1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size floor jack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Stone Mathews
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What size floor jack?

So I wheel my floor jack beneath my new-to-me 1999 stock F-250 4X4 5.4L last night and for the first time since I've had this floor jack I realize just how tiny it is.....

Then again, this truck makes most things look tiny, like my garage for instance.

Anyway, can I get a recomendation on what size floor jack I'll need for this monster?

Thanks,

Stone

Old 05-07-2008, 02:08 PM
SBastow
Senior User
I use a 3 ton jack/stands works great.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Remmy
Senior User
6,000 lb. should be plenty. Just used one to install the readylift on my v10.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
wickerad
Freshman User
3 ton. I have the Craftsman combo that works great. Use it for the 7.3L and the mustang. The creeper is always good to have also. $129

Craftsman 3 ton Floor Jack, Jack Stands and Creeper Set - Model 50188 at Sears.com

Old 05-07-2008, 02:31 PM
MPHorvat
Junior User
Just Encounterd Floor Jack Death

Literally 2 weekends ago I was doing a tire rotation. I removed the spare, jacked up front left, swapped there, moved to rear right, swapped there, moved on to front right and began to lift, felt like the jack was struggling a bit, then heard and saw it pee'ing jack fluid all over my driveway - my 18-year-old Harbor Freight 2-1/4 Ton Floor Jack just bought the proverbial farm.

My suggestion: get one that's rated for more than 4500 pounds. Of course, one could spend considerable coin for a floor jack, several hundreds of dollars for fancy, lightweigh aluminum ones that won't lift the weight of a 3/4-ton truck w/ a big 'ole diesel engine in it. Personally, I may forego the floor jack route and return to strictly bottle jack use.

While we're (sortuv) on the topic, where does one place a jack (floor, bottle, whatever) to lift so that one can then place a proper jackstand in the proper position for it? I've encountered this on BMWs: the jackpad lift points are for both lifting and supporting, so if the position is being used to lift, you can't place the jackstand there. Instead, one must find an alternate position to lift, leaving the proper jackstand place avaialble for the stand.

Mark

Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 PM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Michelin 3 1/2 Ton floor jack and it works great. My wife gave it to me for Christmas a year and a half ago. I think she got it at Canadian Tire but in the States I think they are available at Sam's Club.

Very heavy duty jack - weighs a ton but works great. Two piece long handle. I think they are worth about $130Cdn - probably cheaper in the states. Good quality jack for the money in my opinion - perfect for the garage mechanic with a 3/4 ton truck!!

Canadian Tire

Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
I have a 3 1/2 ton floor jack from Sam's. I think it is like $70. Works great.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MPHorvat
Literally 2 weekends ago I was doing a tire rotation. I removed the spare, jacked up front left, swapped there, moved to rear right, swapped there, moved on to front right and began to lift, felt like the jack was struggling a bit, then heard and saw it pee'ing jack fluid all over my driveway - my 18-year-old Harbor Freight 2-1/4 Ton Floor Jack just bought the proverbial farm.

Thats too bad about the floor jack, I use the same one and, knock on wood, it works good still. Mine is at least 16yrs old, so maybe I still have two years left LOL!!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 PM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK guys, floor jacks are great IF you have a nice hard flat concrete floor to use them on. I have a crushed stone driveway and the jack will not roll like it's designed to when lifting very much in height. I use 4 ton and 6 ton bottle jacks and four 3 ton jack stands to get all four wheels up and solidly supported. I set the jacks under the axles and the stands as far out towards the wheels as I can. I raise the stands up a notch as soon as I have the clearance to do so, just in case the jack should slip. Even when working on the car I will use the bottle jack as soon as I can. I have a couple of scissor jacks that are good for low clearance situations and straight vertical lifting, but I prefer the bottle jacks just for brute strength.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought the 3.5 Ton jack from Sams a couple years ago. It's the one with the quick lift. After rotating the tires on my F350 is no longer quick lifted. Now it leaks and only goes 1/2 way up. It should have been able to lift the whole truck but it struggled just lifting one corner.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

My wife got me for Christmas a 3-ton Central Hydraulics floor jack from Harbor Freight. She also got me a set of 6-ton Central Machinery jack stands.

Lots of lifting and holding power now!

biz

Old 05-07-2008, 11:41 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I use a 6 ton bottle jack and 6 ton jack stands from Tractor Supply. I had to get the 6 ton stands, the three's just looked whipmy, and if my head is going to be a foot from it under a diesel engine....... yeah, I'm going bigger than necessary. I went with the bottle jack because it's small enough to carry around in my toolbox and it beats the heck out of the stock screw jack.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 PM
jlmotox
Elder User
sorry to drag up an old post but I am getting ready to do a suspension lift on my truck and was curious as to where would the safest place to put the jack stands on the frame to drop the front axle? then where in the rear is the safest? I have the harbor freight 6ton stands and the 3ton jack which so far have been great but I am now worried the stands won't be tall enough...

Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Roadfind
Senior User
lifting

I use a 6 ton air jack , so much easier than pumping 2tons into the air, besides I can press a button with one hand while sipping a barley pop with the other

Old 03-26-2009, 07:35 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlmotox
sorry to drag up an old post but I am getting ready to do a suspension lift on my truck and was curious as to where would the safest place to put the jack stands on the frame to drop the front axle? then where in the rear is the safest? I have the harbor freight 6ton stands and the 3ton jack which so far have been great but I am now worried the stands won't be tall enough...
I haven't done it on my truck and I have not seen the underside of an '05-up, but my past experience with other vehicles tells me that you need to find a flat spot on the frame behind the control arm mounts. Again, I'm not sure if this helps because I've never seen the newer setup.

Quick Reply: What size floor jack?