Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

what's the deal with plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:12 AM
chris-danielle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's the deal with plugs?

Ok, any help will be greatly appreciated. After reading through some different threads i'm more confused. I'm changing the plugs on my wife's '99 V8 Explorer, and went with Autolite plugs. They gave me AP104's, (single platinum). I asked for top-of-the-line autolites, but maybe this was just the best they had in stock. I noticed when removing the old plugs, that the plugs on one side of the engine were different than the plugs on the other side of the engine (due to different polarity). Can i replace the OEM plugs with single platinum plugs? Do they have to be double platinum?

thanks in advance for any help, i'm actually trying to fix what i believe is a misfire or ? issue with the truck (vibration, strange exhaust odor, CEL on), and i was hoping new plugs would do the trick. however, when i put the new autolite AP104's in it didn't help whatsoever (almost seems worse now)

Old 06-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Backin72
Senior User
Use Motorcraft plugs, you'll be glad you did. And they should be double platinum, but confirm with your dealership. Spark plugs wires should be replaced if you haven't done so yet.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Freak, Autolite plugs are Motorcraft. However, they did give you the wrong ones, you need double platinums, otherwise one side will wear out very quickly and cause misfires. The spark plug wires should also be replaced for best results. The wires do not last much longer than plugs, and will certainly not last through a second set of plugs.

BTW, your light is one, what are the codes?

Old 06-01-2008, 02:29 PM
chris-danielle
New User
thanks Backin and Bear.

I haven't been able to check the codes from the CEL yet, i was hoping to fix and not drive to the shop with it running so crummy. i guess i'll try to exchange the plugs for double platinum today, and pick up a new set of wires - are autolite wires recommended as well as motorcraft?

thanks again, i can't stress enough how helpful this forum is!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:57 PM
srercrcr
Postmaster
I'm running the original wires and MC DP plugs in my 2000 4.0 SOHC. at 130K. I won't change them til it needs it. Runs very smooth and getting 22 mpg.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Originally Posted by srercrcr
I'm running the original wires and MC DP plugs in my 2000 4.0 SOHC. at 130K. I won't change them til it needs it. Runs very smooth and getting 22 mpg.
Doesn't sound like the best plan to me. The plugs do not come from the factory with antiseize, and if they are left in too long, they can damage the threads. Also, by the time you notice that anything is wrong, you are already forming carbon deposits, loosing a lot of power, and can have already damaged more expensive components such as the EGR and catalytic converters. It also puts extra stress on the coils and wires, causing them to prematurely fail. Prevention is always better. Those plugs are already overdue, double platinums should not run more than 100k miles. If you use OE spec parts and install them correctly, replacing them will never hurt anything.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:16 AM
chris-danielle
New User
reinstalled double platinum autolite plugs, didn't help. i'm picking up replacement autolite wires today (weren't in stock) but as these are approx. $100.00 i'm wondering if this will even help.
truck starts ok and idles find, but once i put in gear it starts almost studdering under the load, even before pulling out of the driveway.
this problem, along with the smell when we first noticed the problem, makes me wonder if there is any hope in thinking new spark plug wires will fix my problem. Hope it's not the c.converter or something else and i'm just spinning my wheels.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Backin72
Senior User
Chris, just a thought, but does this sound like your problem?

Ford Explorer IAC Fix .: Articles

Old 06-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Bear River
Former ******
If it is the converter, it would likely be because of the plugs that the converter failed, so fixing the plugs before looking at that is still the best option. If you do not have a P0420 or P0430 code set in the computer, your converter(s) are probably just fine.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:24 AM
chris-danielle
New User
Thanks Backin72 and Bear River.

Backin, i don't think i'm experiencing what you went through, my explorer hasn't stalled even once, just feels like it's about to. came home early from work to check the codes from my CEL and the only mechanic near by turned me away as it was close to closing time and he was "short staffed" - ran just good enough to drive, but the more gas i gave it, the more it stumbled, and vibrated like crazy at red lights.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Sounds to me more like a MAF problem. The MAF in conjuction with the IAT and TPS sensors tells the computer how much load the engine is under. It uses this information to determine how much fuel the engine requires. If the MAF goes out, the computer will not add enough fuel, and the engine will stumble. The ignition timing will also be way off, causing a stumble, especially under heavy throttle. I suggest getting a MAF cleaner and seeing if you can't clean the MAF sensor.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You absolutely DO NOT need double platiunums. Ford puts in single platinums from the factory on all late model vehicles. Double platinum plugs give zero performance gains and their is minimum benefit in using double platinums. You should change plugs every 50k for the best performance anyway. I have changed double platinum plugs and have found significant wear AROUND the platinum where the spark wasn't even jumping to the platiunum.

I would go with the recommended Motorcraft plugs or go with Autolites. I have used both motorcraft and autolite plugs and they work super in Fords.

As far as the CEL and poor running, definatly check for DTCs, your just shooting in the dark without checking the DTCs. As for 130k on the origional plugs, thats not good and performance isn't what it could be.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Originally Posted by dkf
You absolutely DO NOT need double platiunums. Ford puts in single platinums from the factory on all late model vehicles. Double platinum plugs give zero performance gains and their is minimum benefit in using double platinums. You should change plugs every 50k for the best performance anyway. I have changed double platinum plugs and have found significant wear AROUND the platinum where the spark wasn't even jumping to the platiunum.

I would go with the recommended Motorcraft plugs or go with Autolites. I have used both motorcraft and autolite plugs and they work super in Fords.

As far as the CEL and poor running, definatly check for DTCs, your just shooting in the dark without checking the DTCs. As for 130k on the origional plugs, thats not good and performance isn't what it could be.
Ok, Ford uses single platinums from the factory, however, they use different single platinums on each bank. The reason has to do with the way the coil packs fire the plugs in pairs. The current jumps from the electrode to the tip, then travels down the plug wire, through the coil, then through the other wire and jumps from the tip to the electrode on the opposite bank. As a result, the source of the current is plated in platinum to prevent it from wearing away. If you use single platinums, you have to use the correct part on each bank. If you use double platinum plugs, both sides are plated with platinum, making so that you don't have to worry about which side to put them on.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:12 PM
chris-danielle
New User
thanks Bear River and dkf!
I have installed the double-platinum autolite plugs, so I don't even have to worry if they were the right plug or not.
i'll check the codes tomorrow and post the result - i'm praying it's just the MAF or plug wires!!

Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 PM
chris-danielle
New User
got the codes pulled, "# 3 misfire". guy said the wires are fine, said he can see that # 3 is sparking, just not "firing". plug looked dry to him, so he thinks it might be an injector. also suggested changing the fuel filter and running some injector cleaner through it, but at the same time, better not to drive it!?!?
Any thoughts on these developmets???? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: what's the deal with plugs?