1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror light lens

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Mirror light lens

Broke the amber lens on my mirror does anyone know if they can be gotten or does the whole mirror have to be replaced (fat chance)?

Thanks Hank

Old 05-17-2008, 11:02 AM
adambomb
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah they can be replaced w/o having to buy the whole assembly. just go to the parts dept. and tell them what you need, i don't remember if you need to know right or left tho.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Ok thanks for the reply.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:38 PM
pagnew
Senior User
Really? I have only seen full assemblies via the internet. That would be great if you actually can replace the amber lense only!

I'll have to check it out!

Thanks

Old 05-17-2008, 10:15 PM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
the whole mirror doesn't need to be replaced, but the back half of the mirror assembly will. Ask me how I know

Old 05-17-2008, 10:18 PM
pagnew
Senior User
Originally Posted by A. Michael Foxtrot
the whole mirror doesn't need to be replaced, but the back half of the mirror assembly will. Ask me how I know
OK...how do you know - and how is it done??

Old 05-17-2008, 10:33 PM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
A road sign leaped out in front of my truck and smashed the lens of my signal mirror.

The lens as far as I could tell, is glued to the back half of the mirror assembly. I didn't need to replace the entire mirror assembly, (which is what I was lead to believe what the OP was inquiring) rather just the rear half (signal lens included) could be purchased and replaced. Remove the glass, pop off the fasteners holding the rear portion to the main assembly, unplug signal light. Take new signal light plug and plug it in. Reattach the new rear portion to the main mirror assembly. Reattach glass to assembly and you're good to go.

Though I'll admit, mine was a little easier to do as the force of the sign that struck the mirror also popped out the glass, making it easier to access the clips necessary to release the rear portion of the mirror from the main assembly.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:40 PM
bigjake0524
Senior User
I would check with powerstrokeshop.com or ed the parts guy! Will probably have way cheaper prices than your local dealership.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:43 PM
pagnew
Senior User
Hmmmm - will do..will do gentlemen!

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:54 AM
kengarchow
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
why not get the clears since you have a broken one?

Old 05-18-2008, 03:15 AM
fordemt2001
Freshman User
When i bought my 06 the lens was cracked, the salesman was a good sport about seeing how i already bought the truck and paid out of his pocket to get it. Mine has the chrome backs and at his cost the part was 194.00 and i was going to replace it myself and the service guy said he would do it cause they are a real pain if your not careful and can break the glass.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These guys are mostly right. You cannot replace the amber light itself if you want new, you have to replace the black plastic (or Chrome) that holds the light also. The black plastic ones ran about $80 when I bought mine from Ed (FTE Parts Guy) a little over a year ago. The lights themselves are not glued to the black plastic though, they can be removed. You can check in the classifieds here or look on ebay to see if anyone is selling the light itself, or you can look into the aftermarket lights from Recon. I personally changed out my amber lights for the smoked lights from Recon and I like them much better. Buying the pair doesn't cost much more than buying a single mirror back with light from the dealer.

You don't have to remove the mirror glass to get the mirror back off either. If you tilt the glass all the way in you can look behind it and see the two latches that need depressed, and use a long screwdriver to depress them. Then tilt the mirror all the way out and there is one more tab on the other side. This is how I replaced mine. Just be sure not to sit in your drivers seat with the screwdriver sticking out of your back poket like I did

BTW here is a link to the Recon Lights.
Recon Accessories: FORD SIDE Mirror Lenses

Old 05-19-2008, 10:52 AM
pagnew
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beerstalker
These guys are mostly right. You cannot replace the amber light itself if you want new, you have to replace the black plastic (or Chrome) that holds the light also. The black plastic ones ran about $80 when I bought mine from Ed (FTE Parts Guy) a little over a year ago. The lights themselves are not glued to the black plastic though, they can be removed.

BTW here is a link to the Recon Lights.
Recon Accessories: FORD SIDE Mirror Lenses
If you can remove the black (chrome) plastic and then remove the lights - can't you just re-install the lights and re-install the black (chrome) plastic?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:53 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry if I am being retarded here. Are you guys saying that yes the amber lens does come out fairly easy and can be replaced with a unit like the smoked Recon, but the reason you cant do this with the amber lense is because Ford doesnt sell just the lens and requires you to buy the whole mirror back?

If that is true it seems silly that Ford wouldnt sell just the lens. If it is indeed a removeable item why wouldnt they sell just that individual item.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caprang
sorry if I am being retarded here. Are you guys saying that yes the amber lens does come out fairly easy and can be replaced with a unit like the smoked Recon, but the reason you cant do this with the amber lense is because Ford doesnt sell just the lens and requires you to buy the whole mirror back?

If that is true it seems silly that Ford wouldnt sell just the lens. If it is indeed a removeable item why wouldnt they sell just that individual item.
That is exactly what I am saying. For some reason Ford won't sell the lights by themselves. There is no reason for it as far as I can tell.

I originally had the chrome mirrors on my truck and didn't like them so I bought the black mirror backs and they came with new amber lights. I then bought the smoked Recon lights and replaced the amber ones, and then installed the black mirror backs with the smoked lights on my truck. I sold my chrome mirrors, and extra amber lights to a buddy at work (efoster_01 on here). As far as I know he might still have them so you might try sending him a PM to see if he would be willing to sell you one (he wrecked his 06 and has an 08 now so he really wouldn't need them).

Quick Reply: Mirror light lens