Sponsored by: DP Tuner

who running bio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:17 AM
WMDPSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who running bio?

Is anybody running biodiesel or dse? I am thinking about doing something with the deep fryer oil for an alt. fuel.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Lots are, and a good many of us are getting ready to and/or really considering it.

Check out Bio-diesel, Propane and Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 06-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Tecman
Elder User
i ran B11 on the last tank for the first time and decided it wasnt worth the drive or price since its about 40 mins away and 10 cents more expensive. However, tonight as I went to fill up at a station, they had B11 and it was only 4.34 per galon. i couldnt beleive it, i actually thought i was getting a good deal paying that.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:08 AM
whiskeyrichard
Senior User
I am running B100 in my truck. I have run B100 in my 2005 chevy duramax, in my 1997 dodge cummins, and also in my current truck.

The only truck that did not love the bio was the chevy. The Ford and the Dodge both love it. Once you run it, you'll never go back. I buy it in bulk, and keep it at my house. so not only do I not give my money to the terrorists and money hungry oil companies, but I also do not have to go to the filling station.

There are a million reason to run biodiesel. If you are doing it specifically for financial reasons, you'll likely be disapoited in the short term. It is a change from what you have been doing for years and years, and is going to require you to change as well. If you are cool with that, and understand the benefits of biodiesel, you'll be very happy with your decision.

Your truck will love it. Like I said, there are a million reason to run biodiesel. I am not going to start with those here because they often spark debates about thing this forum is not here for.

If you live in northern california and are more interested in biodiesel, drop me a line. I'd be glad to tell you what I know.

WR

Old 06-08-2008, 01:22 AM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru
i rn b20; its 5 cents cheaper and 100X better for my engine. Love it

Old 06-08-2008, 05:19 AM
WMDPSD
Senior User
so it is not just as easy getting veggie oil, adding some stuff and dumping it in the ole psd?

Old 06-08-2008, 08:18 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WMDPSD
so it is not just as easy getting veggie oil, adding some stuff and dumping it in the ole psd?
No. I'm no expert on this stuff at all but from what I have read to make bio you have to build or purchase a processor. To run veggie oil or WVO you have to install some type of heater tank, valves & filters. The truck starts on diesel and then you switch it over to the WVO. Discovery channel or one of them had a green show about these kids that were traveling across the country with alternative fuels. One episode they installed a WVO system in an older E350 Van.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:07 AM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bio, you just pump into your truck no conversion. WVO you will end up with a dual fuel truck. with like said before. heated oil tank, you dont have to heat the whole take. just the pick up area of the oil.
Bio has lots of chemisty involved. I went with the WVO route. but its not for everybody.
you need a place to get the oil, which is getting harder. storage, filtering, holding etc.

good luck

Dino Fuel Alternatives: Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems

Old 06-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by WMDPSD
Definitely not...not if you like your truck and want to keep it around, that is.

If you want to run straight WVO, you have to get one of the kits, that includes an extra tank, heater, filters, and all the other supplies you'll need to run it. Those run about $3,000 across the board.

Biodiesel is (basically) made by way of a simple chemical process known as trans-esterification, the process essentially takes WVO and separates biodiesel from the glycerin.

Biodiesel.org - Biodiesel 101

Old 06-08-2008, 10:31 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
If you're frugal, and are handy, you can actually make your own WVO system for about $1000 depending on if you get used or new parts.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:45 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
you dont want to be to frugal. run some cold VO through those injectors and you will have a big problem.
but yes it can be done. I have a few flavors in my sytem, but what i know now, and were looking to get a kit the one from alt dyno fuels ROCKS. I have installed a few adn seen them in action. needless to say I have system envy. but untill I total my truck or the sky falls. I will run mine till its time to move on, cause it works. lol

Old 06-08-2008, 01:02 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
There's nothing wrong with being frugal- as long as you can turn a wrench and indeed know what you are doing you'll be just fine. Me personally I would rather spend my cash on fuel or mods / toys. I made my own cackle cure/regulated fuel return, installed my own pre-pump filter, and other odds and ends here and there. When you do your homework and see how others do it, you'll realize it's really not that hard to do what they do. I know Jasons (DFA) WVO system is top notch, especially with it being all automatic, but for about $2000 plus less, I can replicate the same means- running wvo without coking up my injectors w/cold wvo. Check out my gallery pic, it really is simple.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:21 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
In Madison, they try their best to rape those running bio by making it more than D2. OTOH, you get cool "No blood for oil stickers" to look at. If you pay $150 a year you get the privilege of buying it at 50+ cents more than D2. Otherwise it is always 75+ cents more than D2. As they said, if they wanted to be competitive, they could lower the price but they don't need to since there are enough suckers out that that will buy it at whatever price they sell it at.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:26 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
I hate that blood for oil crap- what a crock of poop those damn hippies created. Just 'cause they're too sissy to step up and defend this nation they bad mouth those who do and what we (I) stand for. To hell with paying 50 cents more for bio. I can get it here for $3 a gal for B100.......

Old 06-08-2008, 01:31 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by mongo75
I hate that blood for oil crap- what a crock of poop those damn hippies created. Just 'cause they're too sissy to step up and defend this nation they bad mouth those who do and what we (I) stand for. To hell with paying 50 cents more for bio. I can get it here for $3 a gal for B100.......
Whoa there, Stud. You PAY $150 a year for that privilege. Prairiefire BioFuels

BioDiesel - B99
$5.249/gal Member
$5.599/gal General Public

I can get D2 for $4.69

Problem with those people is that they are unable and/or unwilling to stand up for their nation. On top of that, they badmouth those that are without realizing that it is those "idiots" that stand up for their right to open their mouth.

Quick Reply: who running bio?