2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure monitors

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:17 PM
DesertStorm
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire pressure monitors

I have read all the posts about taking the sensors out of the stock rims and putting them in the aftermarket rims etc. Is this really necessary? Cant the pcm be reflashed to remove the sensor pickup? Just curious.

One more thing, a friend told me that the trip meter can read rpm's by some magic combination of button pushing? Anyone ever heard of this?

Old 06-29-2008, 05:04 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
Since the TPMS is a federally mandated requirement. I think any one who offers a means to disable might be at risk for liability related issues. But that doesn't matter to us, right?

You can purchase, thru the aftermarket new wheel bands so you can move your existing sensors and craddles from the OEM wheels to your new ones. It's pretty cheap, like 20 a wheel and very easy to do. Or go without the sensors and just live with an annoying TPMS light/tone from the dash.

I've read the same thing, but I think it's more of a system check that you can read and then returns to the normal od functions.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:57 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by DesertStorm
I have read all the posts about taking the sensors out of the stock rims and putting them in the aftermarket rims etc. Is this really necessary? Cant the pcm be reflashed to remove the sensor pickup? Just curious.

One more thing, a friend told me that the trip meter can read rpm's by some magic combination of button pushing? Anyone ever heard of this?
The sensors have to be re-installed on the new rims!
To read RPMs,push and hold the trip odometer button as you start the engine.It will then display all kinds of information;just scroll thru it until the tach reading comes up.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:39 PM
DesertStorm
Elder User
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
The sensors have to be re-installed on the new rims!
To read RPMs,push and hold the trip odometer button as you start the engine.It will then display all kinds of information;just scroll thru it until the tach reading comes up.

Thanks alot. How long does the tach. function stay on?

Old 06-29-2008, 03:44 PM
BillC
Elder User

I just went out and tried the odometer trick and I was surprised at how much info there was. BlueOvalFitter do you know where you can get any references to all that info?

Old 06-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
You don't have to replace them on the F-150 luckily...you'll just get that annoying little icon on the dash.

Alot of cars nowadays are incorporating this as a safety feature. The TMPS light comes on and the car's ECM will go into Limp Mode.

still, I personally would do it. Especially as it's Federally Mandated and you never know what Inspection Stations will do