'80-'86 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) Calculators, specififications, automotive terms and acronyms.

ZF install complete, pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
How can you tell which ZF has the wide range ratios? I seen a few ZF's in the local junkyard(hopefully still there). Might replace my NP435 with the wide ratio so I can get closer to the granny gear of the np435.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:25 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
How can you tell which ZF has the wide range ratios?
ZF site FAQ's

Old 12-27-2008, 07:06 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Very clean swap. I've done a small block ZF5 swap on two '86 F-250's. The first behind a 302 replacing a C6. That truck eventually rotted out too bad and I scrapped it. Then in my current F-250 behind a 351W that was originally a C6. This truck is a keeper, unless I can find a solid 79 or earlier Ford 4x4. The swap is a bolt in deal. Just move crossmember back, drill out firewall pattern for master cylinder, and acquire a ZF5 floor pan plate then cut a hole for the NP208 shifter. It's all off the shelf parts.

I got a 460 ZF5 a while back for when I do the 460 conversion in this truck. A couple years ago I build a mild 460 for my Galaxie and ported the iron D3 heads along with some other mild performance things. Eventually I'm going to build a real engine for the car and put the mild 460 in my truck with the 460 ZF5 I got.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:33 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
One question about the swap... You mentioned that you just reused your original driveshafts, which were sized for a T19. It's beena few years since I've seena T19 but it must be a long transmission for a 4 speed. On the swaps I've done a C6 and NP435 are the same length or dang close as those driveshafts are interchangeable. When swapping to a ZF the rear needs to be shortened and the front lengthened. In my case I found a front shaft from a ZF truck that was the correct lenth and used that on both trucks. I shortened the rear shaft on each truck.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:57 AM
hittman1422
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have inspired me, i think i might cry...

Old 01-05-2009, 12:35 PM
rowdyredneck
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cadunkle
One question about the swap... You mentioned that you just reused your original driveshafts, which were sized for a T19. It's beena few years since I've seena T19 but it must be a long transmission for a 4 speed. On the swaps I've done a C6 and NP435 are the same length or dang close as those driveshafts are interchangeable. When swapping to a ZF the rear needs to be shortened and the front lengthened. In my case I found a front shaft from a ZF truck that was the correct lenth and used that on both trucks. I shortened the rear shaft on each truck.
I had absolutely no issues with either driveshaft as far as length. The crossmember is moved back slightly due to a different mount location on the ZF, but I beleive the overall length of the transmissions is virtually identical. My NP-208 transfer case uses the slip yoke on the rear shaft and after the swap I could see the oil seal was riding in the exact same location on the driveshaft as it had with the T-19, and my front shaft bolted right up without any problems. It's truly a bolt in swap, even the transfer case shifter bolts right on to the ZF leaving the shifter in the stock location.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
rowdyredneck
More Turbo
Originally Posted by nflfreak43
dude i just now was able to be on my home computer and see these pictures. What can i say other than WOW!!!!! Nice truck. that was a great swap. and you know something i just noticed. Your truck is dueled. dont know what the exhaust set up is but ya know. Id like to hear bout it. and also what kind of lift did you put on there and who'd you go to for parts for the resto.
I've been away from the site for awhile and just getting caught up on some of these posts. To answer your questions:
The dual exhaust has the "turbo tube" mufflers which are designed for racing and off road use. They are louder than glass packs, so be aware of noise restrictions in your area. On the highway it's barely noticeable, but if you lean into the throttle it really cackles. The complete exhaust system came from a parts truck I bought to restore this one. It was a brand new system, only about a month old before the guy rolled and totaled the truck. I bought the entire truck for $500, used the exhaust, radiator, accessory brackets, some interior parts...I more than got my money's worth. Otherwise the parts came mostly from scrounging junk yards or from my own stash I've collected over the years which includes several '80-'86 parts trucks. The body came straight out of New Mexico, I found a guy who used to make the trip down there monthly and bring back a trailer load of rust free metal. I did put new fenders and a new hood on, but otherwise the rest of the metal is straight out of the desert. The suspension lift is by Tuff Country, it's the 2 1/2" lift which I'm really happy with. I also installed Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings in the front spring eyes, shackles, and axle pivots which greatly improves handling on the corners by eliminating a lot of the flex in the mushy stock rubber bushings.

I think the other questions here have been pretty well covered by the other posters. Thanks for the compliments Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Stevoh
Junior User
So, does anyone know if the 2wd ZF is the same length as the 2wd c6? I know a lot of talk has been thrown out on the 4wd systems.

I wonder how much picknpull would charge me for a ZF if I pulled it myself. How heavy is the ZF? I wonder if I could just "bench" it down from under the truck.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevoh
How heavy is the ZF? I wonder if I could just "bench" it down from under the truck.
Oh, gawd.... it's got to be over 200 lbs. dry, the hard part is stabbing it into the bell
housing, getting the shaft to line up with the pilot bearing. But, I think a ZF has the
bell housing integral with the tranny case. Nevertheless, there are reasons why tranny
jacks have micro-fine adjustments up/down/forward angle/backward angle/sideways
angle/etc.

But, benching a transfer case is pretty easy, though

Old 01-06-2009, 02:31 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder how much picknpull would charge me for a ZF if I pulled it myself. How heavy is the ZF? I wonder if I could just "bench" it down from under the truck.
Last year my friend paid $700 for a junkyard ZF that had been "inspected". It ended up being a piece of junk as the shifter was really sloppy and it wouldn't stay in 5th or reverse. Luckily he was able to return it and his t-case was found to be the cause of his problems which only cost $20.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 AM
Stevoh
Junior User
Damn if the ZF is that heavy I will have to have a friend help me "bench" the trans out. I am a scrawny little bitch. Not too mention loading it on a wheel barrow and into the bed of the truck.

700 for a trans, isn't bad, but i drive the truck less than 1500 miles a year so not very cost effective(that 700 could be gas money for who know how many years lol). I will ask the cashier at picknpull next time I am out how much a rwd truck trans would be.

When I was at the picknpull last I was playing around in a 4 speed 80-86 and liked the heavy duty long clunky feel of the shifter throw. Must be nice to have a 5 speed, especially behind a 460.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Must be nice to have a 5 speed, especially behind a 460.

I haven't missed the C6 for a second.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Turbo F100
Junior User
I just want to say SEXY TRUCK!!!! lol, I love to see when people spend some time on these old trucks and make them better than new with there custom mods!!!! Others may say were wasting are time and money on these old trucks but I say the money we save not buying a new truck we can put into an older ford and customize it the way we want and still come out on top!!

Again very nice truck!!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
rowdyredneck
More Turbo
Thanks I agree, I'd much rather drive an older classic truck that turns heads instead of a plain new truck that people are so used to seeing every day. This thing gets lots of compliments when I take it out, especially from younger high school aged kids.
How heavy is the ZF? I wonder if I could just "bench" it down from under the truck.
It's heavy. I never weighed one myself but it has to be pushing 200 pounds. I remember hauling it home in the back of my Ranger and it was about all I could handle alone trying to lift it in and out. I installed it with a tranny jack, no way I would want to tackle that thing using brute strength alone.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
75 Kilos according to the ZF website....

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/i...7datasheet.pdf

Quick Reply: ZF install complete, pictures