Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2002, 10:21 AM
Junior User

KEITHS 1950 F68 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post Early (pre 1948) 4 Carb Intake Manifold on Later (1950 ) 239????

Season's Greetings;
What is the difference between the early (1939-1948).. and late (1949-1953) V8s? Will an early quad 97 setup work on my 1950 F68?
My original manifold has the castings: "C8BA" over "C8RT" over "3520". The heads are cast "8BA MADE IN CANADA". The plate on the firewall indentifies the engine as "OJ506". The stamp on the firewall is "Mar 1, 1950".
I have a chance to pick up a quad intake with 4 stromberg 97s. It is thought to have come off an "early" V8. Will it work on my engine? He also has some alumiminum finned high compression heads. Will they work on this block?
Thanks, in advance, for any help, advice.
Get all that leftover turkey eaten up.
Regards.........Keith.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:36 PM
Post Fiend

mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
Early (pre 1948) 4 Carb Intake Manifold on Later (1950 ) 239????

>Season's Greetings;
> What is the difference between the early (1939-1948)..
>and late (1949-1953) V8s? Will an early quad 97 setup work
>on my 1950 F68?
> My original manifold has the castings: "C8BA" over
>"C8RT" over "3520". The heads are cast "8BA MADE IN
>CANADA". The plate on the firewall indentifies the engine as
>"OJ506". The stamp on the firewall is "Mar 1, 1950".
> I have a chance to pick up a quad intake with 4
>stromberg 97s. It is thought to have come off an "early" V8.
>Will it work on my engine? He also has some alumiminum
>finned high compression heads. Will they work on this block?
> Thanks, in advance, for any help, advice.
> Get all that leftover turkey eaten up.
> Regards.........Keith.

Keith,
The quad intake looks really cool, but is impractical. It will dump more gas and air than your flathead can use. Three deuces is even too much and if you look close at cars that guys run fairly often, you'll find the center carb to be inactive with a plate under the carb base. If you decide to go with it I'd block off either the two middle carbs or the two ends depending on where they line up best with the intake runners.

The practical benchmark for the 239 flathead is 390 cfm. Each of your '97's produce 135 cfm and 4 will make 540. I don't think you'll be able to jet down enough to make them run right.

Otherwise, you have some crankcase ventilation issues to deal with. The 8BA/8RT intake has the breather up front and if you look under the intake you'll find it pipes fresh air down into the oil pan where it sweeps the gasses and evacuates them out the road draft tube, also at the front of the engine. If your intake is older it'll vent thru the oil filler/fuel pump stand and won't work as efficiently as the stock system, but will work. You may find increased blow-by.

Heads can be interchanged with a couple of mods - if you compare the heads with the holes in the block you'll notice there are two coolant holes that are different. One hole on each side of the block needs tapped and a flush plug installed (I think it's at the front) and one hole in the heads (rear) needs similar treatment.

But they do look Kool!
Old 12-28-2002, 07:35 PM
Junior User

Hello Tim;
Wow....thanks for all the info. You're correct: looking KOOL is part of the goal here! But running very well is most important.
The truck is so damned original, see photos, that I don't have the heart to alter the tin in any way; but it is getting a new paint job before the snow melts. So I will only allow myself to customize the box (I don't need to drag around 450 gal of water), and play with the motor a bit. So the customizing will only be under the hood, and behind the cab, at least for the next 5 years or so.
At present, you can barely tell whether or not it's running. The generator whines a little, but that's about all you hear at the idle. And the exhaust looks original! So some headers and straight stacks are in order, and we'll see if it even needs glasspacks.
I'll probably pick up the quad setup, if only for the 97's. I'll try it with one blocked off, the others progressive, and see how it works. The next step will be a later style 2 or 3 pot setup.
Again, thanks for all the help and advice.
Regards........Keith.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:43 AM
Post Fiend

mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.

Keith,
If you check out this link you'll find a whole treasure trove of info related to flatheads and their many quirks. A couple refer specifically to carb and intake questions. Have fun.

[http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/flathead.htm]

By the way, your truck looks great! I went the same route and rebuilt my '48 to near stock form - figured I could always hotrod later if the urge hit me.

Old 12-29-2002, 05:50 PM
Junior User

Hi Tim; I briefly looked at the site....quite the resource. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:33 AM
Senior User

Schoonie48F2 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Cory

Old 01-01-2003, 08:33 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6

Tags
carb, flathead, ford, intake, manifold, v8