Sponsored by:

Everything Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:55 PM
HighProCam
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything Air Ride

I was wondering if anybody out there has a Kelderman air suspension installed on there truck. I'm not talking about overload bags here, I believe they have 2 different kits for the late model trucks, one that goes from 6-8 inches for 38s and one that goes from 10-12 inches for 42s. Any experience based info on the performance of this kit would be much appreciated.

Ultimately I am using the info to evaluate weather this kit could be modified to a 1970s late model F250, giving me a head start in the fab work, or if a universal style 4 linking kit will be better.

Also I recently saw a program on TV where they installed F550 rear leaf springs on a F350 for more towing capacity, however in order to keep a nice soft ride while unloaded; they installed an air bag with a double pivot. They added a hinge point back near the bumper that levered against an air bag and at the other end of the lever was where the shackle and leaf spring mounted. The air bags didn't provide huge amounts of travel just enough to allow some comfortable suspension movement when the stiff F550 springs weren't at work. Any experience based info on the performance of this would be much appreciated too.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:45 PM
ibleedblue1385
Posting Guru
is this a joke???

Old 06-05-2008, 06:27 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ibleedblue1385
is this a joke???

I don't think so

I haven't had personal experiences with Kelderman's products, but their rear 4-link setup looks good.

However, if you are using the vehicle for off-roading (which I assume you are).
I would just get some of the softer front and/or rear springs available (you know, smallest gas engine reg cab F250), and add airbags to that - that way, if your bags blow out, you have a way to get home

Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I decide to go further down the modding road with the bronco I think the next iteration will be full air ride radius arms front and rear. I've heard of guys carrying spare air bags .. kind of like a spare tire.. in case of failure.

I saw that program also with the F550 springs a long time ago.. I can't remember which show it was on though.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:29 PM
quadzjr
just another Rockwell looser
Originally Posted by HighProCam
Also I recently saw a program on TV where they installed F550 rear leaf springs on a F350 for more towing capacity, however in order to keep a nice soft ride while unloaded; they installed an air bag with a double pivot. They added a hinge point back near the bumper that levered against an air bag and at the other end of the lever was where the shackle and leaf spring mounted. The air bags didn't provide huge amounts of travel just enough to allow some comfortable suspension movement when the stiff F550 springs weren't at work.

truck U is dumb.....

Old 06-05-2008, 07:57 PM
HighProCam
Senior User
I'll just 3-Wheel it home...

I've been playing around with active suspension systems for a couple years now and don't feel that an airbag blow out is going to be an issue, however sticks do exist and have been known to go threw a tire so anything's possible. Being able to keep the leaf springs would be a BIG plus, that's what really turned me on to the double pivot system I saw on TV, but that's the first time I've seen something like that with a double pivot.

I have never talked with anybody first hand with airbags in a offroad lift kit application, but have seen them on trucks and sandrails at the dunes.

You are correct, the show was Truck U, and the guys on there are lacking tv show quality. My fav is Gears, but Extreme is ok too

Old 06-05-2008, 08:11 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by quadzjr
truck U is dumb.....
No need for that kind of language

Old 06-05-2008, 08:32 PM
quadzjr
just another Rockwell looser
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
hey.......its alot better then i was actually thinking.....

i have nothing to add, just dont feel airbags are the best way to go offroad.....

Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by quadzjr
hey.......its alot better then i was actually thinking.....

i have nothing to add, just dont feel airbags are the best way to go offroad.....
i second that...

Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
ibleedblue1385
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BradyCocuhman
i second that...

I third that...stay away from air ride if your seriously gonna off road this thing...

Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Im just glad I have Highprocam on my ignore list. Im sure this is a good one though.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:07 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
which part is the questionable language?

I'm going to, one day, throw my powerstroke on bags but thats strictly for towing... sticks shouldbnt be too big of a problem!

-cutts-

Old 06-06-2008, 01:07 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HighProCam
I was wondering if anybody out there has a Kelderman air suspension installed on there truck. I'm not talking about overload bags here, I believe they have 2 different kits for the late model trucks, one that goes from 6-8 inches for 38s and one that goes from 10-12 inches for 42s. Any experience based info on the performance of this kit would be much appreciated.

Ultimately I am using the info to evaluate weather this kit could be modified to a 1970s late model F250, giving me a head start in the fab work, or if a universal style 4 linking kit will be better.

Also I recently saw a program on TV where they installed F550 rear leaf springs on a F350 for more towing capacity, however in order to keep a nice soft ride while unloaded; they installed an air bag with a double pivot. They added a hinge point back near the bumper that levered against an air bag and at the other end of the lever was where the shackle and leaf spring mounted. The air bags didn't provide huge amounts of travel just enough to allow some comfortable suspension movement when the stiff F550 springs weren't at work. Any experience based info on the performance of this would be much appreciated too.
Originally Posted by STGFordCrazy04
Im just glad I have Highprocam on my ignore list. Im sure this is a good one though.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:14 PM
HighProCam
Senior User
This topic could use a pic

I saw this in Glamis, Ca.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:20 PM
ibleedblue1385
Posting Guru
Mud/rocks/trees are a little bit different than sand though. Why exactly do you want air ride?

Quick Reply: Everything Air Ride