1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

10 slave cylinders in a year!? wtf?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
10 slave cylinders in a year!? wtf?!?!

ok today i was about to stop at a light and when i went to hit the clutch the slave blew AGAIN and sent the truck out into the middle of the highway in 3rd gear and almost got hit by a car. after this i really want to figure out what is causing this and get it fixed ASAP. this is either the 10th or the 11th slave cylinder i put in it in the past year and i don't know why it's going through so many of them but it's annoying. my clutch petal is pretty tough to push in at all times even with the single mass flywheel and stuff.

when the slave blows it blows the same way everytime. when i say blow i mean the slave cylinder starts shooting fluid out of it when i hit the clutch and does not work. the clutch petal of course sticks to the floor when the slave cylinder goes out. sorry for the long thread, but i would appreciate any input that y'all may have b/c right now i'm kinda at a loss to what the problem is and all i can figure is that the throwout bearing is binding up and making it go out. thanks guys!!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 03:05 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strokin.. This sounds like a serious/dangerous problem here. I don't have any advice, but do look forward to reading this thread. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
all i can figure is that the throwout bearing is binding up and making it go out. thanks guys!!!!
Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

It's the only thing that I can think of that will cause the clutch hydraulic system to over pressurize and pop.

Be sure to replace everything including the snout on the front of the trans that the throwout bearing rides on.....Master cylinder an slave cylinder too.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:40 PM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

It's the only thing that I can think of that will cause the clutch hydraulic system to over pressurize and pop.

Be sure to replace everything including the snout on the front of the trans that the throwout bearing rides on.....Master cylinder an slave cylinder too.
Which clutch/pp did you swap in? Probably what Cuda said with the binding, but I remeber reading when I did my SMF swap some clutch kits required a heavier duty hyd system. Possible? My 96 w/a Luk is ALOT softer than the stock DMF in my 97, first time I went to shift the 96 thought something was broke it was so soft.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:56 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Just curious if your replacing the slave cylinder with motorcrafts? I took my original into napa and found the motorcraft to be noticably larger, so I got a new ford one. But anyways thats not YOUR problem. Stuff just isnt meshing together like it should and would fix it right now before you get into another situation and cause a wreck.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:41 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
i'm calling Dan tomorrow to see what my clutch is going to cost me so that i can have my clutch here when i pull my tranny. i tried putting oil on the throwout bearing and that snout on the front of the tranny on my 10th slave cylinder, but that didn't do it. I have a LUK SMF kit in there right now that i put in a little over a year ago and after i put it in it seemed a lot smoother, but it got really tight over time now guessing b/c of the throwout bearing binding up. it's like i still have a DMF in there. my mom can barely even push in the clutch on my truck.

i'm going to get a clutch from Dan so i will be replacing the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, nose cone, and i'm going to get a sealed clutch master and slave cylinder from ford to put in and hope to god it's fixed. dang that sounds extremely expensive!!!!!!! this is the first time i have gotten a response to that question too.. thanks Jim!!!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Yea, I'd agree about that.

Though, It would seriously have to be binding to have that happen.
It's probably heating up and expanding while you are driving.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:36 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Travis, I think I'll take a stab at it..... Even thought we are the best of friends, I think it's operator error. I've driven your truck, and for all those reading this thread, his clutch is SCARY. That's the only way I could describe it.

My guess is you still have the throwout bearing screwed up from your last clutch endevor. If I recall correctly, you installed it backwards and had to pull the tranny to fix it. I think maybe you put the fork behind the bearing instead of in the groves intended for it. That would cause it to be maxed out immediately, and cause the extra pressure. There's no reason for the slave failures like that. Like I said at the house Fri. Something else is wrong with this picture. I sent you all the stuff for Dan, when your clutch gets here, I want to see it go together. If you want to do it at the shop, come on. I need to get mine in there too. Anyway, that's just my thoughts. Talk to you this weekend.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
That is typical "Duck" nice and helpful and straight to the point. Hats off to all you guys in TX. Wish I was there. Will be sometime...

Old 06-29-2008, 10:40 PM
97 HD
Elder User
Ive already put two slave cylinders on mine since I had the truck ,bout a year. Similar situation as yours push the pedal in and it stays on the floor. Both of them have failed in the same place, pinhole crack right below where the line goes in. I have an easy to push pedal and everythin is ok till one "blows" with no warning. Is there a heavy duty (possibaly metal case) one available for these trucks. Im so glad we dont have the internal slave cylinder. The idiot at the parts store trys to sell me one of those every time.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:48 AM
ftowelding
Senior User
I went through this with a couple of my friends trucks. In short there are several different slave cylinders and diferent length actuator rods. After my buddies spent too much money at NAPA and Carquest, I was tired of helping them change these things out. I went direct to Ford and discovered that there were several different options for slave cylinders, rods, etc. On both trucks we ended up buying a preassembled, pre bled, system and the corresponding actuator rod from the clutch pedal to the slave cyl. Hope this helps.
Justin

Old 06-30-2008, 01:20 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
i will be getting the pre bled system as well... cody, i can't remember what i did when i put that thing in there. and i can't believe you say it's... "SCARY" LoL. if you want to see the new clutch go in then i will certainly do it out at the shop with your help. thanks guys.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:52 PM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
Do any of you have the ford part number for the prebled kit? They told me i wasn't available for the obs trucks?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:49 PM
mwk
Senior User
Ditto on the part # for Ford's prebled. I just replaced my master and slave with a Napa unit and I hate it. My clutch is a smf that was easy to push before blowing my slave up.
I wondered if Ford might have a unit I could just bolt up and be done with it.
Good thread too.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:54 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
there is an ssm from ford about this issue, whether its installed wrong or not i do beleive that the stiffer pedal from aftermarket clutches and conversions is the culprit. the stock hydraulic set up cant handle the pressure of a worn clutch let alone a stiffer one, the ssm refers to repeat slave failure and the cause being a stiff clutch/pressureplate.

Quick Reply: 10 slave cylinders in a year!? wtf?!?!