1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Automatic Transmission getting rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,566 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Automatic Transmission getting rebuilt

I have have a 1997 F350 crew cab Power Stroke with Auto Trans. I started having problems a while back after searching this site and having the codes read, I don't have the code right here but it said transmission slip torque converter fail. The transmission shop said that I could more then likely get by with just a torque converter but recommended that he tear it down and look inside.

Is there anything special I should have him do while he is in there? Is there deferent torque converters I should be looking at?

Tim in Chelan

Old 06-20-2008, 10:36 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd look at racer x for parts, he has great prices and wont try to sell you anything you dont need...
Racer X Automotive
i dont know that much about the auto's yet..

Old 06-20-2008, 12:38 PM
searay280
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Secondary, I am having mine rebuilt as we speak, should be ready today. I was having the same codes and upon inspecting, the TC was shot and metal was in the pan which required a total rebuilt. Make sure that they put a heavy duty TC and parts in. I will post price, parts, etc.. once I pick it up today

Old 06-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,566 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by searay280
Secondary, I am having mine rebuilt as we speak, should be ready today. I was having the same codes and upon inspecting, the TC was shot and metal was in the pan which required a total rebuilt. Make sure that they put a heavy duty TC and parts in. I will post price, parts, etc.. once I pick it up today
Thanks, I just got mine out of the truck. I pulled the pan and there is a magnet with some fine metal shavings but not real bad. I the truck has 174000 miles on it it had 118000 on it when I bought it and I have never worked on the trany no idea if it had been worked on before.

Should I change my exhaust down pipe while I have the transmission out? It seems like now would be the time, but is there something special I need to do or are they just a bolt on item?

Tim