Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2008, 08:50 PM
02Taco 02Taco is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 140
02Taco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nissian TITAN selling out to Dodge!

1 less full size on the market!

It looks like the next generation TITAN might just be a rebadged Ram! Just thought i would share the link.

I think its kind of a bummer, i kinda liked the TITANS. oh well.


http://www.thecarconnection.com/blog/?p=1182
__________________
2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport - All Stock

2002 Tacoma TRD 4x4 - 2.0 SAW coilovers, Camburg UCAs, 5125s in the rear, TRD headers, TRD Exhaust, BFG ATs, Grey Wire Mod, 2 Low Mod, and more to come.

1988 Honda CRX - B18b swap, Intake, Intake Manifold, Headers, Exhaust, 8lb flywheel, and more to come.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2008, 09:24 PM
YoGeorge YoGeorge is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,580
YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
The Mexico part is a bummer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Taco View Post
1 less full size on the market!

It looks like the next generation TITAN might just be a rebadged Ram! Just thought i would share the link.

I think its kind of a bummer, i kinda liked the TITANS. oh well.


http://www.thecarconnection.com/blog/?p=1182
One of my son's friends had a Titan, first year model I think, and had a LOT of problems with it--axles, transfer case, brakes, etc. I felt kind of bad because I recommended it to his family (after they had some terrible luck with an F150).

Consumer Reports rates the Titan as very problematic through all years of production and the 4WD Titan and Armada make the CR "worst of the worst" list... There are no Fords on this list, nor are there any of the Dodge trucks. Bunch of stuff like the GM midsize pickups, GM minivans, Land Rovers....

I suspect the full-size truck market is necessarily shrinking as people move to smaller cars, and although the Titan had a lot of promise, it was a piece of junk in practice.

One disappointment for me is that I'm in the Detroit area, and it would really help us out if the rebadged Dodge trucks could be built at the Dodge truck plant in Warren, MI (about 15 miles from here) instead of Mexico...

George
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Ryan50hrl's Avatar
Ryan50hrl Ryan50hrl is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Neenah, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,698
Ryan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to behold
I think its great....less competition for ford....
__________________
Hey Guys.....vote for me please...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...round-7-a.html
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
hofuf hofuf is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 553
hofuf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"move the Infiniti QX56 production back to Japan"

So much for the Japanese companies adding jobs to the U.S.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 AM
02Taco 02Taco is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 140
02Taco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
One of my son's friends had a Titan, first year model I think, and had a LOT of problems with it--axles, transfer case, brakes, etc. I felt kind of bad because I recommended it to his family (after they had some terrible luck with an F150).

Consumer Reports rates the Titan as very problematic through all years of production and the 4WD Titan and Armada make the CR "worst of the worst" list... There are no Fords on this list, nor are there any of the Dodge trucks. Bunch of stuff like the GM midsize pickups, GM minivans, Land Rovers....

I suspect the full-size truck market is necessarily shrinking as people move to smaller cars, and although the Titan had a lot of promise, it was a piece of junk in practice.

One disappointment for me is that I'm in the Detroit area, and it would really help us out if the rebadged Dodge trucks could be built at the Dodge truck plant in Warren, MI (about 15 miles from here) instead of Mexico...

George
I am with you on this one, the TITANS had a lot of problems. But it was their first fullsize truck, so you cant expect it to be perfect. I think the problem is that they didnt fix all the bugs in time (or at all).

I really liked the 5.6 engine though, not the most HP or fastest, but it really picked up and seemed to have more power than it actually had.

oh well, another one bites the dust.
__________________
2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport - All Stock

2002 Tacoma TRD 4x4 - 2.0 SAW coilovers, Camburg UCAs, 5125s in the rear, TRD headers, TRD Exhaust, BFG ATs, Grey Wire Mod, 2 Low Mod, and more to come.

1988 Honda CRX - B18b swap, Intake, Intake Manifold, Headers, Exhaust, 8lb flywheel, and more to come.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 AM
SMIGGS's Avatar
SMIGGS SMIGGS is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,452
SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.
Basically Dodge and Nissan have nothing to lose in this partnership. Both of them combined right now barely sell compared to Ford and GM.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK94F150 View Post
It's an internet forum, get used to it. It's like having a drunk conversation with every single person in the bar minus the "I love you man".
2000 Excursion Limited - 7.3 Diesel - Mine
2005 Freestar Sport - The wife's
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008, 10:46 AM
naplesbill naplesbill is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 51
naplesbill is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIGGS View Post
Basically Dodge and Nissan have nothing to lose in this partnership. Both of them combined right now barely sell compared to Ford and GM.
Agreed. The Titan is a hit or miss on looks. You either love it or hate it. The Dodge Ram is a good looking truck but I really don't know that the quality is any better than the Titan. It probably is.

I do know that a friend of mine bought a Dodge Ram back in '03. When he showed it to me it was dark and I said "I kind of like the three tone interior." He looked at me and said it was only one color. Well, the next time I saw it was in the daytime. It looked mostly one color during the day but at night none of the different materials matched. To me, when you spend that much money on a truck, the materials should at least work together.

Oh well, I don't see Chrylser letting Nissan use the Hemi so maybe the 5.6 will stay?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 AM
SMIGGS's Avatar
SMIGGS SMIGGS is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,452
SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naplesbill View Post
Oh well, I don't see Chrylser letting Nissan use the Hemi so maybe the 5.6 will stay?
I heard the opposite. I think is was posted here some time back that Dodge was possibly canning the Hemi and going with the 5.6 instead.

Who knows though, personally, besides getting horrible mileage ( I guess that's a moot point when no half ton V8 really shines in this category )I thought the 5.6 to be a pretty good motor.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK94F150 View Post
It's an internet forum, get used to it. It's like having a drunk conversation with every single person in the bar minus the "I love you man".
2000 Excursion Limited - 7.3 Diesel - Mine
2005 Freestar Sport - The wife's
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 AM
02Taco 02Taco is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 140
02Taco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIGGS View Post
I heard the opposite. I think is was posted here some time back that Dodge was possibly canning the Hemi and going with the 5.6 instead.

Who knows though, personally, besides getting horrible mileage ( I guess that's a moot point when no half ton V8 really shines in this category )I thought the 5.6 to be a pretty good motor.

I thought dodge was going to be bumping up the numbers of the 5.7 HEMI to match or beat the 5.7 Tundra (380HP & 404 TQ )for their new 2009 Ram?

It wouldnt make since to release a new motor for only a few years? But who knows, time will tell.

The new Dodge Hemi V8 engine

2009 Dodge Ram Preview Car Reviews - The Car Connection
__________________
2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport - All Stock

2002 Tacoma TRD 4x4 - 2.0 SAW coilovers, Camburg UCAs, 5125s in the rear, TRD headers, TRD Exhaust, BFG ATs, Grey Wire Mod, 2 Low Mod, and more to come.

1988 Honda CRX - B18b swap, Intake, Intake Manifold, Headers, Exhaust, 8lb flywheel, and more to come.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008, 11:36 AM
SMIGGS's Avatar
SMIGGS SMIGGS is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,452
SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Taco View Post
I thought dodge was going to be bumping up the numbers of the 5.7 HEMI to match or beat the 5.7 Tundra (380HP & 404 TQ )for their new 2009 Ram?

It wouldnt make since to release a new motor for only a few years? But who knows, time will tell.

The new Dodge Hemi V8 engine

2009 Dodge Ram Preview Car Reviews - The Car Connection
Chrysler's future does not come with a Hemi powertrain - Autoblog

PickupTruck.com - Update 4: Chrysler to Build Full Size Truck for Nissan

It's confusing. But I'm thinking seeing the the first link I posted was announced before all of this, maybe it's still a go?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK94F150 View Post
It's an internet forum, get used to it. It's like having a drunk conversation with every single person in the bar minus the "I love you man".
2000 Excursion Limited - 7.3 Diesel - Mine
2005 Freestar Sport - The wife's
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 AM
naplesbill naplesbill is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 51
naplesbill is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, after reading both of those articles two things are obvious. One, the V6 engines discussed by Chrysler are more likely intended to replace the Hemi in passenger cars than their trucks. I'm sure they will offer a V8 but could drop the Hemi name altogether. Two, there is no way of knowing what will happen for the new Titan since neither company has been willing to provide any concrete details on powertrain.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008, 12:03 PM
02Taco 02Taco is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 140
02Taco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIGGS View Post
Chrysler's future does not come with a Hemi powertrain - Autoblog

PickupTruck.com - Update 4: Chrysler to Build Full Size Truck for Nissan

It's confusing. But I'm thinking seeing the the first link I posted was announced before all of this, maybe it's still a go?
Maybe they are just dumping money into redesigning the 5.7 HEMI so they dont lose face to Toyota? Seems like a waste if they are going to be dropping the motor anyways.
__________________
2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport - All Stock

2002 Tacoma TRD 4x4 - 2.0 SAW coilovers, Camburg UCAs, 5125s in the rear, TRD headers, TRD Exhaust, BFG ATs, Grey Wire Mod, 2 Low Mod, and more to come.

1988 Honda CRX - B18b swap, Intake, Intake Manifold, Headers, Exhaust, 8lb flywheel, and more to come.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008, 12:23 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hacienda Heights CA
Posts: 54,455
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Consumer Reports only tested one Titan, a 2004 model.

All their subsequent year reviews, including 2008 have read exactly the same: Loud exhaust, poor brakes, yadda yadda yadda.

What was wrong with the brakes, had to do with "brake judder," nothing else.

All the brake issues were resolved by midyear 2005, Nissan replaced the front rotors and pads with a new design, and extended the brake warranty to 5/60,000 for all 2004/2005's whether they were affected or not.

There was never a recall, in fact the only recall I'm aware of that Titan's had, was for a wiring clip that needed to be replaced for the 2006 CC's left rear door power window motor wiring harness.

Why didn't the Titan sell? Lack of advertising on Renault's part is the answer.

For every Titan ad, GM had 100!

Several months ago, Carlos Ghosn, CEO of Renault-Nissan, in an interview he gave to Automotive News, announced that Titans, Armada's and Infiniti QX56's were to be discontinued after 2008.

When I read that, I knew that once the word got around, the trio's resale value would drop to nothing, because...no one wants to get stuck with an orphan.

Renault owns 33% of Nissan, which by Japanese standards, gives Renault a controlling interest.

It's a fact. The frogs have never been successful selling trucks (and all of their made in France cars) in the US market, they don't understand the US market, and never have.

There have been no French vehicles sold in the US since Peugeot left the US market in the early 1990's.

My dad was the Citroen-Maserati Distributor for the western half of the US for over 25 years. When Citroen was absorbed by Peugeot, he told them to FO after one year.

He said he never, ever met a more pig-headed, stupid group of individuals, who when they knew they had a problem (electrical fires on Peugeots 505's, which destroyed the cars), refused to change one part of its Mickey Mouse electrical system.

It's no wonder former owners of Peugeots call 'em Puked's!

A TERD of a car foisted on the un-suspecting US car buyer, who finally caught on by the late 1980's.
__________________
Bill / Retired Ford Parts Manager / Part number research: 1928/2001 trucks & 1928/89 passenger cars.

2013 Escape FWD 2.0L Eco-Boost
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008, 02:02 PM
02Taco 02Taco is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 140
02Taco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
Consumer Reports only tested one Titan, a 2004 model.

All their subsequent year reviews, including 2008 have read exactly the same: Loud exhaust, poor brakes, yadda yadda yadda.

What was wrong with the brakes, had to do with "brake judder," nothing else.

All the brake issues were resolved by midyear 2005, Nissan replaced the front rotors and pads with a new design, and extended the brake warranty to 5/60,000 for all 2004/2005's whether they were affected or not.

There was never a recall, in fact the only recall I'm aware of that Titan's had, was for a wiring clip that needed to be replaced for the 2006 CC's left rear door power window motor wiring harness.

Why didn't the Titan sell? Lack of advertising on Renault's part is the answer.

For every Titan ad, GM had 100!

Several months ago, Carlos Ghosn, CEO of Renault-Nissan, in an interview he gave to Automotive News, announced that Titans, Armada's and Infiniti QX56's were to be discontinued after 2008.

When I read that, I knew that once the word got around, the trio's resale value would drop to nothing, because...no one wants to get stuck with an orphan.

Renault owns 33% of Nissan, which by Japanese standards, gives Renault a controlling interest.

It's a fact. The frogs have never been successful selling trucks (and all of their made in France cars) in the US market, they don't understand the US market, and never have.

There have been no French vehicles sold in the US since Peugeot left the US market in the early 1990's.

My dad was the Citroen-Maserati Distributor for the western half of the US for over 25 years. When Citroen was absorbed by Peugeot, he told them to FO after one year.

He said he never, ever met a more pig-headed, stupid group of individuals, who when they knew they had a problem (electrical fires on Peugeots 505's, which destroyed the cars), refused to change one part of its Mickey Mouse electrical system.

It's no wonder former owners of Peugeots call 'em Puked's!

A TERD of a car foisted on the un-suspecting US car buyer, who finally caught on by the late 1980's.
yeah i read that consumer report too. When i saw loud exhaust as a negitive mark i started busting up laughing .
__________________
2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport - All Stock

2002 Tacoma TRD 4x4 - 2.0 SAW coilovers, Camburg UCAs, 5125s in the rear, TRD headers, TRD Exhaust, BFG ATs, Grey Wire Mod, 2 Low Mod, and more to come.

1988 Honda CRX - B18b swap, Intake, Intake Manifold, Headers, Exhaust, 8lb flywheel, and more to come.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008, 02:29 PM
naplesbill naplesbill is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 51
naplesbill is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, there were at least 5 recalls:

Nissan Titan Recall Information - Nissan Recalls & Problems
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup