Mud Truck Races--Monroe--Sunday Aug 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Todds79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mud Truck Races--Monroe--Sunday Aug 3

Hey all,

I hope you haven't given up on me, It's been a long time since I posted.

Just to let everyone know, there is a mud truck race at Twin City Mudder in Monroe on Sunday, Aug 3.

The good thing about these races is that about half the field are Fords.
If you want to see what some of the trucks look like, here is the website--iracemud.com

I had told everyone in the past we were building a truck to run this year. Well, we changed plans from a 79 F-150, and bought a truck that had been started, but not even close to being finished. My son and I hope to make this race our first run. (I'm the mechanic with the money, he's the driver)

We are now racing a 1985 F-250 with a 429. We have forged flat tops, custom grind cam, 10.5 compression, built C-6 with a reverse valve body, high pinion Dana 44 front and a locked Dana 70 rear. We hope to be competitive, but it will take a while to work out the bugs.

If anyone is interested, we could make a get together for the folks that might want to attend. The track has lots of shade trees, and I have a reserved spot on the fence at the beginning of the water hole.

We've got a couple of weeks before the race, so let me know what ya'll think.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:32 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Todd I havent given up on you.....yet. I will deffinatly try to make it. That will be y first weekend home. I haven't made the mud races in quiet a while. I would like to see what everyone is running.

What kind of tires are you running?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:40 PM
rangergurl04
Senior User
like i've said before, if it was closer i'd go

Old 07-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Todds79
Senior User
We're running 7.50 x16 co-ops. These are 33" tall, which is the limit for stock class. (tall and skinny, should dig well) From everyone i've talked to, this is as good a tire as any to run, and I was able to pick some up real cheap. Some trucks run TSL Boggers on the back, but they tend to slide a lot. Most everyone runs co-ops on the front.

Hope to get some Ford folks to come watch the races.

Tomorrow we will drop the engine in, and test fit a whole lot of things.
The truck was originally a 6.9 diesel, so we have had to do a lot of fab work to make everything fit. We custom built engine mounts to make everything match up on the transfer case and driveshafts.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:55 AM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Co-ops are a good tire. Don't see many around any more.

I know a few ford guys that I might be able to drag to the track.

I hope every thing works out so I can come. My mother in law is in the hospital right now with a severe case of pneumonia. My wife had a trip planned for Georgia that weekend. I am sure that it is off now. My MIL was going with us. If she is out of the hospital by then I am sure she wont be up for any traveling.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:04 AM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got it on the calender, can't say i'll make it with the drag truck, but i might show up to watch.

man i'd like to get that mud drag truck back on the track, but the pocket book doesn't, lol! i got to many projects all at once, lol!!

Old 07-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Tangi Cowboy
Cargo Master
It might be possible, after I check with the other half to find out if she has anything planned for that weekend, will let you know later on

Old 07-20-2008, 02:52 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
It would be nice to have a gtg at the races.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Todds79
Senior User
Sounds good to me. Like I said, we will have a good spot at the water hole, and if anyone wants to show up, we will have a good time.

Just an update, Installed the engine today, and it was a royal pain in the a**. We tried to put it in with the headers installed, and that didn't work. Had to remove the headers, and the fabricated frame mounts for the engine. We were then able to mount the engine to the transmission, re-install the frame mounts and the engine sat down perfect.

It took a sawzall to the right fenderwell to make right header fit, but the left header required removal of the factory steering shaft. Now we get to install a custom shaft with removable steering wheel ($$$$). We are about 70% complete--maybe, so we have a lot of nights, and next weekend to--- Git-er-Done!!

And-- this color is NOT the color it will be in the end, this is how we got it, for now we will paint it black, with no numbers or logos. We'll do more work this winter, for now we just need track time.

Attached Images    
Old 07-21-2008, 06:32 AM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
It is looking good.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Todds79
Senior User
Cranked it this afternoon. Ran it in at about 2000 rpms to break in the cam.. Let it sit for a while and cool down. After restarting it never broke 180 degrees water temp, and it pulled 19.5 inches of vacuum at 1000 rpm. Seems strong going into first and reverse. With the stall converter, it just engages at about 3000 rpms and spins the tires. We need to take it out and flog it through the gears to see if high range or low range is the ticket. Nothin but grins right now, should be ready for this weekend.
Hope to see some folks.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:37 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Todd. What gears are you running in the truck?

Unless I have to come back to work and move my rig I will be at the races. It will be close to me moving the rig come the weekend. Unfortunatly I have to come back and work 3 days.

Did you ever get your other truck finished?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Todds79
Senior User
We're running 3.54 front and rear. In the stock class you have to run front and rear with the same ratio. Took the truck out on the highline behind the house about seven. Had it in low range, ran it up to about 2500 rpm and nailed the throttle. It hit the 5700 rpm rev limiter before you could shift. We only have about 250 feet to test in the back yard. (my wife just loves me digging up the yard!!) In high range we went straight from first to second. And it hauled ***. After we parked it, my son said when he nailed the throttle, his arm pulled to second. He didn't realize the torque it would produce. Seems like we should do OK in high range. Plan to take it to a more open area to check it out for three gears. Still grinnin ear to ear--Love them Ford big blocks!!!

As for my Crew Cab, it has been sitting neglected in a shop for about 5 months now. After water sanding and polishing, I installed all the seals, rubber and glass. She is covered in dust, and sitting on blocks(the chrome rims are on the race truck). I have only a limited amount of time(and money), and until we run the rest of the race season, it will sit neglected. I am not real happy about this, but building something to race, and working on it with your son makes putting off the crew cab worth it.

Hope some of ya'll can make it to the race. We will have a large fan gallery since this is the maiden voyage. The stock class are the first races of the day, so after this we will cook. (I'm bringing a large grill). Anyone that wants to show up will have a good place to sit and watch the show. Just bring some chairs, your beverage of choice (mine is Miller Lite), and something to throw on the grill.

The races to follow stock class make us look like we run four bangers.

Hope to see some Louisiana FTE members. We are at the very front of the water hole. Can't miss us, the red and white Ford will be there, and it will be where the PARTY is!!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:16 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang after reading the rules, i'd be in "super stock" class at twin city

i raced in the "break out" classes in Jonesville (5.50 & 5.75 break out classes).

the last times i ran were 6.01, 5.97 & 5.81............i won the first round with the 6.01, lost the second at 5.97, and lost the second time (double elimination) with the 5.81.........he ran a 5.79.........4 hundreth of a second more and he'd have broke out, and i'd have moved on, dang.........o well it's all in good racin!!

just wondering how much actual "inspecting" do they do? i'm just wondering if they watch your drive shaft to see your gear ratio, check your vac, ect.... i'd pass the vacume, carb, safety ect, but ratio NO i would not. i'll admit that right now, and tires, well mine are 38.5 so that kicks me out of the street class, lol!!

have fun man. i might take a drive up there, see how it's ran. i'll look for ya if i make it!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Todds79
Senior User
As far as inspecting, from what I understand they check vacuum on all trucks before the first race of the day. All safety gear is checked, and most obvious stuff. I doubt they would check gear ratios, unless someone was to protest. A protest costs lots of money, so someone would need a very good reason to do this.

Quick Reply: Mud Truck Races--Monroe--Sunday Aug 3