2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad glass scratch

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
electrk
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad glass scratch

Anybody have any good ways to either fix or take the curse off a
bad scratch on my windshield. It showed up after a rain storm yesterday
I thought it was just a splatted bug but it is a scratch right in my
field of view

Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
Not sure how big your scratch is, but I've had good success when I had a couple of stone chips and having them repaired. You couldn't see any signs of the chip afterwards. I would ask a glass store if that will work for your scratch. Most insurances will replace if it's in your line of view..

Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 AM
felixr
Elder User
If you have comp and collision on your insurance policy, take a bat and smash the window (I'm not kidding) then call your insurance for a free one. They dont count it as a claim either. Check with your insurance company to make sure they do this.

otherwise, one of those glass repair kits available at any parts store would be my next suggestion except that those are mostly for chips and not long hairline type of cracks which this scratch might be similar to

google the stuff and read up on your best option(s)

i recommend going with the stress relieving suggestion noted above . . .put a picture of your boss or ex on there first . . .to help you aim that is

Old 04-30-2008, 11:48 AM
electrk
Junior User
SMAAAAASH!!!! thats what the glass repair guy just said also
He said all the fixits were just bunk for scratch repair.
I just don't want to replace the winshield just yet, as it
seems with every repair there is something new to fix after
the shop gets done. Any recomendations for a shop in
new hampshire.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM
felixr
Elder User
do you not have comp & collision? if you do, im tellin you man . . smash it and call the insurance up (after you have found out if they will in fact replace it for free -state laws may vary) and let them worry about the shop and all that

Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by felixr
do you not have comp & collision? if you do, im tellin you man . . smash it and call the insurance up (after you have found out if they will in fact replace it for free -state laws may vary) and let them worry about the shop and all that
Exactly, the insurance companies have thier favorite or on contract companies that provide the best service for you and the best price for the insurance man.

Tim

Old 04-30-2008, 03:09 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Kentuck has a glass breakage law that will get it replaced for free. Colorado makes you pay your deductible.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Rusty Bumper
Junior User
Originally Posted by electrk
Any recomendations for a shop in
new hampshire.
I've had a number of windshields replaced at Portland Glass over the years after getting star cracks from pebbles thrown from tires of falling off truck beds. No complaints and the insurance covered it. I also used Windshield World recently with the same results although there are only four shops in Cow Hampshire.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 PM
tomdoggie
Senior User
Theres someone else trying to rip off the insurance company. Ill bet you get mad when your ins. bill goes up.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Rusty Bumper
Junior User
Originally Posted by tomdoggie
Theres someone else trying to rip off the insurance company. Ill bet you get mad when your ins. bill goes up.
No, I wasn't ripping off the insurance company. Cracks in the windshield, even star cracks, are illegal and the vehicle is not inspectable in VT if they are in your line of vision - essentially the path of the wiper blades I've been told. Windshield damage is quite common due to the spreading of sand and salt during the winter.

Surprisingly, my premiums didn't increase after submitting each claim.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:31 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
Justify it in anyway you want Rusty Bumper, but you're commiting insurance fraud. When you contacted your insurance company, did you tell them you smashed the windshield or did you claim a rock hit it? I vote for the rock story....

Your premiums wont go up from a windshield claim, but at renewal time, they may or if you switch insurance companies they may hit you with an increase due to the claims.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Rusty Bumper
Junior User
Originally Posted by svt2205
Justify it in anyway you want Rusty Bumper, but you're commiting insurance fraud. When you contacted your insurance company, did you tell them you smashed the windshield or did you claim a rock hit it? I vote for the rock story....

Your premiums wont go up from a windshield claim, but at renewal time, they may or if you switch insurance companies they may hit you with an increase due to the claims.
Please reread the threads. I was simply responding to electrk's question about a repair shop. I have never intentionally smashed a windshield. My windshields were damaged by rocks thrown by or falling from vehicles in front of me causing star cracks. Having windshields repaired or replaced after damage from road hazards is not insurance fraud.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:33 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by felixr
If you have comp and collision on your insurance policy, take a bat and smash the window (I'm not kidding) then call your insurance for a free one. They dont count it as a claim either.
You live in a fantasy world. Besides it being fraud, it is counted as a claim even though your premium may not rise at the time. Any time a claim of any kind is made, it is entered into CLUE which tracks all claims made to any insurance company. One thing that is considered in when insuring or retaining an insurance customer is claims frequency. It will also determine the rate of new customers. Past claims frequency is a good indicator of future claims frequency. Frequent users of insurance are "claims conscious" and are avoided by insurance companies. You make a small claim or two and think you are safe but you never know when you are going to need your policy for a larger claim and before you know sit, you end up cancelled for excessive claims. That is why I have $500 deductible on my comprehensive and collision coverage. I can handle the small stuff and I learned from the stupidity of others after 31+ years in the insurance business.

Besides, I've had cases where people have seen other people commit insurance fraud (intentional acts) and they have reported them. The owner got to see what the inside of a jail looked like.