1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my sct xcal 3 sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
brian97cobra
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
I would re-download the latest (1.1.131) and try again. It looks as if you got some corrupt code in your download.

they do not offer the older firmware on their website anymore. just 1.1.131 but its a no go on my sct tuner. it will down load it all the way and then come up on the sct screen with the error code

invalid block
1ead id

it does this with the vista machine

with the XP it does not do that but it still would not turn on when i plugged it in to the computer again or the truck.

ive tried to install the tuner rev file with no luck.

just frustration.....

buyer beware of the SCT xcal 3.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:53 PM
redford
Received 1,595 Likes on 933 Posts
Is your cigarette lighter working in your truck?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:07 PM
brian97cobra
Junior User
yes it works...

i just got off the phone with sct. they said it sounds like a card or some chip fell out or something to that nature. long story short. ive got to send it in.

on top of that now the outer part of the plastic plug broke off last night. its a thin piece of plastic never seen one do that before. (on the sct cable that plugs into the obd II port)

i think i got the runt of the liter sct xcal 3.

ill keep everyone posted

i guess to give people an idea as to what was going on. i was having an issue with the truck when the performace tune was in it or whenever the custom tunes were installed. the truck under full boost would cut in and out. when i ran the 65 hp or 50hp tow tune it would not do this. it also worked fine when stock.

sct said to try and update the firmware and tune revisions. i tried to do this and the unit ceased to work anymore.

now after all this im still gonna be possibly dealing with this boost cutting in and out at full boost.....

also to top this off my custom tunes were lost when the home computer crashed. ive been trying to get them from matt @ spartin diesel for 2 months now. ive also told him of this boost problem with his tunes and scts but no fix yet.

i dont want yall to think im mad at matt. i dont think this is his fault. however the communications i have got from him went from great to very poor. im not sure why the issue but id just like to get what i paid for.

truck only has 50k on it. the egr and tubro are new. the icp sensor is testing good in the ids(ford scanner with the factory tune in the truck)

so im at a loss.....

Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
See if you can return your X3 and get an Xcal 2 or SF tuner.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
See if you can return your X3 and get an Xcal 2 or SF tuner.
I agree..Xcal2's are an excellent tool,and they actually work.
I've been telling everybody that asks about the Livewire and Xcal3's not to buy them,but the "bling" factor almost always wins,and they end up miserable with one of those piles of doo-doo. The bad thing...the dealers are really taking a beating on this becuase SCT can't get all of the advertised functions to work,so how are they supposed to get it to work? They can't, so the customers usually suffer, and in return, so does the dealer with the hard feelings and bad publicity.
JL

Old 04-15-2008, 03:19 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
I agree..Xcal2's are an excellent tool,and they actually work.
I've been telling everybody that asks about the Livewire and Xcal3's not to buy them,but the "bling" factor almost always wins,and they end up miserable with one of those piles of doo-doo. The bad thing...the dealers are really taking a beating on this becuase SCT can't get all of the advertised functions to work,so how are they supposed to get it to work? They can't, so the customers usually suffer, and in return, so does the dealer with the hard feelings and bad publicity.
JL
Its a shame. I always say "Just because its new, doesn't mean its better".

Old 04-15-2008, 03:21 PM
MeyerzF350
Senior User
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
JL
Then they will fill BK leaving us all in the dust and start a new company.......

Old 04-15-2008, 03:28 PM
brian97cobra
Junior User
well i feel a little better now. i think most of the venting is over with. man i just hope it works when i get it back. im not going to have high expatitions because i do not want to be let down again

Old 04-15-2008, 03:29 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
I think its been explained on the FTE forums (countless times) that tuners/chips cannot adjust speedometers on Superduty Ford trucks.
My Hypertech adjust up to 34" tires and my speedometer is correct, i'm running 35's (34.6" actual new). Still wish I new about DP when I bought it.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:37 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The X3s have problems, but so did the X2s for a long time. Matter of fact I just got done RMA'ing one for a customer due to the old "-250 Changes Left" bug. SCT has a history of bugs with their hardware (and software).

Old 04-15-2008, 03:39 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rugermack
My Hypertech adjust up to 34" tires and my speedometer is correct, i'm running 35's (34.6" actual new). Still wish I new about DP when I bought it.
Go verify it against GPS and you're going to be disappointed. Changing the axle and tiring info in the ROM has no impact on the speedometer because the speedo gets its reading directly, not through the PCM. Unless Hypertech has a different way of addressing it... it's not happening.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:47 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
Go verify it against GPS and you're going to be disappointed. Changing the axle and tiring info in the ROM has no impact on the speedometer because the speedo gets its reading directly, not through the PCM.
I had it verified at speedo shop here in town and its correct. Odometer and speedometer. Evertime I go past a road construction site the sheriff's dept. speed sensor by the side of the road says so also. They can't all be wrong. My speedo is right with the Hypertech. The speedo shop used a dyno.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:03 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
The highway in the area I live in is used for trafficing illegals and drugs, a highway patrol man pulled me over so he could look in my vehicle. I asked him why and he said I was speeding, I told him he was full of it and aksed to see the radar detector, he said he paced me. Since I disagreed with him he wrote me a ticket. He tried to blame it on my "big tires". I took truck to speedo shop and had it verified. Ticket was throw out of court and judge told patrolman not to waste his time with bull**** anymore. And of course I used my GPS to check it before I bought the Hypertech. In case your wondering this would be the whole story, and how I know its correct. Of course a Hypertech will only go up to 34" on a 2000, and that's all the dealer could do also. The dealer wanted $85 bucks, so I put that towards the Hypertech.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its right with the Hypertech because those "joes" don't have an issue tampering with the ABS. The Speedometer reading is managed by the vehicles ABS Module. SCT will NEVER touch the ABS Module. Theres too many risks with evading that block and modifying parameters. If so much as a bit level gets corrupted, you could have a blown out ABS system when you need it the most, or premature lock up.

Now with that said. I would not feel comfortable with any tuner that can go in and modify the ABS system. I'll stick with my mph being off by 5. Thats no big deal. The only safe way to do it is using a TruSpeed which splices into the ABS lines. The likely hood of ABS failure in that method is FAR less than a device that rewrites the ABS Module.

The Tire/Rev option in the SCT has to do with the shift points of the 5R110. With its electronic controlled shifting, if the Rev's aren't set properly, you will get erratic shifting behaviors that triple with larger tires.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:08 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Storm
Its right with the Hypertech because those "joes" don't have an issue tampering with the ABS. The Speedometer reading is managed by the vehicles ABS Module. SCT will NEVER touch the ABS Module. Theres too many risks with evading that block and modifying parameters. If so much as a bit level gets corrupted, you could have a blown out ABS system when you need it the most, or premature lock up.

Now with that said. I would not feel comfortable with any tuner that can go in and modify the ABS system. I'll stick with my mph being off by 5. Thats no big deal. The only safe way to do it is using a TruSpeed which splices into the ABS lines. The likely hood of ABS failure in that method is FAR less than a device that rewrites the ABS Module.

The Tire/Rev option in the SCT has to do with the shift points of the 5R110. With its electronic controlled shifting, if the Rev's aren't set properly, you will get erratic shifting behaviors that triple with larger tires.
Well, that makes sense, Hypertech must have figured it out because mine is right. So, that means the dealer was going to flash the ABS module ? for $85.

Quick Reply: my sct xcal 3 sucks!