1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering wheel, transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 AM
stanmckinney
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel, transmission questions

My F1 is titled as a 1950 but I have good reason to believe it really is a 1949. I also have reason to believe it has a 1948 cab and a 1948 engine.
I have to get a smaller steering wheel. The original is just too big and I barely can squeeze into the seat.
I have found Grant wheels I like, but the installation kit for a 1948 apparently is different from that for a 1949 and 1950 though nothing I have read anywhere tells me why. Can anyone tell me if they really are different and how I can tell which wheel is already installed?
Also, I am considering installing an automatic with my flathead V8. I have found a complete kit for a 1949 and up. It does not list the 1948. Is the 1948 engine really different and how can I tell if what I have is a 1948? Is there an automatic kit available for 1948 or how can I bolt up the 1949 kit?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
There is really no difference at all between any of those years with regards to what you're talking about. As far as the cabs go, they're the same as well from 48-50. Post your VIN number and we can tell you what year your truck is. Same goes for the engine. Post a pic of it to be sure.

It doesn't sound like the company you're dealing with really even has a clue about these trucks. Functionally speaking they're all pretty much identical between 48-52. Keep in mind that steering wheel was big for a reason. You need the leverage for the old fashioned version of "power steering" which was related directly to the size of the muscles in your arms.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:58 AM
stanmckinney
Freshman User
The steering wheel company is Grant. The transmission is from Speedway Motors. I can tell you that the serial number on the glove box and on the firewall does not match what is on my title. Where on the frame is the serial number? Most companies make no difference in parts for all of the years, but I have seen a few others that have.
I understand the point about the steering wheel. Problem is, I am not a skinny guy and I do not fit behind the existing wheel.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I just borrowed this picture from another recent thread here on this forum. The vin number is stamped on the top of the frame rail on the passenger side like in this picture. Take it from another Kentuckian, if the numbers don't match and you've got a title in hand, let sleeping dogs lie. I can't imagine anybody inspecting it in this state. It might match the vin on your frame.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I put a smaller steering wheel on my F-1....got it and the adapter from Summit Racing.
The stock wheel is 18", I put a 15" wheel on....yes it's a little harder to steer. I wouldn't go any smaller.
The auto trans kit won't work on a '48 flathead because of the cast on bellhousing on the earlier blocks. '49-'53 engines will work though...

Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 AM
stanmckinney
Freshman User
How can I be certain what I have? Any options if I have a 1948?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The 48 steering box is different than the 49-52 so the splines are different. I don't know why but it is.

Get the 49-up Grant kit (4257) if you think you have a 49 or 50 truck. I think you have to be sure you don't have a 48 before you get a steering wheel kit, however. Also, don't get a steering wheel with a diameter less than 15 inches. It will look awfully small in there if you do!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by stanmckinney
How can I be certain what I have? Any options if I have a 1948?
I would imagine the vin number on the frame would definitely shed some light on it. Especially if it matches one of the other 2 numbers.

Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
The 48 steering box is different than the 49-52 so the splines are different. I don't know why but it is.
Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info and correction.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:05 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember it has something to do with Gemmer made boxes vs Ford made boxes...

Old 07-18-2011, 12:36 PM
stanmckinney
Freshman User
I am fairly certain that the frame will have a 1949 number. The cab has a 1948 serial number. How can I tell for certain about the steering wheel and engine? If it turns out to be a 1948 engine, do I have any options for an automatic transmission?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:35 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
The auto trans kit won't work on a '48 flathead because of the cast on bellhousing on the earlier blocks. '49-'53 engines will work though...
If it's a '48 Truck engine, it shouldn't have the integral BH? The '48 Car engine still would.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:03 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
48-53 trucks have the same 8BA/8RT engine. The differences are cosmetic bolt-on accessories.

If you happen to have a 48 car engine it should have a cast "59" or "59A" on the top of the half-bellhousing that is part of the block casting.

You can use any engine thru transmission interchangeably for 48 to 52 trucks. Same goes for aftermarket steering wheels, etc, etc.

The Gemmer 3 steering gearbox was used in F1-F3 trucks from 48 and into the mid 50's

Prior to 48 the steering shaft used an alignment keyway for the wheel. 48 on it's just a splined shaft for the steering wheel.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:20 PM
stanmckinney
Freshman User
I can only tell you that the application chart shown for the auto shows 1949 to 1952.
Also, Grant lists a different installation kit for the 1948 and 1949 trucks.

I'm assuming I have a truck engine. The truck was owned by my Dad many years ago. He sold it to my uncle. My Dad pulled the original engine because of a cracked block and installed an engine he from another truck he bought from another uncle.

He says that truck was a 1948 but the cab which was from the same truck has a 9 as the first digital in the serial number. But then again maybe the engine in that truck had been replaced at some point. All of this is going to drive me crazy.

At any rate, the engine is being rebuilt. The truck has faded paint with the primer staring to show through. Overall it is very solid. It had been setting for about five years or more.

Prior to that my Dad drove it on a regular basis to parades and the like.
I can tell it is going to be a multi-year project. My goal this year is to get the mechanicals in good shape.

A good friend and fellow member of the club I belong to is doing the work. I know just enough about mechanical work to get in trouble.

I have done much computer research and have amazed at the (poor) records Ford keep in the early years and the variations. My Dad's memory (he is 85) has also faded a bit, so putting all the details together has been difficult.

I greatly appreciate all of the help from everyone on this forum.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:40 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
If you need to identify your flathead engine, use a post I wrote for the Ford Barn: Engine block I.D. pictures - The Ford Barn

Old 07-18-2011, 06:04 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
The reason for the discrepancy between suppliers and what you're reading here is simple: Some suppliers regularly mix up the engine difference between cars and trucks for '48.

1948, 49 and '50 trucks are all the same - you can take that as gospel.

Trucks rec'd the new engine one model year ahead of cars so it gets confusing for some folks.

Also, Ford burned the old records in '67 when they cleaned house - that's why you can't find definite answers. A few of us have been working here for the past 12 years to reconstruct that info. I'm confident you won't find more accurate info anywhere else - just be careful whose advice you believe.

Some states go by firewall tag, others go by frame number. If you ever want to sell it out of state your title will likely need to match the frame.

Also some states did the original titles when the truck was purchased rather than when it was assembled - makes it even more confusing.

Post your frame number and I can tell you the year it was assembled.

Great post 38 coupe has there. Read it carefully and it will verify what you see here.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel, transmission questions