Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 AM
DarrenWS6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats

I've been looking for the right information for awhile now and cant seem to find it. When I get my true dual Super 44s done later this month if it isn't loud enough due to Fords 4 cat setup I will probably have Hi-Flows installed. I called Troyer Performance and was told part # 94306 is what I need. Magnaflow cat ofcoarse, with no O2 sensor mount. My stock cats have the O2 sensors mounted before the cats, 1 before the pre-cat, and the other in the middle of the two. Now I have seen on most Longtube header systems the cats provided come with the O2s, and on F150online I seen a couple people with 2004+ trucks who bought the cats with the O2s also.

I haven't had a chance to ask my exhaust guy about this, haven't got a quote for the true duals yet either, so I just want some clarification from anyone who has done this to a 5.4L 3v truck. I cant afford to have something mess up and I dont wanna have a CEL. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
Check the direct fit kits !! MAGNAFLOW

I got one of these kits for my 96 1 1/2 inch !!

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/s...ayproducts.asp

Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I've been looking for the right information for awhile now and cant seem to find it. When I get my true dual Super 44s done later this month if it isn't loud enough due to Fords 4 cat setup I will probably have Hi-Flows installed. I called Troyer Performance and was told part # 94306 is what I need. Magnaflow cat ofcoarse, with no O2 sensor mount. My stock cats have the O2 sensors mounted before the cats, 1 before the pre-cat, and the other in the middle of the two. Now I have seen on most Longtube header systems the cats provided come with the O2s, and on F150online I seen a couple people with 2004+ trucks who bought the cats with the O2s also.

I haven't had a chance to ask my exhaust guy about this, haven't got a quote for the true duals yet either, so I just want some clarification from anyone who has done this to a 5.4L 3v truck. I cant afford to have something mess up and I dont wanna have a CEL. Thanks.
Ok, why Magnaflows? Im just curious, you said Magnaflows of course, so I would like to know why?

I have some cats with center O2s, we just haven't added them to the website yet because no one has requested them so far. My guess is they will be a lot less expensive than Magnaflows and will prevent CEL issues.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
What ever converters you get if you need a place for an o2 you can also just get some o2 bungs and weild them on.

I had to do that with one of my hedders.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:35 AM
DarrenWS6
New User
Originally Posted by Bear River
Ok, why Magnaflows? Im just curious, you said Magnaflows of course, so I would like to know why?

Cause Magnaflow is the best. Stainless steel, direct flowing and warranty, never heard any complains about them either, had a set of Magnaflow universals in my old Silverado too. I wouldn't wanna trust another and $87 per cats not that bad.

As for direct fit, well thats pretty expensive, like $200 or so each. I'm gonna see my exhaust guy on Tuesday so we should clear things up and get a better understanding of what will work out right. Thanks for the info guys.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Bear River
Former ******
And why is Magnaflow the best? Magnaflow does even make cats. If you take a look at the comparison page on our site, you will see where that cat really stands.

Converter Comparision

BTW, they are not all stainless steel, anyone who says that they are is lying. We carry the only true fully stainless steel converter on the market. I checked out the part number you listed. First of, it doesn't exist or has been discontinued. The part they are probably referring to is a #94006, which is the part we tested for our comparison. Not that it matches the efficiency of our small converter, the 500 series.

I'm just trying to point out that Magnaflow converters are not popular because they are better quality than other brands, or because they flow better than anything else, but rahther because they have the Magnaflow name on them. Maganflow doesn't make them, rather Magnaflow has another company make them under private label. They are not fully stainless, and even if they were, as shown in our comparison, they are thin and brittle. If Magnaflow spend one tenth of their marketing budget on making a better product, they would be the finest in the world. But as it is, they repeatedly show they are only interested in making money. They cut corners, they promote false advertising, and they list a large number of claims of what their product has that "others don't" If you go to their website and look through their features, you will find they match almost exactly with almost every manufacturer out there.

If you want to use Magnaflow, thats fine, that is your decision to make, but pray tell, if they are such high quality, why do they only offer a 2 year warranty?

Old 06-09-2008, 12:48 PM
DarrenWS6
New User
Interesting statements there. Well the guys on F150online never reported negative feedback about them, and are much happier with the sound increase and minimal performance go with the swap from the 4 cat system. In my last application with them I was quite happy with them.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Bear River
Former ******
The Fords are not as picky about converters as some other vehicles are, though they do get picker in later model years. Check the emission sticker of your vehicle. Chances are it is LEV or ULEV compliant. Does Magnaflow have any cats for you that meet those compliance requirements? In fact, does Magnaflow use catalysts from EO manufacturers? Or do they skimp there too and coat their own bricks.

As I mentioned, Fords are not as picky about cats, but even if they were, you are not as likely to hear about such problems as with talking to installers who have experience with both them and a good quality alternative. We are experiencing a new wave of growth in our markets, largely because people are getting frustrated with what they are using now and are switching.

BTW, our online store is working again, so if you want to take a look at what we are offering there you can. Some of our direct fit parts do contain Magnaflow units, but those that do not have much better warranties, in part because the manufacturers back up the higher quality products, but neither they, nor our company, trust the Magnaflows to function well beyond the standard warranty period. I have had a lot of problems on a lot of applications with Magnaflow, which is why we do not offer them through our website. We only sell them locally, and through special request.

The correct part for your application would be
Item Details

Or for even better performance and sound, you can use this (O2 port not shown)
Item Details

Old 06-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
The reason i picked my magnaflow kit is my stock y pipe and both cats were rotted out i wanted a new y pipe and high flow cats as a kit so i looked at the mag kit. After i got it from summit it was all Mandrel Bent Pipe nice wields built good. It had the bung wielded in ready for the o2. all 2 1/2 Inch

It was only $245.00 shipped i think it is a great deal if you want to go this rout You get what you pay for and so far its been almost a year and no probs.

No engine light no codes no running rich or ruinning lean !!

Saying that magnaflow doesn't make them that doesn't surprise me.

After the hedders and the cats and the cherry bomb it sounds killer like a old "Fast Back"

Old 06-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Ok, I thought you were looking for just a weld in. In that case you did get an ok price. If you are looking for a weld in, just make darn sure you get what you pay for, because a lot of the cats out there have large heat shields to make them look bigger.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:12 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I thought everybody knew by now that Magnaflow makes junk cats.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Johnny_r
Junior User
I've used 3 magnaflow cats one a 1999 3.1 Malibu & one on a 2000 3.8 Grand Prix both are throwing codes, I used one on a 5.0 1995 GMC Sirrea 1500 with no codes. I will go with something else next time. That doesn't throw codes.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Bear River
Former ******
I have cats that work on your Malibu and Grand Prix. Are you looking for direct fits, because if you are, I have those on our site currently. If you are looking for a weld in, those are coming soon under our LEV category listed in universal section of our site.

Nice to see someone other than me come forward and report problems with Magnaflows. I deal with your story all the time, so rest assured, its not just you. Carsound, the company that makes the Magnaflow brand, manufacturers their own washcoat. When aftermarket companies make their own washcoats, they will struggle to keep up with the advancing technology in the marketplace. In contrast, our converters use catalysts that are precoated and manufactured by OE manufacturers, namely Umicore. It makes a huge difference in the longevity and efficiency, but the precoated bricks cost a little bit more. In the long run it is worth it, because you will have better application coverage, fewer codes, and they last much much longer.

Fords are less picky than say, GMs, Hondas, and Toyotas, and for them, Magnaflows will work on most applications most of the time. But once you start getting 2003 and newer, even the Fords start to get picky, especially the LEV and California models.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
Hay "Bear River"

What about the Dynomax Super Converters?

So for my mags are working fine i guess its the newer trucks that have the problem with the magnaflows?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Dynomax is an Ok converter, however, again, they are using the name of a performance muffler to move an average converter. They do not flow any better than anything else. They are better than Maganflows by a significant margin, however, due to their premium price tag, not many people buy them. So for my local experience, I really don't know how well they are working on newer vehicles. Their washcoat in manufactured by Tenneco, which is an aftermarket manufacturer, the only OEM manufacturer they make catalyst for is Suzuki. A Dynomax converter is really just an ordinary Walker converter with a premium price tag. I don't see many of my local customers buying Walker converters, because they are also a little bit more expensive than many of the other products.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats