Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Senior User

nelstone74 is starting off with a positive reputation.
new oil option?

With growing competition for used oil I was wondering about using new oil, but rather than buying it growing it. I know that this is not an option for most but I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of growing and processing oild seed small scale. It would probably be rape seed or sunflowers in my neck of the woods?

97 F350, 7.3 Auto, DRW, 2wd, Reg Cab & Chassis
Just A WORK TRUCK Mods: Flatbed, gauges, 6637, 3" DP, cat took a hike, PHP tunes, group 31 batteries, western mirrors, 17.5 wheels, paint scratches, dirt, rust.
97 Light Duty F250, 4.6L, Auto, 4wd, Ext Cab.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Talk to Fabman.
He does exactly what you want to do.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:52 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

tojoski has a very good reputation on FTE.tojoski has a very good reputation on FTE.tojoski has a very good reputation on FTE.tojoski has a very good reputation on FTE.
I've considered this also, we have about 20 acres we could plant.

We're just not too sure of the costs to get started

- My Garage -

Arkansas Chapter Leader - Join Here
Old 07-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Posting Guru

MAKO314 has a good reputation on FTE.MAKO314 has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't know but according to what I have been told, with rape seed a fully functioning farm could supply enough fuel for all their equipment off of 1/10 of their farmed acrage " assuming this is a large farm of a couple hundred planted acres". I do know that most of the Fuel Miester dealers sale a variety of sizes seed presses.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:53 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
I've been growing Canola for a couple of years now. We are supplying all our fuel for a 6,000 acre ranch. I'm just about to harvest this years "fuel" crop . We should make approx 20,000 gallons of bio from 100 acres. I also tried Camelina this year, but the yield isn't as high as Canola, so probably won't do it again. If you have a farm, and already own a combine it is very easy to produce your own fuel. If you had to buy a combine ($200,000 +) It probably isn't for you..............

I'll use about 10,000-12,000 gallons/ year. The rest I sell to another farm. I also sell the "feed meal" to a local dairy for $200 / Ton. I presently use the glycerol byproduct as a liquid fertilizer, but this winter will put together a pellitizer and combine the glycerol with waste straw and make fuel pellets.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Senior User

nelstone74 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fabmandelux-- it sounds like you pretty much have it figured out. I am involved with more of a grazing operation. While buying a newer big combine would make it unfeasible I was thinking that some thing that is past its prime (not big enough or fast enough) for crop operations could be picked up reasonable and still have a lot of life for fuel cropping. Im pretty sure that everyu year at the combine derby they wreck a couple that would work just fine

I would be interesed finding more out about how you press/process the seed.

97 F350, 7.3 Auto, DRW, 2wd, Reg Cab & Chassis
Just A WORK TRUCK Mods: Flatbed, gauges, 6637, 3" DP, cat took a hike, PHP tunes, group 31 batteries, western mirrors, 17.5 wheels, paint scratches, dirt, rust.
97 Light Duty F250, 4.6L, Auto, 4wd, Ext Cab.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Freshman User

Demonknight is starting off with a positive reputation.
I come from a farm and ranch area myself..and know a lot of the farmers would be happy to help harvest your crop...for a small fee *S* How small depends on how/who and when you ask..

oh god..there I go narcing old threads..sorry
Old 11-28-2008, 12:44 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels