Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

I guess I have committed a cardinal sin

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:29 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by LxMan1
The gear spacing in the Hemi 5-speed auto is pretty good with the 3.92 gear.
Tows 7500lbs just fine. (All that I have tried so far)

The Ford plug problem in the 2V heads was fixed in the mid 2003 model.
They added 4 more threads to the heads.
Then the 3V came out and more problems arose. Noisy cam phasers and spark plugs that seized up in the heads. I think it only too 2 years to fix those problems.
I had no engine problems with my 5.4L in my 01 except @ 73K it sounded like a diesel cold due to piston slap.
In late 08' production 3V 4.6l, 5.4l and 6.8l Ford did another plug redesign. Heres a link to the pic of the new plug is the top one. Image of New 08' 3V Modular Spark Plug vs Old - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 07-20-2008, 11:35 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tre-E_Ford
First of all, for diesels you can't get any better than an Allison transmission. Hands down.I work with the guy who makes the factory calibrations for the chevy transmissions, and he's very good at it. The new 6 speeds in all the trucks are great, and you can't go wrong with a 6.0l for gas towing, that's why its the only gas motor for new 3/4 - 1 tons.

I have to say that the GMC 8500s that I used to drive for the Public Works used to eat first gears in thier Allisons all the time. The 2000 needed a rebuild at 18,000 miles.

Personally, I feel like the Torqshift is the greatest transmission ever built. I have never had one fail on me.

Mike

Old 07-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BLK94F150

Personally, I feel like the Torqshift is the greatest transmission ever built. I have never had one fail on me.
Give me some miles for a reference point. Ive had c4s go 300k without a single hickup and they arent known to be one of the better ones. If your talkin they held up 20k miles I wouldnt be impressed but if your sittin on 200k well then we are talkin.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:38 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
Give me some miles for a reference point. Ive had c4s go 300k without a single hickup and they arent known to be one of the better ones. If your talkin they held up 20k miles I wouldnt be impressed but if your sittin on 200k well then we are talkin.
Our Torqshift has 105,000 miles on it, its been hammered pretty good with tuning and our 5th wheel.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:25 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
I hate to sound like a broken record, but here goes anyway.

I'm a firefighter/medic so an F350 is small stuff to us. We have them all over and they're practicly disposable. Right now between two 04s squads and an 08 squad we have about 170,000 extremely hard miles. Lots and lots of WOT, lots of flooring before it's engaged, lots of shifting between reverse and drive and vice versa while still in motion, lots of shifting into park while still in motion, and lots of at the speed limiter (85MPH @ around 3400 RPM) extended driving.

For every 10,000 miles it's about 1,000 hours of run time, so that's a lot of time in operation compared to the miles.

Not only are they tough as nails, but they shift smooth, have enough gears to keep you in the power band, and best of all have Tow/Haul that is really awesome so you don't always have to use the brakes to slow down and throw the people in the back around.

In addition to those 3, I can think of at least 2 more that I drive or have driven fairly regularly with no problems but far less miles. (One is an 2003 with 2,200 miles, yes 2,200)

Also you see all the other depts in your area and I haven't heard any of them complaining about being in a crappy reserve squad because of a tranny failure.

Mike

Old 07-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Well, I expect 150k trouble free miles from any tranny regardless of duty cycle. If not its a steamin pile of doodoo. I believe they are rated for mileage just like diesels, i.e. 80% are sposed to go 200k with no major repairs.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:59 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I also know a gentleman making around 570rwhp with his 6.4, on a BONE STOCK Torqshift.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6076793

Has (I think) around 25,000miles on it now, most of it making that amount of power, doing dyno runs, drag runs etc. etc.
I don't know of another modern transmission that can take that abuse. Certainly not the Allison, nor the Dodge transmission.

In my opinion, it beats the strength the C6, with none of its usability downsides (i.e. it has 6 gears, the T/H feature etc. etc.)

Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
I also know a gentleman making around 570rwhp with his 6.4, on a BONE STOCK Torqshift.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6076793

Has (I think) around 25,000miles on it now, most of it making that amount of power, doing dyno runs, drag runs etc. etc.
I don't know of another modern transmission that can take that abuse. Certainly not the Allison, nor the Dodge transmission.

In my opinion, it beats the strength the C6, with none of its usability downsides (i.e. it has 6 gears, the T/H feature etc. etc.)
I saw that too. He says he beat the hell out of that truck with hundreds of dyno runs and many back to back. Says a lot for the engine and trans, at least to me.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:36 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Knowing Matt too... he would have beat on it.
I think he got the record for the first 6.0l melt down. And I think he personally melted around 5 sets of 6.0l pistons.

I forgot to add - he is using a 200shot of Nitrous too - which wasn't used on that Dyno run, as far as I am aware.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
torqshift gone at 36,192 miles - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com
tranny failures/driving styles???? - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com
Problems with torqshift - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com
Found quite a few with problems at power levels of 400rwhp and under. This guy must really know something. Other than a lot of early uprate problems and the problematic 05s with the snap ring problems they seem to be holding up great. Once the aftermarket chip makers figured out to hold the tc in lockup during shifts trannies quit getting fried at low uprate levels. Ive been very impressed with this tranny since they made it.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:41 PM
V10_Cougar
Elder User
Originally Posted by kermmydog
I have talked to the guys on the V10 forum & most like them & have had good luck. One of our members gave me a side by side comparison of the two both pulling the same heavy 5th wheel over I believe a 900 mile route. He said they were equal except the 6.0 ran at a higher RPM. The Chevy had a slightly better mileage.
I'm not a V10 fan. Dodges V10 was known for breaking cranks under heavy pulling. Ford has had IMO to many problems with their engines. Spark plugs blowing out of the head, just stuff. The Chevy 6.0 empty in a 3/4T 4x4 gets about 2 mpg better mileage. Also if I blow a Chevy engine or trans you can buy FACTORY REMANS & CRATE ENGINES & have any shop install them with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty, that is good at any GM dealership in the country. Ford & Dodge don't offer that. I buy used not new.
What I mean by a good gas motor might be a 6.8 V8. I run a 460 right now with 190,000 miles & I have no doubt it will go 300,000 miles if the truck doesn't nickel & dime me to death. I can tell you this I ran a 1979 CK20 4x4 Chevy to 200,000 miles in 10 years & a friend of mine bought it from me & ran it to 350,000 miles before he sold it. The cost to run that Chevy was far less that my Ford at 10 years. I'm not talking gas & oil. I'm talking steering boxes, A/C Compressors, leaking front & rear end seals, dash on Ford breaking apart, ignition switches, fuel pump problems, radiators 3 in the Ford. & the list goes on. I like my Ford & was sold on Fords in the 50s-70s, in the 60s-70s Ford trucks were hands down better than any truck on the market. They aren't close to what they were, today. GM & Dodge have caught up to Ford. GM builds a better truck than in the 50-70s. You never heard of FRAME ISSUES like in the 70s.
Anyway just my opinion. I may never buy another truck for heavy use. But I own two Chevy's today one is a 93 Lumina with 245,000 miles never a tranny or engine. I bought a 97 Blazer 4x4 with 90,000 miles the engine was replaced before I bought it. It gets a consistent 21 MPG on the road & 16 MPG in town, That better than any of the 5 Rangers & 1 Explorer, I owned.
I will tell you this much. I have 1 1/2 years to go with my truck and the only thing I spent on it was a $249.00 Motorcraft Alternator and routine maintanence. Trucks gets 9 mpg, it has a 6 inch suspension lift and 37 inch super swamper tires. The truck has been solid.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Tre-E_Ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLK94F150
I have to say that the GMC 8500s that I used to drive for the Public Works used to eat first gears in thier Allisons all the time. The 2000 needed a rebuild at 18,000 miles.

Mike
You know its all about preferences, and uses. the 8500's that they test and we use have not had any problems. I've seen what they can do, and I do believe that its what they use in the Abrams tank. But as I said, it's all personal preference.

Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
I remember hearing this almost verbatim when allison trannies had the highest warranty ratio in the industry at something like 4.72 per 100 units. Then the same guy would turn around and say the 47re was garbage even tho its warranty rate was under 2 per hundred making it the lowest at the time in the industry. Actual quality and perceived quality are not always on the same page. I like allisons and I like torqueshifts but until someone breaks into the industry fact sheet and coughs up the numbers anything anyone says must be taken with a grain of salt. Especially someone with a vested interest in the product.

The torqueshift can and does use all 6 speeds depending on conditions. The 5 speed multipliers are fantastic and I dont think they should change anything. Like I said with the very broad powerbands of todays diesel I could hit the sweetspot with 4 gears. 5 is just a bonus and 6 is gravy. I myself think that more speeds mean more parasitic losses but Im by no means a tranny expert. 3 speed with 2 planets doesnt sound like its gonna lose much efficiency over 3 speed with 1 planet. I got no clue really and manufacturers dont generally brag about drivetrain efficiency. Before lockup tc autos converted a lot of energy into heat thats why the smart money was on a manual.

I dont like towing with the 6.0 chevy if its auto but that engine with a manual is a beautiful thing.

Think your programming friend has inside infoz on warranty rates or automatic transmission efficiencies?
I'll look into specifics. And the 6.0 isn't my first choice, but it works.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 AM
fbama73
Senior User
It's understandable. We strayed from the tried and true when it came time to replace the wife's Explorer. We got a Durango.

Dodge- grab life by the mutimeter!

This POS has had more electrical problems than my last four Fords put together.

Snowball's chance in hell of me ever buying another Chrysler product unless it's older than I am.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:44 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by fbama73
It's understandable. We strayed from the tried and true when it came time to replace the wife's Explorer. We got a Durango.

Dodge- grab life by the mutimeter!

This POS has had more electrical problems than my last four Fords put together.

Snowball's chance in hell of me ever buying another Chrysler product unless it's older than I am.
We bought an 02 Dakota 4x4 4.7 new in 02 & we really disliked it. brakes failed at 65,000 miles, under powered, to get over Spring Mountain between Las Vegas & Pahrump it was second gear foot to the floor to stay at 60 miles/hour. No gas mileage 14 MPG. Just a comparison our 04 Trailblazer 4x4 4.2 would go up it in 4th gear easy. & it got 19-22 MPG.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
If you guys read reliability ratings and ownership polls you wouldnt have bought a durango or a dakota to start with. There is a reason these things are published. You would be surprised how much good info you can find and how what you think might not be accurate.
Trailblazers are friggin awesome.
LOL I actually bought an aspire, dont ask why. If I judged Ford by the aspire ford would be in trouble. I bought a brand new f150 and I swear it was in for warranty work a dozen times a year til I sold it. Front end seals, tc seals, rear end seals, this axle seal, that axle seal, drivers seat foam collapsed, turns signal switch, head light switch.. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head and I sold it before I hit 30k miles. Everybody makes a pos every now and then. Just count youself lucky every time you get a good one.

Quick Reply: I guess I have committed a cardinal sin