6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis
View Poll Results: Keep the 03 or trade?
Keep the 03; do EGR delete and head studs
18.18%
Trade for an 08; make payments a couple more years
66.67%
Sell the 03 for an older truck; wait for Ford's new diesel in '10
9.09%
Trade for a newer 6.0; do EGR delete and head studs
6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions Wanted - Truck Decision Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:42 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions Wanted - Truck Decision Time

First of all, I really like my truck. It's a 2003 with the 6.0, 60k miles, and it hasn't been in the shop at all. It's paid off. Ball joints need to be replaced and there's a rattle in the driver's door but that's about it. So what's the problem? The EGR system, that's what. It's going to kill the truck like it has so many others.
So when the 08s are cleared off the lots in the next few months for the 09s, do I want to dump the 03 for a new one? Or do the EGR delete and head studs on the 03 and just replace other stuff as it comes up on the 03?
For a couple more years of payments I could trade up five model years. Have a brand new truck. Or just keep the 03 - it's in great shape with the options and mods I want.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:11 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
You wont regret have a 6.4. Espicialy if you plan to mod it anyway. You won't even have to worry about head studs.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:04 PM
mick1955
Senior User
I think the 08 is great truck. Runs well, even before the mods, and even better afterwords. The ride is wonderful, and it's got to be one of the nicest looking truck that Ford has ever built. Only thing that is a downfall is the mileage. The 6.4 with EPA standards eats the fuel. If you don't tow alot stay away from the 4.10 rearends and above.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:47 PM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How bad do you want a new truck? Now is the time to buy if you are in the market. There have been a lot of improvements since in 03 in regard to the ride, turning radius, interior finish, etc. With that said... I have 60k on my 06 and have no intentions of trading for a variety of reasons although I did have an 03 and the 08's are a major step-up. Flip a coin... start a poll... What the heck (it's not my money) I say trade-up

Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

If your trying to wait for the new ford 6.7 i would not buy it the first year, atleast wait one year to make sure its right which would be 2011 if its released in 2010. You wont go wrong with a 08. The milage will drop a little be the overall truck is awesome in stock format compared to the 6.0. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 AM
BigRed1
Freshman User
New truck, too

I'm in the same boat - trying to decide to get a new (2008) PSD. From what I've been reading on this forum, fuel costs will be about the same as my 1999 F250 V10, and might be worse if I'm towing at highway speeds.

Still trying to assess the potential fuel bill versus performance. I'm sure the new truck will have more power - just not sure if it will be more efficient.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 AM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
I wouldn't be waiting until the 2010 models come around. The emissions systems will be ever worse than the 08's. The 6.4 emissions system is still relatively simple to remove, but the new models will have urea injection in the exhaust.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:21 AM
JIM_C
Elder User
Originally Posted by SouthTexasDiesel
I wouldn't be waiting until the 2010 models come around. The emissions systems will be ever worse than the 08's. The 6.4 emissions system is still relatively simple to remove, but the new models will have urea injection in the exhaust.
I don't have a problem with exhaust urea injection. That doesn't rob power and fill my intake and the rest of my engine with tar. But, the future diesels will probably have a combination of both to meet emissions specs for '10.
EGR is like your truck chain-smoking Camel cigarettes with no filter!
I appreciate the opinions so far - keep 'em coming!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
malabaker
Freshman User
I have a 08 F350, my first FORD, and I absolutely love it. I get compliments on my truck everywhere I go, even when my wife drives it, little kids will tell her how cool it is. I say buy the 08, you won't regret it!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Demolition
Senior User
Forgive the repeat guys as I stand by my opinion whenever anyone asks this question.
Most important to me is how I use the truck. If you need mileage and work your truck hard, get a late model 6.0
Some guys are lucky with mileage on the 08s (I count myself as one of those) and have had relatively few problems. But the mileage thing seems to be a bit of a crap shoot.
My 08 does everything I ask and I can't complain because it is a great looking truck too. So if you can chance it or don't need the mileage, then get the 08.
I definitely would NOT be waiting for the new motor. I don't have very warm feelings about even more emissions crap. I would have to wait and see how that one performs first.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:37 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
I have owned 7.3's, 6.0's and now a 6.4. This is by far the nicest truck for creature comforts. Its quiet, smooth, and plush. Even with the EPA crap it is just as powerful as a 6.0. Yes the mpg sucks for most of us but you may get lucky and you can always do the mods to get good mpg if you are willing to risk the warranty.

The new 6.7 sounds like a beast but it will be entirely new. It will be made by Ford, not international, so consider the R&D investment and years of experience that Ford has on small truck diesels. While international is not perfect, they have been learning and imroving for years and years. Then add in that Ford not only has to develop this new engine but also comply to new EPA standards never seen before and you at least have a recipe for some issues to rise. Most on here were willing to buy a first year 6.4 because it is the result of years of improvements. The 6.4 wasnt a first time shot at making a small truck diesel. The 6.7 may be a home run but as mentioned I would wait at least a year to see how it does before dropping 50 large.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:49 PM
offshore1
Senior User
It is a buyers market now.
You will never buy a new truck as cheap as you can right now.
It is a no brainer!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
Well fellas, I made a BIG mistake today. I went and drove a 6.4. I'm not in love with that particular truck but I'm sold on the powertrain. This was an extended cab long bed but the options were not for me. As for the drive: Awesome. No turbo lag to speak of, very smooth; feels like you're in the palm of a powerful machine. If you'll excuse me, I have dealer inventories to search.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 PM
J.T. Guitar
Senior User
Good luck Jim... I think you are doing the right thing. I have a 2000 7.3 that gets 18MPG, but that 6.4 is a nice puller.

I'm with most others here; I don't know about the 6.7. It could be many years until they get it right. The 6.4 might not be pulling down 20 MPG, but for the power it does pretty well.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 PM
gopedoligist
Elder User
nice jim! u wont regret it. the only advice i have is get EXACTLY what u want. i had my heart set on a fx4. couldnt quite afford it, so i pulled the trigger on a xlt. i like it.. but my heart drops everytime i see a fx4 drive by..