1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

truck is kicking my a$$

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
mcdavidson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a pressure valve you can test your pressure with. Facing the engine from the front, it is on the right side of the fuel bowl and looks just like a valve stem valve. You can use a 90 to 120 pound tire gauge to test the pressure.

Fuel pressure should be between 55-80 lbs, if it is not, you will need to do the fuel pressure shim mod (do a search on this, there is a lot of info on it, it is inserting a bb in the valve). Be aware if you use a tire gauge it probably will be worthless when you are done.

If you do the MOD and you are still weak start looking at the fuel pump.

Mike

Old 07-14-2008, 11:55 AM
MikeFromShiloh
Senior User
I am lost. When my truck does not have enough power (some dumb oss trying to pull a D8 Cat) the motor will choke down. But that is true with a manual trans. And the auto trans I have over loaded never rev like this one. You can tell the truck is overloaded.

From what I have read and the symptoms, the motor sounds like it is running fine, plenty of power. If all the tranny shops agree the trans is checking good and not slipping, what else can cause the trans not to engage. I would look to the computer, how much control does it have? The transfer case could be it but this has already been brought up.

When/if the cps is going bad, most of the time the motor does not run correctly. You know there is a power problem. There may be a bad sensor, computer getting bad info resulting in bad info going to the trans???

good luck be sure to let us know what you find

Old 07-14-2008, 12:03 PM
mcdavidson
Senior User
One step at a time...

If you want to test the fuel pressure it's a five minute process for test...

Old 07-14-2008, 12:10 PM
MikeFromShiloh
Senior User
If the fuel pressure was low, the truck would not run correctly. Mine would not anyway. How would a truck run up to 3000 rpm and not pull when it is starving for fuel???? I have ran all kinds of engines (cars, trucks, tractors, dozers,....gas, diesel) out of fuel, and every one of the went dead. Sometimes right before they die, they will rev up a little due to the mixture getting lean but they still pull .......

I really think you are looking in the wrong place for the problem.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Core250PSD
Senior User
I went to change the oil, and I had a small leak around the bottom of the bell housing. I tried tracing the leak and it went clear up into the vally of the engine. I didn't notice before when I changed my filter, and cleaned the scrreen in there, but all the oily coating looked damp. Can I take off the black lid thing, and preasure was my engine, and valley, or with the water preasure mess something up, I just want to see if I can tell if there is a leak in the valley. If there is, I'm betting it's the lift pump.

Last edited by Core250PSD; 07-14-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: pics
Old 07-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Core250PSD
Senior User
do you check the fuel pressure with the engine running, or shut off?

Old 07-14-2008, 01:51 PM
MikeFromShiloh
Senior User
Check fuel pressure with the engine running.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:20 PM
rockyrider
Senior User
Here's a shot in the dark, I remember this one from a year or so ago.
What brand Fuel Filter did you use? There are some, and don't remember which one, that the center stem is too short to fully depress the fuel inlet needle valve. Hope this will jog somebody else's memory and they can give the full scoop.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:54 PM
mcdavidson
Senior User
Originally Posted by rockyrider
Here's a shot in the dark, I remember this one from a year or so ago.
What brand Fuel Filter did you use? There are some, and don't remember which one, that the center stem is too short to fully depress the fuel inlet needle valve. Hope this will jog somebody else's memory and they can give the full scoop.
I remember a post on that issue last week....

Old 07-14-2008, 03:15 PM
mcdavidson
Senior User
Originally Posted by Core250PSD
Can I take off the black lid thing, and preasure was my engine, and valley, or with the water preasure mess something up, I just want to see if I can tell if there is a leak in the valley.
Can I take off the black lid thing, and pressure wash my engine, and valley?

No DO NOT REMOVE THE FILTER CAP AND PRESSURE WASH

or with the water pressure mess something up?

You can pressure wash CAREFULLY... Be sure to not get your air cleaner wet and if you do, dry it before running, be SURE your Y pipe is sealed and don't hit the Turbo, ALSO it's prolly best that the engine is cooler (not hot)...

Old 07-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Core250PSD
Senior User
I meant the lid that covers the fuel filter, and bowl. The piece that says turbo diesel on it. I would never take my fuel filter out and preasure wash. Just don't want any electronics gettin screwed up. Hope the pics help out with what I'm seein, and maybe help describe things better.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:42 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would not use a pressure washer. I have done that twice and both times had issues. Simple green and garden hose is all that is needed.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:09 PM
mcdavidson
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
I would not use a pressure washer. I have done that twice and both times had issues. Simple green and garden hose is all that is needed.
Tim is the man...

But I have to say I have not had any issues (and I pressure washed mine to find my leak)

Don't hit me Tim....!

Old 07-14-2008, 05:29 PM
MallardSlayer07
Junior User
Ok guys this is college student idea here. (Dont bash me too hard please) I use regular old foaming SCRUBBING BUBBLES that you use as a house hold cleaner and for some reason you just spray anything and everything with the engine warm not HOT or Cold just warm and then pressure wash and anything and everything will just fall off.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:09 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

EW that engine needs a bath that is real oily, sounds like you have more than one problem, like already said you can,t rev to 3000 rpm and not speed up your tranny is slipping it has to be .

what kind of scanner was used to scan your truck?

Is the OD light flashing on the shifter? is the light working?

Quick Reply: truck is kicking my a$$