1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

10 slave cylinders in a year!? wtf?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hmmmm... cody, do you think i should go ahead and buy that snout for the front of the tranny before we pull the tranny or should i just go buy the clutch master, slave, and that pivot arm? i need to replace that pivot arm anyways because IIRC it was getting worn out last time we did the clutch. i will call ford tomorrow and ask them about the pre bled unit. last time i got a slave cylinder from A-Line they asked me if i wanted the pre bled unit which was like $125 i think. so there is one for our trucks i'm sure.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:59 PM
my79f
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
ummmm travis i would also have to agree with cody on the your clutch is "scary" part.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:09 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
LoL. thanks guys. i really have to agree with that too. i had to drive into austin this morning to renew my license since today is my 18th b-day and was outrageously scared of my clutch the whole time so i shifted with out the clutch until i was almost back home again. LoL

Old 07-01-2008, 05:02 PM
tjbuggie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Happy B-day Travis, Austin you need to swap that turbo before it blows up. I will see you guys Thurs. at the races!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
my79f
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
chris i need to find some time at the shop to do it. maybe we could have a turbo/clutch night at the shop. yall do travis's clutch while i pull my turbo.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
austin, that's actually a pretty good idea. both projects would probably take about the same amount of time.

Thanks Chris. i finally bought my first can of snuff legally today.. LoL
i still need to call dan this week. probably tomorrow b/c i just got my new phone today so i actually have a phone to call him off of.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:07 PM
ftowelding
Senior User
I was checking back in to see how your fix was going, and realized that the most recent prebled unit I was talking about was on a 99PSD, but I do know that the other truck was late 80's early 90's, so I think that the system did exist at some point in time for the older trucks. If I find out anything more I'll let you know.
Justin

Old 07-01-2008, 06:21 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Happy birthday Travis.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine was doing the same thing what i did was i found an aluminum one. go to oreilleys and tell them u have a 92 ford diesel with standard and this should get you the aluminum one. dont stop till you find one that is all aluminum. they work easier, last longer, and are cheaper than the plastic ones. if you cant find an aluminum one. pm me and ill help you out.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 PM
1950gmcelc
Senior User
I had the same problem with my truck. I changed the clutch to a solid fly wheel and used a slave out of a 97 I think cuz it had a bleeder valve. What finally fixed my problem was a new clutch master cylinder. The bushings in the master was letting fluid pass and not pushing the slave out far enough.
GOOD LUCK

Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 AM
97 HD
Elder User
Originally Posted by 89ford73
mine was doing the same thing what i did was i found an aluminum one. go to oreilleys and tell them u have a 92 ford diesel with standard and this should get you the aluminum one. dont stop till you find one that is all aluminum. they work easier, last longer, and are cheaper than the plastic ones. if you cant find an aluminum one. pm me and ill help you out.
I thought about trying to find a metal one. Ive even been sniffing arround trying to figure out if this same transmission from a diffrent truck might have a diffrent slave. IIRC dodge used the zf5 on some trucks or maybe a bigger vehicle like a UPS truck or something from International. Im open for ideas.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Man, you guys are crazy. I cannot stand a soft clutch pedal.

I have an issue with mine like there is air in the line. Makes it so soft the first 2 pumps, you don't think it will work.

There are lots of tricks to bleeding a master cylinder, but a prebled system might not solve your problems.

It sounds like you need to get the right ammount of pull from the slave as well, not enough and your just straining the system.

I would definatly go for a metal unit if I could. My master push rod is plastic. WTF ????
I'm supprized that even works long time. My last one busted (right next to tranny shop i use, thank god) right where the rod connects to the pedal.
Shoulda just baught one of those kits to put the new bushing at the end. I didn't even think about it till recently that that is where those kits go.

If clutch alignment is off as well, that will put some strain on your system, or an off kilter clutch.
Hope some of this info helps.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:28 AM
tjbuggie
Junior User
Hey Austin, thats sounds like a good plan to me, just let me know when ya'll want to do it, and I will plan to be there!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
thats going to be one busy night, but that really would work pretty well. cody and chris, thanks for the happy b-day. LoL

Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Talyn
Man, you guys are crazy. I cannot stand a soft clutch pedal.
Talyn, come push in my clutch and you will go running back to yours. LoL. my mom can't drive my truck b/c the clutch is too stiff. LoL!!!

Quick Reply: 10 slave cylinders in a year!? wtf?!?!