frame and rivets that allowed the frame to twist and flex otherwise the abuse would soon destroy a rigid chassis. By further isolating the cab from the chassis it improved the control, ride and comfort of the driver. He also mounted the front of the engine from the center of the front crossmember and hung the front clip sheetmetal off the radiator mount. This was all pretty ingenious engineering for it's day and is a major reason why so many F100s survived until today.There is nothing inherently wrong with the stock suspension or frame for high HP use if you accelerate with moderation. The problem comes when you want to use that high HP and torque for rapid accelleration. The flexible chassis and rear leaf suspension makes weight transfer to the rear axle unpredictable, resulting in "squirrely launches", which are neither safe nor efficient.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 PM
55CID
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MY plan was to install a narrowed 9" that I have. with a four link from competition engineering or another co. haven't decided yet. but I wanted to keep the truck mostly old school except for safety stuff like breaks and seat belts and such. And do a pro street type truck and I will be launching it hard as I would like to go to the track every so often. Is this not possible with a modified stock frame? Am I better off using a newer ford frame from a full size bronco F150 or older Lincoln? I just dint know enough about chassis building to Have the answers to my questions I hope you all can help. but may be I have to talk with a local chassis builder?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:04 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
A 4 link is going to require a stiffened frame and a strong crossmember or K member to attach to to work properly. A 4 link is basically a drag racing suspension rather than a highway suspension. First thing you need to do is decide exactly what the primary uses of the truck will be, what % of the time will be spent in each use and what comprimises you are willing to endure. There is no one perfect suspension for all uses there is always a comprimise. If the primary purpose is a daily driver, then build a daily driver, if the primary purpse is racing, then build a dedicated race car and forget about driving it on the street. If you want it to be a "lawn ornament" (show car) then build a show car. Altho it is possible to run a street or show car down the dragstrip, it isn't going to be a winner, and I for one don't recommend driving a race car on the street, the street is not the place to be racing, and is likely to cost you dearly, in gas purchases, tickets, insurance, and/or possibly the life of yourself, a loved one, or an innocent bystander. Being a racer, I know just how fast a race car can get away from you, how far it can travel and how little control you have once it does. Way too many people are killed because someone with too little real driving skills lost control of an overpowered car on the street. Do your racing on a racetrack/course.