1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

If you had it to do over (What would you do?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking If you had it to do over (What would you do?)

Hey guys, I was wondering, if you were to start over on your truck, what all would you do different? I thought this would make a COOL thread, and maybe help out some of our "Newbies"? Maybe we could help some folks to NOT make some of the mistakes we made?

I'll start off, I would NOT have used the chevy engine I already had, or used a GM subframe. I would have made mine ALL FORD. That's not to say there's anything wrong with GM running gear, I would just rather have made mine all Ford if I were allowed the opportunity.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Terry,

Personally I don't have a problem with a truck not being all Ford (I'm not going to get into the reasoning behind it here---we've all discussed it many times and anyone interested can look up the old threads)

I have about a million things I'd do differently on my truck. Alot of the decisions made while putting my truck together were governed by my financial situation (which is pretty bleak at best). Today my financial situation is a bit easier but now I'm stuck in the mindset of not wanting to spend a bunch of money on a truck I basically got for free, so I'm perpetually stuck in "cheap" mode.

I think you will get some interesting replies
Bobby

Old 07-22-2008, 08:18 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hire it Done! Just kidding.

I'm in the middle of re-doing a PO mess on the project chassis I bought. I would start with a clean frame and add the components I want. Of course money and time dictate more than I like also.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:30 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
All Ford...

Originally Posted by Truxx1956
Hey guys, I was wondering, if you were to start over on your truck, what all would you do different? I thought this would make a COOL thread, and maybe help out some of our "Newbies"? Maybe we could help some folks to NOT make some of the mistakes we made?

I'll start off, I would NOT have used the chevy engine I already had, or used a GM subframe. I would have made mine ALL FORD. That's not to say there's anything wrong with GM running gear, I would just rather have made mine all Ford if I were allowed the opportunity.
Your point is of value beyond being a mere preference. Depending on what you are thining about doing with the truck, it might be important to stay all Ford. If you are going for a show truck, it is important to note that some shows require that your vehicle be all Ford, all GM or whatever.

With me it's just a preference because I just happen to get along better with all Ford. I'm not really into the Ford vs. Chevy thing. I think that stuff is just a waste of time and energy.

Later Man...

Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 AM
merten
Laughing Gas
The biggest thing that I would have done different if given a chance for a do over, would be starting off with a less rusty truck. The adopt a truck program that Mid Fifty Ford is offering looks pretty interesting and if I didn't have the one that I do have, I would seriously look into that. Or buy one offered by one of the members here.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
the 53 is kinda in progress so it doesnt count . but if i could have the 55 back as a one ton and more patience and less rush i'd a left it a one ton dually pickup like it was and finished it out . Name:  Picture_433.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  36.2 KB

Old 07-22-2008, 09:15 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
If I could do one thing over it would be to have my firewall completely straight with all "extra holes" filled.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Oz52F1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Get it on the road TODAY!!!Fancy it up after A GOOD FIVE YEARS .....AT LEAST!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:10 AM
homade
Posting Guru
I guess the only thing I would have done is got off my butt and got it running sooner, naw it ain't pretty but it's pretty much just the way I wanted it and I'm HAVING A BALL DRIVING IT EVERYWHERE, be going to Somernites at Somerset, Ky. this Saturday and have some more fun, Garry

Old 07-22-2008, 10:59 AM
JDMick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stayed mostly stock and so the only things I maybe should have done differently would be to stay even more stock such as multi leaf springs instead of the monos, keeping the window vents, and going to at least a stock looking alternator (I'm keeping the 12V and an alternator instead of a generator though). Someday I'll get those problems corrected.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

You know, when I said, that I'd make mine all Ford, I wasnt tryin to get anything started again. Just for my own pleasure, I'd rather it be all Ford, but I'm kind of like Bobby I dont have alot of money to put into it now and really hate to think about tearing it all apart to make that big of a change. I do plan to put TBI fuel injection on it

Old 07-22-2008, 12:40 PM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I smoothed all of the cab seams, shaved the rail, smoothed the rear fenders.....I would have to say I would fully weld the front clip together and have a full reverse opening dog house...hood-fenders-grill you know. And also go with a cab chop of some kind. You know when I started fixing my truck up it was just to fix a leaking rear main seal.....4 yrs. later...........the seal leaks once again!
Ed

Old 07-22-2008, 12:41 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd have left it a driver as I renovated it, rather than a total frame-off.
I didn't see that financial distraction (commonly known as a "wife") coming.
3 houses, two kids, and 10 years later... still in pieces.
DRIVE IT!!!

JML

Old 07-22-2008, 12:46 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I too already had a Chevy engine so I used it because I was building on a budget. However, I ended up having to have the engine rebuilt again so I wish I had started over with Ford power to begin with. I also wish I had stayed with the vent windows instead of the pne-piece glass and bought a less expensive bed than ProsPick. Although I am very happy with it, I could have saved some money on another brand of reproduction bed...

Old 07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Vern,

Just think of the money you would have saved if you would have just had a few mousetraps around.......lol

(inside joke refering to Vern's need for the rebuild)

Bobby

Quick Reply: If you had it to do over (What would you do?)