Sponsored by: Moser

Nostalgic Air Add on A/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 PM
palehorse13
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nostalgic Air Add on A/C

I am buying a 1973 Ford F-250 pick up with a 360. It was formerly a fire truck vehicle and was bought by a friend at auction. The truck is in great shape and only has about 35K on the odometer but it does NOT have A/C. There was a time when I would have been very happy with "240 air conditioning" (open 2 windows and go 40 mph) but those days are over. Several companies make after market A/C systems but Nostalgic is the only one that appears to have a behind the dash system "specifically designed" for a 1973. The system costs $895.00 (which seems cheaper than a lot of the other companies mentioned in the threads I searched) but seems to have everything you need to install an A/C system:

"Complete kit for any 73-79 Ford pickup. The kit includes The evaporator with controls and vents, to mount the a/c hidden behind the dash. Condenser, drier, hose kit, compressor, mount kit for the compressor, belt, and crank pulley. All necessary mounting hardware is included as well. Please specify year and engine size in comment page prior to submitting payment."

I have searched the forum and seen how a lot of you have got an entire A/C system from a donor truck in a junk yard for $50.00 but that ain't happening here in northern VA and even if it was I have enough trouble trying to get new A/C to run without trying to trouble shoot moisture and other issues on used A/C parts. Those of you who can do it are far better (and luckier) mechanics than me! In any case I was wondering if anyone had any experience (good or bad) with Nostalgic Air parts?

Thanks,

Scott

Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 PM
lostinfords
Posting Guru
Scott, I have the aftermarket under-the-dash air that i installed 10 yrs ago, it works good, although I am not sure who manufacturers the unit that I have, I will try to see if there is some markings/labels on it later, if you need it. I do know that there is a guy in Jersey, Dash-Auto air, in point pleasant or point pleasant beach, who has been doing it for almost forever, who assisted me w/ advice, both over the phone and in person. His ph.# should be listed, if you can't get it pm me. He should be able to advise you on the quality of the system. I hear you on the used parts, as far as the moisture 'issues.'

Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 AM
palehorse13
Freshman User
Thanks for the response. If there is a proven system out there (especially if it's cheaper) I am not looking to re-invent the wheel. I have had under dash systems on several of my cars and they have all worked better (and longer) than factory installed systems. Any information you might be able to provide would be appreciated. Scott

Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 AM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Underdash systems would be the easiest way to go. Maybe check out Vintage Air underdash systems. Or, I would suggest trying to find a donor truck with the stock setup, but keep in mind, the compressor alone would be over $250 give or take if you need a new one. Plus, the conversion would be very time consuming. Very doable, but you'd need to take your dash out, cut a big hole in the firewall and mess with some wiring. Underdash units are very cold and would do the job.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:00 AM
lostinfords
Posting Guru
Scott, I checked for labels/markings on my underdash unit and I could not see anything, sorry. Maybe give that guy a call that I mentioned previously, I had originally used a factory ford compressor for many years and then I switched to a more modern set up. W/ the older ford compressor I just had the a/c lines made up at a shop, but the install of the system was easy, because I had my dash out and it only involved 3 holes, 2 a/c lines and a drain, drilled through the firewall, I changed the non-air dash to the factory air dash and outside of the controls next to the center vent, it looks like factory, to those that aren't keen to fords.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 PM
reynard101
Senior User
I looked into Nostalgic Products. But I had a local vintage air dealer and decided if I ran into problems I could seek their advice.

Not sure if it's worth it or not. I have air, but it was expensive and took some serious time installing it. Then again, in a month when it's 115, I won't be sweating as profusely.

Here's my experiences with installing a Vintage Air system in my 1977 F-150 4x4, lots of pictures. take a look...My Vintage Air Install at PJB, Brown F150

Everyone love pictures.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 PM
flcracker9
More Turbo
Old 04-29-2008, 08:29 PM
lostinfords
Posting Guru
It looks like my install is similar to the nostalgic air system but my control switches are next the center vent and mine utilizes the factory air ducts that was ducted to the aftermarket a/c assembly when I changed the dash some 8+ yrs ago.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:27 AM
jim4
Junior User
Scott,
I too live in nva. There is a teacher in auto mechanics at manasas nvcc who teaches a/c only. It is a once a week night only class that may help you. He teaches all about how it works, and then will help you fix your a/c. I have a 76 f250 that came with a/c, but when I bought it no a/c. So I went online and this guy in montana? sold me the whole a/c setup for my truck for about 300. Clean the parts, repaint them, and then install them. Then you get to trouble shoot the a/c system. Seems like alot of work but you will then have a factory a/c setup with 134a running. the after market stuff will cost you more than you think. Look into the class at manasas nvcc. It is worth it.
JIM

Old 04-30-2008, 10:49 AM
reynard101
Senior User
Dang, I never found them and they're in town.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:33 PM
flcracker9
More Turbo
Originally Posted by reynard101
Dang, I never found them and they're in town.
I stumbled across them 2 years ago when I was looking to cool down my 74, and I saved them in my favorites.
Good Luck!

Old 05-02-2008, 07:43 AM
palehorse13
Freshman User
Thank you all for your input. There is nothing like being able to gain the experience (and see pictures) of other people who have "boldly gone where no one has gone before" or "rushed in where Angels fear to tread" (depending on your assessment about glasses being half empty or half full). I consider myself to be a fairly good mechanic (for a Chevy guy) but A/C is about a 50/50 mix of mechanics and art. I am convinced (based on my experience) you can have it all installed "correctly" and the damn thing still not work and then have an experienced A/C come by and just "talk dirty" to it and it will freeze you out of the car/truck. I also am a little leery of aftermarket equipment and manufacturers that I haven't dealt with before. In any case I appreciate all of your input. After I decide which way I am going with this (and based on all of your inputs, I am now thinking under dash unit as opposed to behind dash)I will post and let you know how it is going. Thanks again, Scott

Old 05-02-2008, 05:18 PM
fordophile
Junior User
here's one more idea- i know you're saying salvage trucks not plentiful in your area, but consider that in the mid-70s a LOT of these trucks came from the factory w/o air, even when special-ordered, and dealers commonly installed a/c....there may have been as many dealer-installed as factory back then....

the dealer setups were typically basic by-the-numbers affairs, and largely installed behind (and maybe a little below) dash, with no evaporator underhood or need to cut bulkhead other than for the 2 hoses to compressor (there's also a water drain hose through floor)....if you could locate a junker with the dealer setup, it probably wouldn't take a lot for someone to remove the hardware....you'd want to get a new compressor, hoses, drier and maybe tx (thermostatic expansion valve)....this would be the equivalent of the complete 'vintage air' setups commercially available today....moisture in components would not be a concern....you just want to have condensor and evap coils in good condition....

Old 08-02-2017, 04:42 PM
lewistg
Senior User
Very interested in the end results. I was about to pull the trigger on a nostalgic ac until i read this. J emailed vintage air and they said i will have to figure out what i want. They were little to no help. Cant afford to be ordering systems that may not fit.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:07 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A good under dash unit "back in the day" was the Mark IV. They are re-produced. This is the "in cab" part only. It would need compressor, hoses, valves, drier and condenser in addition. Not low cost.

There used to be a company that re-produced the "dealer installed" setup but may be out of business. I can't find it.

I have considered both of the above... but still get along with my rear slider window + windows + floor vents.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-672001vhy

Quick Reply: Nostalgic Air Add on A/C