2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leather + blue jeans = bad deal ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:38 PM
jnsnwt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leather + blue jeans = bad deal ?

When we bouht the wife's Jag the salesman told to avoid wearing blue jeans as this was very hard on the leather seats.

I am looking at getting an '07 Lariat with leather and I ALWAYS wear Wranglers.

Am I setting myself up for problems down the road or do FOMOCO hides do better than Jaguar hides ?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:58 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
When I went to the Houston car show this is something I noticed right away. Most of the Ford vehicles with leather seats had a bluish tint thanks to thousands of blue jeaned people getting in and out in a short time.

Most manufacturers will use a poly sealant to help protect the seats but when they do the leather losses its suppleness. I would imagine a Jag would use less sealant and evidently so does FOMOCO proper.

So yes, if you are partial to a dyed blue jean make sure you clean and treat your leathers monthly.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I've had lots of leather seats over the years...and I always wear denim pants/shorts...never noticed this before.

I wouldn't worry about it. My Durango has Tan leather right now and they look like new for a 2005. Black leather in my truck doesn't show a thing of course. I think routine cleaning will keep 'em good to go

Old 05-25-2008, 02:41 PM
rplatt56
Senior User
Tan leather and i always wear blue jeans.. I clean and condition the seats about every other month

Old 05-25-2008, 06:37 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
My tan leather will get the blue sometimes right at the edge of the cushion. A bit of cleaner and a few seconds of wiping and it comes right off.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:45 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Originally Posted by jnsnwt
When we bouht the wife's Jag the salesman told to avoid wearing blue jeans as this was very hard on the leather seats.

Am I setting myself up for problems down the road or do FOMOCO hides do better than Jaguar hides ?
Don't shoot me if I'm wrong, but I bet your Jag has REAL leather, and not the pleather the Ford's have. Real leather is easily maintained and cleaned/conditioned. You can use armor all on the Ford leather, though I use Maguiars Leather Care spray on mine. I have black leather seats, and wear Levi's all the time except when I'm working.

The King Ranch has real leather...

Last edited by FatalErrorz; 05-25-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: added the King Ranch leather
Old 05-25-2008, 10:49 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Avoid the wimpy off-white stuff....

Originally Posted by jnsnwt

I swear that in recent years, Ford and even Jeep have moved to bone and pearl gray colored interiors, that seem designed for an "airy" look and are suited for people who have white carpeting in their house that never seems to get even the slightest bit soiled. For people who *use* vehicles, including wearing the clothes they normally do and maybe even camping or doing outdoor activities, dark colors like dark gray or black make the most sense... These are trucks, for God's sake, and you shouldn't have to take a bath and put on a clean white suit every time you want to drive somewhere.

Get black leather and it ain't gonna show any blue dye from your jeans....but it will heat up in the sun and burn the backs of your thighs if you're wearing shorts...

Or you could do like my late dad did in his 1960 Lincoln and get those clear plastic tailored seat covers, same as my late mom had on her living room furniture...

George

Old 05-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FatalErrorz
Don't shoot me if I'm wrong, but I bet your Jag has REAL leather, and not the pleather the Ford's have. Real leather is easily maintained and cleaned/conditioned. You can use armor all on the Ford leather, though I use Maguiars Leather Care spray on mine. I have black leather seats, and wear Levi's all the time except when I'm working.

The King Ranch has real leather...

The leather on the seating surfaces is real leather, its the rear seats and sides that aren't real...

Old 05-25-2008, 11:30 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
Mine is an 03 Lariat with tan leather. It has been detailed twice in 5 years (made the seats look newer, not sure what they used) and no blue tint. Spend quite a bit of time in jeans and never seen a tint at all. Odd, I have never heard of this, have always bought leather because we do a lot of boating and constantly get in vehicles wet also.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:37 AM
black04lariat
Elder User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
I swear that in recent years, Ford and even Jeep have moved to bone and pearl gray colored interiors, that seem designed for an "airy" look and are suited for people who have white carpeting in their house that never seems to get even the slightest bit soiled. For people who *use* vehicles, including wearing the clothes they normally do and maybe even camping or doing outdoor activities, dark colors like dark gray or black make the most sense... These are trucks, for God's sake, and you shouldn't have to take a bath and put on a clean white suit every time you want to drive somewhere.

Get black leather and it ain't gonna show any blue dye from your jeans....but it will heat up in the sun and burn the backs of your thighs if you're wearing shorts...

Or you could do like my late dad did in his 1960 Lincoln and get those clear plastic tailored seat covers, same as my late mom had on her living room furniture...

George

I agree that the lighter colored seats will show dirt more and have to be cleaned more than a dark leather seat, but I would much rather have to wipe off a little bit of dirt and blue off my seat edges every few months on my light colored seats versus having to wipe off my dark colored dash daily. Personally, I will never get a dark interior again due to the fact that the dirt/dust they collect is shown constantly on the dash. And god forbid you roll your windows down during pollen season

Old 05-26-2008, 08:04 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by black04lariat
I agree that the lighter colored seats will show dirt more and have to be cleaned more than a dark leather seat, but I would much rather have to wipe off a little bit of dirt and blue off my seat edges every few months on my light colored seats versus having to wipe off my dark colored dash daily. Personally, I will never get a dark interior again due to the fact that the dirt/dust they collect is shown constantly on the dash. And god forbid you roll your windows down during pollen season
...so you'd rather shampoo your beige carpeting than wipe the dash with a damp towel (which I produce every time I wash the car and dry it)? I understand the dust thing, but light colored leather seats will stain over time.

I sold an Acura last year with "medium/dark taupe" leather inside, and after 132k miles, the driver's seat was considerably darker than the other leather surfaces in the car. I never much thought about what I wore in there....but I can just imagine these bone-colored leather seats after 132k miles. And if you have a cloth interior, the seats, carpeting, and door panels are gonna look like hell after 132k miles of dirt, spills, etc.

George

Old 05-26-2008, 08:44 AM
black04lariat
Elder User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
...so you'd rather shampoo your beige carpeting than wipe the dash with a damp towel (which I produce every time I wash the car and dry it)? I understand the dust thing, but light colored leather seats will stain over time.

I sold an Acura last year with "medium/dark taupe" leather inside, and after 132k miles, the driver's seat was considerably darker than the other leather surfaces in the car. I never much thought about what I wore in there....but I can just imagine these bone-colored leather seats after 132k miles. And if you have a cloth interior, the seats, carpeting, and door panels are gonna look like hell after 132k miles of dirt, spills, etc.

George
I have never had to shampoo any of my car's interiors...but yes, I would much rather have to shampoo my tan interior one time right before I sold it, to get it looking brand new again, rather than have to wipe the black interior down numerous times a week. It's the same idea as a black truck. My truck is black, it's my first and last. I hate trying to keep it clean, it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

My girlfriend has tan leather seats in her vehicle with over 100k miles and she doesn't take care of it (that's my job she says). Her drivers seat was darker than the rest of them as well. It took about 15 minutes, a toothbrush to scrub the seat and some cleaner found at any auto parts store and it looked brand new. She was amazed, she said she had tried to clean it and thought it was just "stained" and dirty because it wouldn't come clean. Needless to say it can.. A lot of times people will just assume that the leather is messed up because they don't know how to remove all the dirt/grime. Now if you spill koolaid all over the seats and let it dry and soak in, I agree with you, I would wish I had black seats. And you are right...cloth is a lost cause after that many miles usually.

It's all personal choice and how you take care of vehicles, to each their own.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:27 AM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
The leather on the seating surfaces is real leather, its the rear seats and sides that aren't real...
I think it's a leather(ish) substance put over some cloth backing...Take one of them loose. I did. The exception is the KR.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the 07 F-150 book lists the front seats as genuine leather in the lariats....can't say for the rest.....but i'm guessing they're not printing lies...

Old 05-26-2008, 05:50 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by FatalErrorz
I think it's a leather(ish) substance put over some cloth backing...Take one of them loose. I did. The exception is the KR.
No way. If they advertise "leather seating surfaces", the faces of the seat (where your blue jeans and shirt contact the seat) are real leather. Over time, you will be able to see the "wrinkling" of the real leather compared to the vinyl....

The sides and backs of the seats will be vinyl/naugahyde unless you're buying a Rolls Royce or something. Same thing with household furniture, etc. Most of the backs and sides of leather couches or recliners are vinyl, but are leather where you make contact with the thing.

George

Quick Reply: leather + blue jeans = bad deal ?