Oil & Lubrication  

Who actually uses Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:38 PM
azfordf100man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you liking the RP so far, does it run the same?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:32 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
[QUOTE=azfordf100man;6127015]
Originally Posted by Ed

Please note: Max ATF is not recommended or an approved warranty replacement for: Ford Type F, Ford Mercon SP, Ford Mercon LV, GM Dexron VI, Mercedes Benz NAG-2, Toyota WS, Volvo 5 speed. Max ATF is not recommended for use in any CVT

I was looking around online to night after. Ok you can laugh at me all you want but I was all ways told to use Type F in my C6, then I found out to night that TF is for c4s.
Don't I feell dumb..
Then I read this.

"Type F -- Introduced by Ford in 1967 for their automatics. Also used by Toyota.
Type CJ -- Special fluid for Ford C6 transmissions. Similar to Dexron II. Must not be used in automatics that require Type F. Can be replaced with Mercon or Mercon V.
Type H -- Another limited Ford spec that differs from both Dexron and Type F. Can be replaced with Mercon or Mercon V"

Mercon or Mercon V really!! then I hoped over to RPs website and looking at their charts and I quote

"Max ATF is recommended in vehicles requiring any of these automatic transmission fluids:
Allison C-4 KIA SP-II & SP-III
Allison TES-295 MAN 339F
Audi G-052-025-A2 Mercedes Benz 236.x
BMW LA2634 Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II
BMW LT71141 Mitsubishi Diamond SP-III
Chrysler ATF+, ATF+2 Nissan Matic-D
Chrysler ATF+2 Type 7176 Nissan Matic-J
Chrysler ATF+3 Nissan Matic-K
Chrysler ATF+4 Toyota Type-T

((Ford Mercon Toyota Type T-III))
((Ford Mercon V Toyota Type-IV))

So! correct me if I'm wrong. But if I am reading this right! the mighty C6 uses CJ fluid but can be replaced with mercon/Mer V And if max ATF is computable with both Mer/MerV and CJ is replaceable with Mer/merV then in theory I can use max atf in my C6..
So ED I'm sorry I doubted you bro.
I'm not trying to say any ones wrong Even if you have used it and said it slipped and whacked out my c6 then I believe you. But their web site says that it can be used in any tranny that can run Mer/MerV..

Hers the sites that i've been reading Automatic Transmission Fluid
Royal Purple Transmission Fluid

Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No biggie, but I appreciate your reply. Actually the truth of the matter might be somewhere in between. I was under the impression that the C-6 trans could use the Max ATF fluid, even where the old Type-F fluid was specified originally. The only difference was the 1-2 shift was a bit slower with the RP Max ATF, but it was not doing any harm to the transmission, and, in fact, was might better at keeping the trans fluid from coking or burning during high heat conditions (towing, on hills, on a hot summer afternoon for example, a transmission's worse nightmare).

Nomad you said:

So! correct me if I'm wrong. But if I am reading this right! the mighty C6 uses CJ fluid but can be replaced with mercon/Mer V And if max ATF is computable with both Mer/MerV and CJ is replaceable with Mer/merV then in theory I can use max atf in my C6----------------------------------------------
I base my original post on that premise as well. The stud puller, Chevy Turbo350 a$$-kicker Ford C-6 trans originally specified for Type CJ fluid, I'd use Royal Purple MAX-ATF. However, if it's an original Type-F trans fluid application, I stand corrected and it probably should not be used.

Ed

Old 05-25-2008, 10:57 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ed
No biggie, but I appreciate your reply. Actually the truth of the matter might be somewhere in between. I was under the impression that the C-6 trans could use the Max ATF fluid, even where the old Type-F fluid was specified originally. The only difference was the 1-2 shift was a bit slower with the RP Max ATF, but it was not doing any harm to the transmission, and, in fact, was might better at keeping the trans fluid from coking or burning during high heat conditions (towing, on hills, on a hot summer afternoon for example, a transmission's worse nightmare).

Nomad you said:

So! correct me if I'm wrong. But if I am reading this right! the mighty C6 uses CJ fluid but can be replaced with mercon/Mer V And if max ATF is computable with both Mer/MerV and CJ is replaceable with Mer/merV then in theory I can use max atf in my C6----------------------------------------------
I base my original post on that premise as well. The stud puller, Chevy Turbo350 a$$-kicker Ford C-6 trans originally specified for Type CJ fluid, I'd use Royal Purple MAX-ATF. However, if it's an original Type-F trans fluid application, I stand corrected and it probably should not be used.

Ed
How do I know if its a TF Original or CJ?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Usually it will say on the dipstick what fluid it uses. However, I wouldn't trust that, your best bet would be to crawl under the truck, get a bright light or bright flashlight, and copy the serial number down for your STUD Ford C-6 transmission. The serial number will easily tell you what you have, and what was the original type of fluid it was built for.

That's assuming it's stock and no modifications have been made, prior to you owning it, Nomad. But get that serial number and any numbers that may be on the casing / plate and that is key.

Here is some more on various ATF's also. Good luck... Ed
--------------------
TRANSMISSION FLUIDS

Over the years, there have been a confusing array of different ATF types and specifications. Make sure the replacement fluid meets or exceeds all OEM requirements. Using the wrong type of fluid may cause transmission problems and damage.

Type F -- Introduced by Ford in 1967 for their automatics. Also used by Toyota.

Type CJ -- Special fluid for Ford C6 transmissions. Similar to Dexron II. Must not be used in automatics that require Type F. Can be replaced with Mercon or Mercon V.

Type H -- Another limited Ford spec that differs from both Dexron and Type F. Can be replaced with Mercon or Mercon V.

Mercon -- Ford fluid introduced in 1987, very similar to Dexron II. Okay for all earlier Fords except those that require Type F. As of July 1, 2007, the production and licensing of Mercon ATF by Ford ends. Ford says applications that require Mercon ATF can now be serviced with Mercon V.

Mercon V -- Ford's newest type, introduced in 1997 for Ranger, Explorer V6 and Aerostar, and 1998 & up Windstar, Taurus/Sable and Continental. This is the current ATF for all late model Ford products.

Dexron -- General Motors original ATF for automatics.

Dexron II -- Improved GM formula with better viscosity control and additional oxidation inhibitors. Can be used in place of Dexron.

Dexron IIE -- GM fluid for electronic transmissions.

Dexron III -- Replaces Dexron IIE and adds improved oxidation and corrosion control in GM electronic automatics.

Dexron III (H) -- Improved version of Dexron III released in 2003.

Dexron III/Saturn -- A special fluid spec for Saturns.

Dexron-VI -- For 2006 GM Hydra-Matic 6L80 6-speed rear-wheel-drive transmissions, can also be used in 2005 transmissions that require Dexron III but is NOT recommended for older transmissions or Saturn VUE transmissions.

Chrysler 7176 -- For Chrysler FWD transaxles
-------------------------------------------------------------
Check this out, AWESOME!: C4 C6 Performance Transmission from PATC, C6 Transmission

C4 C6 Performance Transmission from PATC, C6 Transmission

Old 05-27-2008, 01:04 AM
TheNomad
Elder User
Ya those are awesome. I'd love to get one but I have to get this engine issue fixed first.
Thanks Ed for your help

Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Well I looked in to it and this c6 calls for CJ =) so RP oil change here I come

Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 PM
azfordf100man
Elder User
Originally Posted by TheNomad
Well I looked in to it and this c6 calls for CJ =) so RP oil change here I come

Awesome. The rp is good stuff.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:51 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
F-100 S/C with a 390 wow I bet that's a ball to drive..

Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 PM
azfordf100man
Elder User
Originally Posted by TheNomad
F-100 S/C with a 390 wow I bet that's a ball to drive..
Yeah, I love driving it when I'm not working on it

All that's wrong with it right now is some carb issues. Haven't been able to do anything with it lately, but absolutely love the truck.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
I know how that feels I've been fighting the carb demons since I got my truck.. Its turning out to be quite the little hydra. I lop off one head and two more grow, kinda makes you want to get a EFI.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Carb Tech Tip

AZ when you mntioned about having a carb issue, it reminded me of a recent Ford truck owner I talked to a few years ago at an All-Ford car - truck Show.

He too, had mentioned he could never get the carb to perform as he wanted, especially here in hot NoCal, in the Sacramento valley during the summer. When you'd think the warm weather would actually be better on a carb engine, as compared to say, cold, wet, damp weather...

Long story short: The owner installed one of those heat shields or a plate, that seperates the carb from the manifold. Said that made all the difference in the world, cured slight hesitation upon accelerating, heat soak issues, when he'd shut the truck off for 5 minutes and then try and start it again.

I am not trying to imply that is your issue, but if you're in a hot summer state, you might want to consider one of those heat shields / plates as I described. They don't cost much, and they serve a useful purpose on any carburetor equipped older engine.

Ed

Old 05-29-2008, 06:13 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed
AZ when you mntioned about having a carb issue, it reminded me of a recent Ford truck owner I talked to a few years ago at an All-Ford car - truck Show.

He too, had mentioned he could never get the carb to perform as he wanted, especially here in hot NoCal, in the Sacramento valley during the summer. When you'd think the warm weather would actually be better on a carb engine, as compared to say, cold, wet, damp weather...

Long story short: The owner installed one of those heat shields or a plate, that seperates the carb from the manifold. Said that made all the difference in the world, cured slight hesitation upon accelerating, heat soak issues, when he'd shut the truck off for 5 minutes and then try and start it again.

I am not trying to imply that is your issue, but if you're in a hot summer state, you might want to consider one of those heat shields / plates as I described. They don't cost much, and they serve a useful purpose on any carburetor equipped older engine.

Ed
I agree with the heat shield idea. I've seen carbs get so dang hot that the fuel in the float bowl would percolate. Vapor lock wasn't uncommon either.

All that heat isn't good for the carbs plastic & rubber parts, seals & gasket materials either!!!!

Thinking of older engines also reminds me that we need to be sure the synthetic lube we choose, is compatable with the seal materials in those older engines!!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 PM
geraldo14
Senior User
RP Post

I'm glad someone asked this question about RP. I have an 02 F250 4X4 with the Triton V10 with 41K miles. I was wondering if I should use Mobile 1 synthetic oil with the Mobile M-210 oil filter or go with 5W-20W RP. Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Originally Posted by geraldo14
I'm glad someone asked this question about RP. I have an 02 F250 4X4 with the Triton V10 with 41K miles. I was wondering if I should use Mobile 1 synthetic oil with the Mobile M-210 oil filter or go with 5W-20W RP. Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Well there is a lot of Opinions on Oil lots of them.
As for oil filters I've all ways heard mobile makes good to great filters,
there is tons of threads with some very heavy conversations about Filters and it seems that Wix gold Motorcaft and mobile are the highest rankers from what I've seen. But I haven't personally seen any actual test results my self or cut open a filter so maybe some on can offer up a link and as all ways Fram's are known to suck on a epic biblical scale..
As for Oil Mobile makes some of the best Oil around again have not seen any test's on Mobile Vs any other brand except against RP and RP kicked it's butt.
I have seen many many test done on Royal P Magazines University's, Labs, Tv shows for what those test are worth and even live test using bearings.
RP is known for a fact to be some of if not the best Oil made Period. Few pages back I give a link to a youtube video of Royal P being tested to its melting point.
Honestly I think you would be in safe hands using Mobile1, I've used it for years in my trucks then after reading tons of post and watching and reading test I tried RP and well I saw heard and felt a difference and as long I have some thing with wheels or I am able to drive I will all ways use RP.
The only down side to RP is being very pricey other then that you can't really beat it. Thats my 1/2 cents

Quick Reply: Who actually uses Royal Purple?