Q & A for all the gurus here

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 05:16 PM
RV77
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q & A for all the gurus here

Im looking at trading my 05' F250 SD CC Diesel Lariet/FX4 w/ 68k miles and the dealers will only give me 21k ?? I still owe more than what they offer.If I use Nada it says 28,700 trade-in and dealer retail is 32,500.

But....If i use KBB it shows 22k trade in.( what the dealers are going by).Am I out of line to ask them to meet me half way or a little better ?? I realize I will lose some on trade in but this is ridiculous......Im looking at trading for a 08' FX4 loaded but I getting the feeling they dont want to deal ??I also dont want to pay msrp on the 08'.

And they will put it on the lot for $30k - $34K !!!!

I have been trying to sell it outright but obviously.......no luck.

I need any and all advice please.

Thanks Rick

Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I sold cars and trucks for a while (I know, sorry) dealers are using a "Black Book" what it is wort at auction prices. KBB say's my 01 F150 sprcab, shortbed, 4x2, is worth $4000 more than the dealer offered me.
I'm still driving that truck.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Galveston Yankee
Junior User
I like to do to Edmunds website to research what cars/trucks are selling for. It will give you a good idea of what used truck dealers are asking for similar vehicles in your area.

I ran a search for trucks like yours in the houston area and found several super duty crew cabs with 67K to 75K on lots for under $26,000. A dealer offering you $21K for a trade in is probably looking at the fact that he's only going to make about $5K over what he gives you for the trade less any overhead he has to take out of that $5K.

You'ld be better off selling it yourself for around $25k. Otherwise, you are looking at working a deal for a new truck, working a deal for the trade in and then adding whatever the amount you are upside down between the trade in amount and amount owed on the old truck being added to the price of the new truck.

Or be like ubereal2 and continue to drive the one you are in. I got upside down pretty bad ($5K) when I traded my '98 Range Rover for my F150 Lariat supercrew 4x4. I will drive this truck until it's paid off and they haul it off on a flatbed!

Check out Edmonds, that sight generally has the most accurate info as to what's selling for what in your area.
http://www.edmunds.com/

GY

Old 03-29-2008, 11:26 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,110 Likes on 4,192 Posts
The harsh reality is...that with gas at $3+ and diesel fuel at $4+ a gallon...trucks aren't worth much today. Books are guides...the real value is established by people who buy and sell them at auctions. No matter how nice your truck is...there are trucks being sold at auctions all over the country that are just as nice. The way to maximize your return is to sell the truck privately...maybe the attachment you have to it can persuade a potential buyer to pay more. The dealer looks upon your truck as glass...rubber...and steel...nothing more...it is a business decision for him...not an emotional one. That being said...it should be the same for you...don't make it or take it personally...you can not be an effectice negotiator unless you are willing to walk away from the situation.

As for purchasing a truck...the same goes...you can not be an effective negotiator unless you are willing to walk away. With the internet...you can find out what the dealer pays for the vehicle...let him make a fair profit...and you can be friends for many years to come.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:19 PM
RV77
New User
Cool

Thanks to all the replies....I do appreciate it.The reality is harsh to say the least.
I was just at my local dealer today and heres what he offered.......19,500 trade-in, rebate 592.44, doc fee 150.00, lics & title 80.00, tax 1,117.00, 0% @ 60 months on 46,479.94.

These figures are based on my x-plan pin and on a 08' FX4 F150 CC Loaded.I said there is " no way" and chuckled !!!!

And we talked about the diesel market etc... and he suggested that I try ebay and local advertising and I have already done that to No avail.....

I will keep you all posted

Rick

Old 04-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Corey872
Senior User
One thing you may try as a bargaining chip is to look up the dealer retail value for the honest condition of your truck (and price of similar vehicles in the general area - or even on the dealers lot) , and start bargaining from that. It's pretty easy for you to say

"Well, the retail price is 32,500 - would it be enough for you to make $4,000 on my truck and give me 28,500 trade in" - Of course the dealer won't like this number and will try and go much lower - but all the time, you can point out the thousands of dollars the dealer stands to make.

If you start bargaining at the KBB trade in value, the dealer will spring the old "well we'll have to recondition the truck" and "we don't know what were getting" so they will start out even lower than the KBB trade in and you will have a hard time even bargaining up to that number.

Basically, it helps put the ball in your court when you can constantly point out how many thousands the dealer stands to make off your trade coming down from retail, versus starting at the low KBB trade in, having them take out even more $$ because of 'unknowns' and try to bargain back up to trade in value.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:11 PM
TorontoRaptor416
Junior User
BigKen is on the money (as usual). Any type of truck or SUV is taking a beating on the market especially when it comes time to trade them in. If you're in a position to absorb the loss (difference between your payoff and what you sell it for)without having to worry about rolling it into the financing of your new car/truck, always sell it privately.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Joe Finn
Elder User
There is a little bit of a silver lining to this. Dealers are seeing some grass grow around their new trucks for the same reasons. Chances are that you'll get a better deal and bigger rebates than you might otherwise get.