1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Stage II's, 17* HPOP & GP's this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:59 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That Wiki writeup looks pretty good. There are also several others floating around the forums and at vendor sites that sell injectors. I would skip the little oil and fuel galley plugs, just clean out the cylinders. I would recommend you do the injectors first, then the glow plugs. That way any extra fluid can be blown out the glow plug holes. With no glow plugs in, put on the valve covers with 2 bolts each, top off the HPOP, and then jump the starter silonoid. That should clean out the cylinders enough. Then do the glow plugs and keep topping off the HPOP and cranking it to help get the air out. After each cranking you can crack the plugs on the heads and let the air out. Keep doing it till oil comes out the head plugs and the HPOP stays full.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanx MagCarl
Question: Before I get started the link recommended that I drain the oil. Now, when I spin the motor over to clear the cylinders I should fill the oil first (duh). But I guess the question is; is it necessary to drain all the oil out before I get started? If I left the oil in the pan I could then spin the motor and fill the rails and clear the cylinders.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:49 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
you want ALL fluids out of the cylinders i believe that's the point of draining the oil first, so you don't have fuel and oil mixing??? i forget what i did when i did my injectors... and neal!!! finally you're getting the IIs!!!!!! can't wait to see your reaction

Old 05-01-2008, 11:12 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Neal, I don't see the point in draining the oil before you start, but I would change it as soon as you clear the cylinders, before you do a lot of cranking to start purging air. The other thing I would add is leave the valve covers off till you get it started, just to verify that all 8 are functioning, pumping oil, no oil leaks from o-rings, etc.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:32 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MagKarl
Neal, I don't see the point in draining the oil before you start, but I would change it as soon as you clear the cylinders, before you do a lot of cranking to start purging air. The other thing I would add is leave the valve covers off till you get it started, just to verify that all 8 are functioning, pumping oil, no oil leaks from o-rings, etc.
DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE THE GLOW PLUGS OUT!!!! MY GARAGE HAS OIL AND FUEL STAINS ON THE WALL CAUSE OF THIS just my 2c lol

Old 05-01-2008, 12:02 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
You're missing the point here Glasseater, the glow plugs MUST be removed if you want to blow the cylinders clean and reduce the risk of trying to compress fluid. If you read my previous post you'd see where I told him to put the covers on with two bolts each before spinning the motor. Obviously he would need to remove the valve covers again in order to install the glow plugs and eventually attempt to start his motor.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MagKarl
You're missing the point here Glasseater, the glow plugs MUST be removed if you want to blow the cylinders clean and reduce the risk of trying to compress fluid. If you read my previous post you'd see where I told him to put the covers on with two bolts each before spinning the motor. Obviously he would need to remove the valve covers again in order to install the glow plugs and eventually attempt to start his motor.
oh see i was confused cause in your last post you said to remove the valve covers until it's started, which is the opposite of what you want to do... you'd want to blow them clean with the valve covers on loosely

Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
My Plan

I will leave the old oil in there till after I purge the cylinders with the VC's on. Then install GP's, change oil and filter, add oil to HPOP, purge railstill she fires. Then let run with VC's off to verify all injects are working and oil is flowing thru them.

Sound right?

Thanx to all you guys and reps to those that I can rep.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:52 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I did mine the first thing I did was drain the oil. It's not going to hurt anything tappin' the starter once or twice to purge the oil.

However, you doing the hpop too so that might be why you want to keep the oil in?

Old 05-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Yes Farm that is what I am thinking. ????

Edit: Well actually I was thinking of putting new oil in there to prime the HPOP and oil rails. I guess a couple of rotations can't hurt.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:03 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is how I did it. I drained the oil. Did the injectors/gp's and then filled it back up to prime it with the new oil.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Yeah the oil doesn't need to be drained from the pan before hand. Neal I think you have a handle on what needs to be done. Also on the Torque specs don't forget I have a full list in my webshots under tech info.

Neal, did Jim find any major issues inside the injectors?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Yeah Tim the AA's were excelent but the AO's had 4 bad plunger pistons and some extra machine work too. He didn't charge me for the machine work but I had to pay $50 for each piston. $1085 total bill.
I believe I have a good idea what I need to do but it doesn't hurt to ask. This thread has provided me with even more knowledge. Thanx to all.
I will get the specs from your webshots since I can't access webshots here at work. Thanx especially to you.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Neal, chances are I'll be offline for the weekend. Good luck on the project! Don't forget to take a few pics if you can. (something I regret not doing when I pulled mine...)

-Robb

Old 05-02-2008, 08:43 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
Yeah Tim the AA's were excelent but the AO's had 4 bad plunger pistons and some extra machine work too. He didn't charge me for the machine work but I had to pay $50 for each piston. $1085 total bill.
I believe I have a good idea what I need to do but it doesn't hurt to ask. This thread has provided me with even more knowledge. Thanx to all.
I will get the specs from your webshots since I can't access webshots here at work. Thanx especially to you.
Good deal Neal. I was hoping the injectors just needed armature clearance restored and didn't need any other parts. Glad to hear you will be running and gunnin soon!

Quick Reply: Stage II's, 17* HPOP & GP's this weekend