Oil Leak/low press. after timing chain install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 08:00 AM
Old_Blue
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
This is a partial repost. I had brought my 79 F150 w/302 into a garage for a timing chain replacement. Before I brought it to them, there was not an oil leak and the oil pressure was always in the normal range (quite steady). While driving it home from the garage, I noticed that after it warmed up the oil pressure dropped below the normal range, and after I parked it there was a puddle of oil on the ground about 5 to 6 inches in diameter. The size of the puddle seamed to stay the same but now I have noticed several streams of oil in my street that lead right to my parking spot. It seems to be loosing about a quart per 200 miles. Now I am about to bring it back to the garage tomorrow and see what is up. Any suggestions so I dont sound like a whining fool? (I have put on a mechanical gauge to make sure the old gauge wasnt fooling me)

Old 05-13-2002, 09:01 AM
sauerf100s
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you determined if the oil is coming from the front or rear of the engine? If it's the front, I don't have a clue. If it's coming from the rear, they could have done a no-no and pounded on your cam gear with a hammer. This could loosen the big freeze-plug looking thing on the back of your block (for lack of knowing what it's called). If oil is getting past this, it could explain both your leak and your lower oil pressure. I've never actually seen this happen, but I've heard about it. It seems like this would go through oil quicker though. Maybe somebody else has a better idea.

Old 05-13-2002, 10:28 AM
Old_Blue
New User

The oil is coming from the rear of the engine. I took off the dust cover on the bottom of bell housing and the flywheel looks dry. I have had it up on ramps and ran it, the oil is NOT coming from the manifold or the valve covers. It seems to be coming from the rear of the oil pan, right at the top.
Thanks.

Old 05-15-2002, 11:44 PM
proford460
Senior User

replace pan gasket with the new carrier style look in pan for debris blocking oil pick up screen

Old 05-16-2002, 02:19 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts

They probably disturbed the oil pan gasket when they took the front timing cover off. Some guys say they can get the front cover off without lowering the pan a little, but I can never get it off without lowering the pan. When you take the front cover off, you actually have to cut the oil pan gasket in two up front, and they give you short little pieces to glue back in when you put the front cover back on.

They also probably disturbed the oil sending unit for the oil guage. It mounts down low up front on the drivers side and they either messed the wire up, or maybe a small piece of crud got stirred up in the oil and got itself lodged in the small orfice in the sending unit itself.

Old 05-16-2002, 05:26 PM
Bronco2Mudder
Freshman User

>They probably disturbed the oil pan gasket when they took
>the front timing cover off.

I agree completely!

>They also probably disturbed the oil sending unit for the
>oil guage. It mounts down low up front on the drivers side
>and they either messed the wire up, or maybe a small piece
>of crud got stirred up in the oil and got itself lodged in
>the small orfice in the sending unit itself.

They could have also let too much old gasket material into the oilpan when they cleaned it. That could be clogging the screen on the pickup tube. I would check the sender first like mentioned.

I would most definately get back to that shop and raise a little hell!

Chris

Old 05-20-2002, 05:22 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I dunno, but the only engine I can think of that forces you to drop the pan to get the timing cover off is a friggin' Chevy. I've had many a cover off of a small block Ford and never had to drop the pan. I don't have a clue why you would have to. The cover bolts flush with the top of the oil pan rail and the front of the block. It should pop off once you break the seal. You DO have to replace the oil pan gasket tabs under the cover, though. Chevrolet timing covers have a flange that wraps down into the pan preventing you from pulling it off the crank snout.

Old 05-22-2002, 12:13 PM
bjoern
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my timing cover off just a few weeks ago. I didn't have to lower the oilpan either. I agree with the notion that there's debris clogging your oil pick-up screen. I had a really hard time keeping stuff from falling into the oilpan! I changed my oil as soon as the job was done. I'd ask them to drop the oilpan, replace the gasket and clean the pick-up screen.

Old 05-23-2002, 07:12 PM
Bronco894x4
Senior User

Just a question. Do you use engine flush when you change your oil? If you do, I'd recommend that you stop! When you use this, all of the sludge that is removed from the engine goes into the oil pan. What doesn't drain out with the oil change gets trapped and will build up in the oil pan and clog your pick-up screen. If the oil looks like it is coming from the back of the oil pan, reach up and see if any of your oil pan bolts are loose. Mine have loosened up before. I check these things every time I go under my Bronco.
Bronco894x4

Old 05-29-2002, 07:42 PM
Old_Blue
New User

Well, the shop said it was my oilpan gasket and my valve cover gaskets leaking. I didnt think that was it but took it home and replaced both. The leak is still there. I also cleaned out the pan and screen on the pickup tube, there was no debris in there. I am thinking the mechanic drove the top gear on with a hammer and partially knocked out the camshaft soft plug. Anyway...

Old 05-29-2002, 09:16 PM
scott9320
Senior User