Notices

Engine Bay.. Can I use Tire Foam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Bay.. Can I use Tire Foam?

Hi guys. I was wondering if I can safely use tire black on my hoses / intake / anything black?
I'm tired of seeing those water spots and dirt spots five minutes after I give my engine a through cleaning. I use engine bright and then hose everything down. I want my motor to look clean and my surrounding parts shiny. I've used the tire black spray foam before and never had anything bad happen, but I want to make sure I'm not going to catch something on fire. Is there something that is made for this purpose...?
I'd really like to make my engine compartment look as clean as it really is.

Also, what kind of spray on detailer do you use? Miguel's (the red bottle. don't have the bottle handy to get the correct spelling of the name) leaves a residue that streaks and I cannot get off!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can tell you an even better trick. Get a cheap bottle of windex style glass cleaner and what ever dressing (tire/vinyl/interior) and spray them both on the engine, suspension, wheel wells, ect. Then start the engine, in about 15 minutes the windex will evaporate and take the dressing with it, leaving a nice finish.

In short, yes you can use tire foam in the engine bay. Just read the label for paint and wire warnings.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:19 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ReAX
I can tell you an even better trick. Get a cheap bottle of windex style glass cleaner and what ever dressing (tire/vinyl/interior) and spray them both on the engine, suspension, wheel wells, ect. Then start the engine, in about 15 minutes the windex will evaporate and take the dressing with it, leaving a nice finish.

In short, yes you can use tire foam in the engine bay. Just read the label for paint and wire warnings.
Thanks ReAx! Tire foam can hurt paint? I looked all over the can but couldn't find anything like that. I took my truck out to make sure nothing was going to catch on fire. Didn't want to park my truck at work today to have someone say "gee, someone's truck is on fire."

Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Some tire cleaners have an acid for a cleaning agent, which is why they say not to get it on your clear coated wheels.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 PM
wxmcpo
New User
I use Simple Green to clean the engine and then follow it up with hyperdressing to shine it up. Here's my latest results.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:02 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
With COP engines, you need to really careful how much water you pour over it and where it goes. The spark plug holes hole water and short out the coils.

Do you let the simple green dry or are you hosing it off?

Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Sawsalesman
Freshman User
I usually spray the Simple green on the engine when it is cold. I first mist the engine bay down with the hose. Then I spray the engine bay with the Simple Green. I let it set for 5-10 minutes and then I lightly spray it off. I think it works well and I'm just very careful as to where I spray the water and Simple Green.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
I have had no problems with it so far and my engine bay STILL looks great. I think I'll keep using it.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:53 PM
rplatt56
Senior User
I spray it down with Turtle Wax Ice. Does a great job and lasts for a while.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Svets96
Senior User
I spray down the engine, scrub any heavy soiled areas with a rag. After all the build up is off hose down the engine very carefully. I take pledge the furniture cleaner and spary it on all the plastic and rubber pieces. Looks good and new.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:45 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I haven't tried pledge yet. WD40 has been my detailer of choice, but I'll have to give it a try.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
I dont use tirefoam I use the bleach white tire cleaner. Spray it all over under the hood, engine/firewall, radiator, wheel wells, battery, ect. Let sit about 5 to 10 mins then hose it all down with the water hose then crank the engine up and warm it up fully to dry the water out and done. Never had electrical problems with it and it eats the grease off the engine block better than that engine de greaser. That stuff requires multiple uses to clean the engine when I use it by directions but the bleach white cleaner takes it off in one use.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Damon_Tirerack
Former Vendor
Use a 2 gallon garden sprayer to apply cleaner and rinse. It has just enough pressure to do the job and uses very little water. Plus, you can get the wand into tight places and get just what you want. I use Simple Green 25% and water rinse. I've never had a water related issue.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:57 AM
darren47
New User
Originally Posted by wxmcpo
I use Simple Green to clean the engine and then follow it up with hyperdressing to shine it up. Here's my latest results.

Wow, Beautiful. Where can you buy "Simple Green"? Thanks

Old 08-23-2008, 05:35 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Just about any place that carries cleaning supplies. Hardware stores, general stores.

Quick Reply: Engine Bay.. Can I use Tire Foam?