Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

HP Wars, Dodge Beats Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HP Wars, Dodge Beats Toyota

Dodge lied, claiming the new 09 HEMI will have 380HP and 404 ft-lbs. In fact, it will have 390HP and 407 ft-lbs

PickupTrucks.com: Dodge Announces Updated Powertrain Figures for 2009 Ram 1500

In terms of HP/Liter, Dodge is now in the lead, but they don't have the best HP, that would be chevy with their 6.2.

To give ford some credit though, going by the chart at the bottom, their gear spacing on the automatic seems really suited to towing and truck work

Old 06-26-2008, 06:45 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think HP wars will be short lived, MPG wars will eventually be taken over. The EPA estimates arn't too bad but are usually fiqured high. I can get 12mpg around town with my 6.8l SD. I think Ford will have to step up the power a bit to be competitive. However despite Ford usual lower power outputs their trucks usually make the best tow vehicles due to Fords powerband and rugged build.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:06 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the price of fuel, hp wars are over. The new 2009 Ford and Dodge truck will hit the market this fall with a thud, totally irrelevant.

Jim

Old 07-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
With the price of fuel, hp wars are over. The new 2009 Ford and Dodge truck will hit the market this fall with a thud, totally irrelevant.

Jim
HP once again does not determine mileage. The new ram is more aerodynamic then the previous one, and the engine is more efficient. the hemi gets the same or better mileage then the 4.7.

The new F-150 I doubt will hit with a "thud" either. Its new 6 speed tranny should help with mileage in the city.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:18 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the new F-150 will hit with a 'thud' BUT it won't be because it's not a nice truck. I'm sure it'll be groovy. It's just the market right now. I don't think a 6-speed tranny will mean a pile of horse-pucky to somebody looking to get 30+ mpg at $4-$5 a gal gas.

These gas prices really will seperate those folks who 'need' a truck and those who 'want' a truck. My guess - there have been more people in the 'want' a truck bucket for many years now that will empty out.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think you'll here many other thuds from the Dodge, Chevy, GMC and Toyota trucks also. Fords will just be the most pronounced because its heavier than the rest.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:08 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
These gas prices really will seperate those folks who 'need' a truck and those who 'want' a truck. My guess - there have been more people in the 'want' a truck bucket for many years now that will empty out.
You are echoing a quote of a car dealer friend of mine. I was talking to him the other day and he told me that he and his co-workers just cant move anything bigger than a 1/2 ton. I tried to trade my V10 off for another but I cant get squat for a trade in and therefore it isnt worth my time.

He said all the doctors/lawyers/*******s who want to look like a big man who buy the big rigs for no apparent reason are all trading in for cars and saturating the markets with big trucks. The market is overbooked with all the big trucks and the ranchers/farmers/construction guys, people who NEED a big truck, dont make up a big enough share of the market to even it out anytime soon.

Right now if I was just looking to walk onto a lot and buy a V10 with no trade the prices cant be beat, dealers are just trying to move them at a break even/take a loss scenario. Theoretically the demand will go down and therefore the sticker price should as well eventually. Do any of you remember way back when (early 90's or so) when the price of a 1 ton dually wasnt that much more than a 1/2 ton?

With the economy in the shape its in I would say right now is the time to buy a truck because when we (the people that NEED trucks) finally get the market evened out the sticker price and the trucks actual worth will have caught back up as well. I dont pretend to be an economic analyst but I think in a year things will begin to climb back uphill.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:18 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
390hp in a dd truck out of 5.7litres, great for dodge, but bad for reliability (same for toyota) when used in a work situation, that motor ain't gonna last a heck of a long time.

my .02 cents.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by mustange70
390hp in a dd truck out of 5.7litres, great for dodge, but bad for reliability (same for toyota) when used in a work situation, that motor ain't gonna last a heck of a long time.

my .02 cents.
I wouldn't say so, the hemi is fairly stout design, 4 bolt cross bolted mains, fairly thick block.

I mean the 5.4 modular in the Ford GT is pushing 540+ HP in racing applications, which is probably more stress then a truck engine could ever hope to have, and they are doing fine.

Complete engine failures are rare these days.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
And with the 390hp from the Dodge, comes even better mileage.
And yes, the Hemi is a stout engine. Even has 2 plugs per cylinder just like a top fuel Hemi

Old 07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most businesses who intend on really working a truck hard are going to buy a diesel anyway. These high output gasoline engines are not intended for work trucks and that is the problem, they will not sell now that gas is so expensive. Anyway, how much power did the much revered 300ci Ford six make, 140? It had to work hard all the time to haul a load. These new engines are just loafing most of the time.

Jim

Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 PM
less
Posting Guru
HP wars will soon give way to gas mileage wars.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:59 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Most businesses who intend on really working a truck hard are going to buy a diesel anyway. These high output gasoline engines are not intended for work trucks and that is the problem, they will not sell now that gas is so expensive. Anyway, how much power did the much revered 300ci Ford six make, 140? It had to work hard all the time to haul a load. These new engines are just loafing most of the time.

Jim

Can we all get over the 300 I6. Yes, it lasts forever. Yes they are slow. If they brought it back and offered it against anything out right now, I would not be buying it just like I wouldn't buy it vs the 5.8 when it was out or even the 5.0.

Mike

Old 07-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by less
HP wars will soon give way to gas mileage wars.
Todays HP war is not like the one back in the 60s. Back then, it was who could make the biggest engine, and get the most power.

Today its who can squeeze as much power as possible out of a certain displacement (or smaller), while still meeting emissions and not being horrible on gas. So out of this HP war, we are getting gradually smaller more efficient engines, putting out more power then the previous generation

Old 07-11-2008, 05:28 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Horsepower schmorsepower. The real question is who is getting the first lithium ion plug in hybrid or full electric to market.

Quick Reply: HP Wars, Dodge Beats Toyota