1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

fuel pump part question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:01 PM
surfpunk
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pump part question

i was installing a new turbo and downpipe this weekend and accidentally damaged the fuel line coming from the transfer/fuel pump. my question is what is that part exactly called that bolts to the pump that has the lines and round black peice attached to it? kragen and napa dont have it on stock or even know what the hell it is and i would like to order it asap online (since i dont have a truck and cant make it to ford on monday).

also, about a month or two ago my pump went out and was spraying fuel very badly from the drivers side of the pump. when i replaced it i replaced the pump itself as well as the peice with the lines (since i didnt know exactly what was broken). whats usually the case when these pumps go out? would it be worth the gamble to bolt on the old part and possibly have to pull the turbo again?

also, wheres the best place to order ford parts online?

Old 04-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-20-2008, 02:24 PM
surfpunk
Junior User
the second one. i think it might be called an accumulator?

anywhere to order it online? i can get a ride to work and home, but kind of ****ed on being able to get driven around for errands (ie ordering this part from ford).

Old 04-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
The second pict is a california emissions pump. Not as many of them as the 49 states, fed pump, first pict. Are you talking about #4 in the pict?...The spaceship looking thing it's a fuel pressure pulse damper. I don't think you will be able to get a new one. Junkyard is your only hope unless someone here has one.

Also, if you can get the other one it will fit too....just not sure if it will effect the engine performance....i guessing it will be OK...anyone else?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:07 PM
surfpunk
Junior User
interesting. i know i can get a new one from ford because i already got one a couple months ago when my pump went out. are the pumps themselves the same and just the peice that bolts on with the lines different?

basically one of those lines broke (#3) so I have to buy that whole assembly that bolts onto the pump.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Pretty sure the pumps are the same. I'm surprised that Ford still carries that part? Bet it is pricey?

Depending on where it's broken, You could repair the line with a double flaring kit. You can rent (free) them from most mega auto part stores. Autozone ect.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:38 AM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
The pump is the same in both applications. The bolt-on thingy in the back is what is different. In 49 states it is short and easy to change with the turbo on. The banjo bolt for that one is shorter and so you can just reach in under the turbo and get it with a 1 1/4" wrench. The Cali one has the accumulator built into it to smooth out the pulses from the fuel pump to even out the fuel pressure and improve emissions. The banjo bolt is longer and so it is further under the turbo and can not be reached without turbo removal. You can certainly use the old part from last month or try to locate a standard one with the shorter banjo bolt and use that set-up instead. They say you should replace the two washers on the banjo bolt to be sure they don't leak but I've always just tightened them up really good and never had leaks. I have found loose ones that I tightened and they stopped leaking.
I have an old Cali one laying around if you need it but it sounds like you have your old one that you can use.

ps-You're going to like the new downpipe. Did you open up or eliminate the cat?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:45 AM
kawa
Postmaster
I don't completely understand what part SurfPunk damaged. If he just changed the fuel pump recently then the accumulator as well as the banjo fittings with fuel lines would have been transfered over to the replacement pump. What is there to salvage?

QUESTION!
Did you damage the big black disc that sits on top of the pump or did you damage the fuel lines that connect to the rear of the heads from the banjo bolt that is attached to the rear of the pump?

I think that he needs the Banjo fuel "Y" to the heads from the pump. But why did he replace it the first time?
(Perhaps this is why I didn't pass that dang test!)

Rog

Old 04-21-2008, 09:53 PM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
He replaced it when he did the fuel pump because he wasn't sure exactly what was leaking and he didn't want to have to go back in there.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:26 PM
surfpunk
Junior User
exactly.

the reason i did both a month ago was it was spewing a TON of fuel, and it looked like it was coming from the fuel line (like a pin hole in the line) but upon further inspection it was squirting onto the line. so instead of replacing the fuel pump and finding out it was that other peice (which i still dont know what the hell they call it) i just replaced them both. The pump was about 100 bucks and that other peice that bolts onto the pump with the lines was about 100 bucks as well. infact, we actually thought that the pump was fine and the other part was screwed up but didnt want to gamble with it.

kawa - (yesterday) i damaged the fuel line itself, not the black peice.

but a little update on the situation: i decided just to bolt the turbo back on (since i had to have it mounted to do the downpipe) and started it up and the fuel line was not leaking. but, im going to buy that peice anyways and replace it ASAP, fuel leaks are no fun.

youd be surprised by how big of a douche bag you feel like when you have a flatbed trailer but have no truck to tow it with because your tow truck is on that flatbed trailer!

anyways, i didnt do anything to the cat yet, but im probably gonna delete it. i HAD to have my truck running and was running out of day light so i just left the cat until i have time. ill probably cut it out when i replace the lines. i also need to clearance the firewall a little more, im pretty sure my motor is pushed back as far as it will go (the transmission is pushed all the way back in the slotted mount) and i have the downpipe hitting both the firewall and the up pipe and am getting a LOT of noise in the cab. i just need to get a sawzall to get some cuts in the firewall to assist it in bending... i didnt have my sawzall so i cut out the stock downpipe with a 4.5" angle grinder- i wouldnt recommend that method.

sorry for the novel.

Originally Posted by F350_Hauler
He replaced it when he did the fuel pump because he wasn't sure exactly what was leaking and he didn't want to have to go back in there.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:58 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Originally Posted by surfpunk
exactly.

t

you'd be surprised by how big of a douche bag you feel like when you have a flatbed trailer but have no truck to tow it with because your tow truck is on that flatbed trailer!

sorry for the novel.
Ya just gotta luv that line.

Rog

Old 04-22-2008, 03:56 AM
4x4 factory
Junior User
speaking of fuel pumps and damper how in the heck are you supposed to read the pressure with it bouncing all over the place,yes it has a high and low spot but seems like constant pressure would make a differance.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
bugdout
New User
ok in pic 1 #2 is the injector pump correct? I have a fuel dripping off of mine.. if I change it is there anything else I should change?