Misfire on Cylinder One!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:37 PM
danlee
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Misfire on Cylinder One!

2002 Merc Mountaineer with 4.6 V8 AWD, 86,000 miles.

My Mountaineer has been very reliable since I purchased it new in 2002. Lately the gas mileage has dropped a little. On the way home from a recent vacation, the motor started running rough, and was jerky at light throttle. I figured it was a fuel injector problem, so I put a bottle of NAPA concentrated fuel injection cleaner. That seems to have worked, but I put a scanner on the OBD-2 connector to reset the Check Engine light which came on after the rough engine problem. The scanner showed a Misfire on Cylinder One code.

I suspect that I need new spark plugs in addition to Fuel Injector Cleaner. I have quite a bit of experience with older Ford motors, but I have never changed plugs on a Modular motor.

Can anyone give me a few pointers on changiing those plugs?

Where are they located?

Do I need to change the Coils as well?

Old 08-02-2008, 04:22 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 PM
danlee
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was not all that difficult to change the plugs on my 2002 Mountaineer 4.6 motor thanks to the information that I got on this forum.
I got the SP-493 plugs from Auto Zone and they were also marked AWSF32PM.
It was about 10:30 AM when I got all the plugs, di-electric grease, anti-sieze, tools and my air supply ready to go. By 12:00 Noon, I had all 4 plugs done on the driver's side, and the front two on the passenger's side. I went and had some lunch, before I tackled the last two plugs in the rear on the passenger side. I thought that they would be the most difficult, but they were easy.

I didn't have a torque wrench that could be used at 13 ft-lbs, so I used a shorty ratchet wrench to hand tighten the plugs.

The biggest problem that I had was re-installing the engine cover after I was done.

The old plugs were clean and unifom. The gap was less than 0.060". They did show signs that the spark was tracking to the outer ring rather than the ground elctrode.

These were the original plugs. They had a green tip on the top of the plug. I am the original owner and I never had them changed, so I knew that they were original.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:31 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds good