1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Mounting... Antenna Mounting... Wiring Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
Thats the exact antenna I was looking at. I guess I'll take a hole saw and drill from the top down right into the sheetmetal, the pilot drill on the hole saw should mark the sheetmetal for the mount. I see how a brace would be needed that antenna looks pretty thick. The pics and info is much appreciated. Great, clean setup. Rep points added. Thanks.
Thanks again. That's a really good idea. One thing I would do first though, is take the cowl off and tweak that metal piece to make it more parallel to the cowl. It kind of slopes down a bit from the factory. It might not matter that much since you'd just be marking the metal. Then put it back and drill away!

Old 05-03-2008, 10:55 AM
fordmudderone
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im running a cobra 75 wx since i have the 4wd drive on the transmission i had nowhere elsa to put one! its small and compact but works good and can easily be put in the glove box when not used i dont have a picture of it sorry but i mounted the power supply/antenna hookup under the center of the seat and and ran the mic/controller up to dash on a hook

Old 05-03-2008, 11:37 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I love the antenna mount through the cowl....I just may have to change mine around!! But here is a pic of my radio mount...... Although your is an 08....not sure if your dash opening is large enough....and you would have to switch to an aftermarket stereo if it is.....But just another idea.

Name:  cbinstall2.jpg
Views: 15737
Size:  38.6 KB

Old 05-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Headrope
Junior User
I've got some roof mount questions:

*Is mounting the CB to the roof as simple as it looks: get some tiny screws, a screw gun and screw the CB mounting bracket into the headliner?

*Is the headliner stiff enough that it can support the weight of a Cobra29 bouncing up and down on the highway? I have a 30-foot bumper-pull trailer and on some stretches of roadway I can get to bouncing pretty good.

*How do you route the wire and coax if you roof mount a CB so that it's clean?

Thanks for the help. I've roof mounted a CB before in my older trucks so am used to having it there. Those trucks didn't have a spiffy headliner though - just steel (remember steel?). Add to that how quickly not caring about dangling wires and cutting holes changed when I bought my '05 SuperDuty last year. It's almost too pretty for being a truck. And costs a "bit" more.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:21 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Headrope

*Is mounting the CB to the roof as simple as it looks: get some tiny screws, a screw gun and screw the CB mounting bracket into the headliner?

*Is the headliner stiff enough that it can support the weight of a Cobra29 bouncing up and down on the highway? I have a 30-foot bumper-pull trailer and on some stretches of roadway I can get to bouncing pretty good.

Thanks for the help. I've roof mounted a CB before in my older trucks so am used to having it there. Those trucks didn't have a spiffy headliner though - just steel (remember steel?). Add to that how quickly not caring about dangling wires and cutting holes changed when I bought my '05 SuperDuty last year. It's almost too pretty for being a truck. And costs a "bit" more.

It isn't the headliner that is holding the CB up there....it is the center roof bracket/support or whatever it is called.... if you look you will see that there is two layers of metal up there about 3/4 of an inch gap between them. The screws just attach to the bottom layer and that holds the weight.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:29 PM
HUNTSDUCKS
Freshman User
here's another option

Old 05-03-2008, 03:50 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Headrope

BillyBob's right about screwing into the metal behind the headliner. As for the wires I got a 90 deg fitting to go on the back of the CB for the antenna to screw into and just tucked the power and antenna wires up under the headliner. I pulled the plastic cover off the pillar and ran them down to behind the dash from there.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:15 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja
Thanks again. That's a really good idea. One thing I would do first though, is take the cowl off and tweak that metal piece to make it more parallel to the cowl. It kind of slopes down a bit from the factory. It might not matter that much since you'd just be marking the metal. Then put it back and drill away!
I figured I'll have to do some tweaking to get it straight. The Firestick is alot thicker than the radio antenna so I am thinking of putting the anti wind noise plastic sleeve over the antenna base to give it a thicker look. My dads 03' SD has this plastic sleeve over the radio antenna, my 04' does not. I got an undercover hard tonneu on my truck and I don't want any visible wires, thats why the way you mounted your cb antenna is the ticket for me. Its going to be a while till I get to the CB install as I'm going to do the CB install Billybob69 style and replace the factory head unit and factory speakers while I'm at it.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:57 PM
TeamRiceRacing
New User
BillyBob...Where did you get that radio mount from? I have that exact radio and CB and would love to hook it up like that in my 99!

Old 05-03-2008, 05:08 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by TeamRiceRacing
BillyBob...Where did you get that radio mount from? I have that exact radio and CB and would love to hook it up like that in my 99!

Fleabay......Here is a link to a current sale....cheap but very functional. Just a little tweaking on the mounting kit...a little on the dash...but nothing major.

Ford F150 F250 F350 1999-2003 Double Din Radio Dash Kit - eBay (item 220230260545 end time May-07-08 18:18:01 PDT)

Old 05-03-2008, 06:48 PM
6.9ford84(smoker)
New User
I put my uniden cb in the center of the dash of my truck by getting a piece of stainless steel bent for my cb. Works great cause i can hang my mic on a "gear saver" hanging on the rear view mirror. For antennas im running two 4' kenworth fiberglass antennas (one is fer pretty) mounted on the mirrors.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:41 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got francis sticks painted white (DUAL) on the mirors and radio under the little cubby just right of the steering wheel. I hang the mic with a baby bunggy cord from the rear view mirror. The sticks you can see in my gallery, but i'll get a picture in there of the radio.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:32 PM
12engine
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F350-6
BillyBob's right about screwing into the metal behind the headliner. As for the wires I got a 90 deg fitting to go on the back of the CB for the antenna to screw into and just tucked the power and antenna wires up under the headliner. I pulled the plastic cover off the pillar and ran them down to behind the dash from there.
Im thinkin of doing the same with my radio in my 94 f150. do you think that would work? im running a wilson 5000 trucker thats mounted to on the cab side of my safety rack. its mounted on the cab side so the load in my bed doesnt take out the components (been there done that).

Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 12engine
Im thinkin of doing the same with my radio in my 94 f150. do you think that would work? im running a wilson 5000 trucker thats mounted to on the cab side of my safety rack. its mounted on the cab side so the load in my bed doesnt take out the components (been there done that).
I don't see why not. I'd recommend drilling a very small pilot hole and using a piece of wire to determine what depth you have to deal with before you decide what screw to use. There's a chance that the 94 used thicker metal than the newer trucks. To me they look more rugged and truck like than the 97+ trucks.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 PM
12engine
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F350-6
I don't see why not. I'd recommend drilling a very small pilot hole and using a piece of wire to determine what depth you have to deal with before you decide what screw to use. There's a chance that the 94 used thicker metal than the newer trucks. To me they look more rugged and truck like than the 97+ trucks.
thats funny my dad said it couldnt be done. lol.
I agree, the late 90s F series are more race truck looking than 96 and back, which were work truck looking. if I mount it between the visors ill post pics for everyones benefit.

thanks.
ps if anybodys in southeastern CT and sees a dark green f150 standard cab, gimme a holler on the CB. Connecticuts gentleman is my handle, and im on 19.

Quick Reply: CB Mounting... Antenna Mounting... Wiring Questions...