A custom system for all you bronco owners (NEED HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 07:42 PM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-20-2002, 08:36 PM
malafacha1
New User

Alright, this is my first post to the board. I have a 1990 bronco with a big *** trunk and I want a LOUD system so I figure I would make good use of the large trunk area. I also want to be able to throw my stuff in the back, so I wouldn't be able to have a huge box that took up the whole trunk. I want to put 2 12" subwoofers somewhere in the trunk, along with two amps, one for the two subs and one for the speakers, since I am getting a head unit without an amp built into it. This little amp section will be in the middle, with a dual fan setup of course, with a removable plexiglass cover so that I can have a flat floor with the visibility of the amps. I need to know from all you audio gurus if my setup is ok. The way it currently would be setup would let all the bass go into the middle of the trunk. I don't know how the sound waves and such work in that manner. What would happen if I had a lot of stuff in the open trunk area? Would it distort the sound? Are these single boxes on the sides adequate enough for one 12" woofer each? Another idea I had was to get rd of those hugeass ugly side boxes and put in slanted boxes so the bass is pointed upwards a little.

Any other bronco people who have done anything remotely near something like this and have pictures, could you please send them to my email address.

Here is a picture of it:
http://members.aol.com/malafacha1/broncsys.jpg

Old 03-22-2002, 01:15 AM
charlez
Elder User

check out http://www.sounddomain.com
it may give you some ideas.

Old 03-22-2002, 10:06 AM
odinmurphy
Senior User

First off, great job displaying what your intentions are with the boxes and amp rack in the back. I did virtually the same thing in my old 82 Bronco. The setup looked good, but it did not sound good. The sound waves from each sub just end up hitting each other and you do not end up with clean bass. It sounds very muddled. I took the setup out and ended up putting a sub floor in the bronco. A new floor made out of 3/4" MDF was created which basically raised the floor about 7.5 inches, and had two cerwin vega 12"s and a fosgate 800 in the box. Sounded great. It was built by a local shop here. they also built a cover over the amp and subs so that I could actually haul stuff on the speakers and Amp. However anything placed on top of the box did distort the sound somewhat.

Hope this helps.

Murph

Old 03-23-2002, 12:02 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru

hes right, never face the speakers torwards eachother, the waves do hit eachother and dont go anywhere. my advice to you is to go to a audio place and get them to build you a custom box facing either up or facing to the back. get the best wiring you can, it makes a difference whatever you do get a top quality class d amplifier. the box matters alot if you want big sound. hope this helps you out, the set up you have now will keep the bass from traveling.