General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ebay's new Feedback rules

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ebay's new Feedback rules

What a friggen joke.....

SEllers can no longer leave nuetrals or negs for buyers. I had 2 non paying bidders, instead of being able to warn other sellers, my only option is a positive...

Old 07-15-2008, 04:01 PM
rywegh
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
uhhh what is the basis for that? That seems kinda strange to not allow them to use the neutral or neg feedback.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:12 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Sucks doesn't it? I have a bidder from Poland I am waiting for $$$. What's the use of selling if they won't pay? Ebay is making a problem bigger! I was thinking of going elsewhere to auction the junk I have. Any other online auction places?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've pretty much stopped buying or selling on ebay. Got some deals in the past but many folks are trying to make a living there now. Anymore, you find 100 listings of the exact same items. Only difference is shipping costs. Not what it used to be, that's for sure.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:51 PM
daddio360
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read up on this topic in the ebay community forums, because I just couldn't understand how these new changes made any sense.

The average small volume ebay sellers are almost unanimously upset about the new feedback rules & many are already boycotting or threatening to do so. Buyers (understandably) now feel little pressure to follow through on their commitments, and some either try to renegotiate the transaction afterwards or simply walk away without paying (or even responding!).

Whether true or not, the explanation for all this is that ebay is courting the so-called "mega sellers" who supposedly asked for these changes.

By the way, ebay has caved to the enormous backlash from all this & is promising to rescind some of the changes (such as counting "neutrals" as a "neg" in feedback scores).

Old 07-15-2008, 07:16 PM
IntrepidCUB
Senior User
I like it. it stops sellers from leaving retalitory feedback if the buyer leaves anyhting but positive. I have 3 negative feedbacks and all because i left a neutral and a negative feedback on a product i never received.
I agree with bryyce62 Ebay isnt what it use to be it used to be individual selling and now its businesses.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:25 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by IntrepidCUB
I like it. it stops sellers from leaving retalitory feedback if the buyer leaves anyhting but positive. I have 3 negative feedbacks and all because i left a neutral and a negative feedback on a product i never received.
Sounds like you were doing business with some shady sellers. I try to be as honest in the descriptions as if I were buying what I was selling. The wife says I am too honest. I had one lady, she had me do the auction the way she wanted and delay payment for 1 month. Sure, give her a break. After, one month she wanted to put me off some more. I checked and saw what she bought in the meantime. She was paying everyone BUT me! Told her to go pack sand! Was able to give her negative feedback before they changed the rules. She no longer has 100%.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:43 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, E-bay has pretty much screwed it up for the small sellers (they are the ones who made it worth visiting in the first place IMO). Seems like all they want are power-sellers, and most of what they have to offer is the same made in China crap that you find in Wal-Mart.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:43 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will buy sometimes off Ebay, but I quit selling a long time ago.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:12 PM
IntrepidCUB
Senior User
Originally Posted by 19704X4F250
Sounds like you were doing business with some shady sellers. I try to be as honest in the descriptions as if I were buying what I was selling. The wife says I am too honest. I had one lady, she had me do the auction the way she wanted and delay payment for 1 month. Sure, give her a break. After, one month she wanted to put me off some more. I checked and saw what she bought in the meantime. She was paying everyone BUT me! Told her to go pack sand! Was able to give her negative feedback before they changed the rules. She no longer has 100%.

One seller had over 12000 feedback it was a wrecking yard sold me a grille for a caravan ES the pic shows a white grill with red emblems which is what i needed. i get the grill its white with silver emblems and parts painted black that should be white. i emailed he said if i send it back they would send me a replacement which is good but i would have had to pay 15 dollars to ship back a 15 dollar grill . my entire thing is these businesses use stock pictures and not even what your going to get from them. I left Neutral feedback that said " Received wrong item than pictured on auction but will work" I get negative feedback that says" Beware Beware bad ebayer offered to exchange he refused. I left neutral he left negative which hurt my score . It jsut pisses me off cause im good about when i win an auction i pay with paypal within 12 hours usually and my part is fulfilled i bid, i won, and i paid its the sellers job to fulfill his end deliver the right product in a timely fashion.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:31 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
I have been buying and selling since 1995 and don't do the 1/4 of business I used to. I have had to file with paypal 5 times this year for non shippment/never received items and another 4 or 5 times with ebay for non paying bidders, I try to go by feedback when I am buying anymore but it doesn't make a difference I still seem to get beat so I kinda like the feedback system now that I can leave a negitive and not worry about getting one in return, I can't tell you how many times I had problems with something and couldn't leave a negitive feedback just because I didn't want to ruin my feedback score, and then you get the people that try to hold you hostage telling you to leave poitive feedback and they will take care of it, report them to ebay and nothing happens to them and I still get beat.I have a shelf full of stuff in the garage that I want to sell but just don't want to deal with ebay and I have had a pretty good amount of nut jobs on CL to so I am up in the air with what I have maybe a yard sale and then the trash if I can't sell it.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I think what they should have is a little different of a system. They should have a couple of categories that need to be filled out. First one buyer and seller have to fill out is how the person was to deal with. Second should be about the product just for the buyer to fill out. Third should be non payment for the seller to fill out, and a non shipped item for a buyer to fill out.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:30 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Interped, fwiw, you should have taken a picture and filed a claim for receiving an item not as described. Then it would have been up to the seller to send you a prepaid label to get their wrong grill back.

imho, As a small selelr, I think their changes stink. I had 150+ sales last year, maybe 2 since they changed.

Last edited by rebocardo; 07-16-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: more info added
Old 07-16-2008, 04:20 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by IntrepidCUB
One seller had over 12000 feedback it was a wrecking yard sold me a grille for a caravan ES the pic shows a white grill with red emblems which is what i needed. i get the grill its white with silver emblems and parts painted black that should be white. i emailed he said if i send it back they would send me a replacement which is good but i would have had to pay 15 dollars to ship back a 15 dollar grill . my entire thing is these businesses use stock pictures and not even what your going to get from them. I left Neutral feedback that said " Received wrong item than pictured on auction but will work" I get negative feedback that says" Beware Beware bad ebayer offered to exchange he refused. I left neutral he left negative which hurt my score . It jsut pisses me off cause im good about when i win an auction i pay with paypal within 12 hours usually and my part is fulfilled i bid, i won, and i paid its the sellers job to fulfill his end deliver the right product in a timely fashion.
Now, I know why Ebay changed the rules! It is because of sellers like that, that you had to deal with. With the large volume that they sell, they will use the same picture for the next identical item they sell. Lazy on their part for not using an exact picture of the item they are selling. Negative feedback was uncalled for by them. They sold you the wrong part, not the one pictured. They should've fixed THEIR mistake at THEIR cost.
There is a way to withdraw negative feedback but I don't know how to. Maybe someone will chime in with that answer.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:48 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
I think that if a buyer doesnt pay, the seller should get the neg option

Quick Reply: Ebay's new Feedback rules