Sponsored by: DP Tuner

well my up-pipes are ordered

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:22 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well my up-pipes are ordered

im gonna takle my up-pipes here one of these days. i just ordered them today, im going to pick them up in seattle at an IH dealer. making a trip to the Seattle in three weeks so i figured i would pick the pipes up there, i priced them out here where i live in BC and they sure like to rape you here. anyways i am looking forward to trying this out and am going to follow guzzles write up on how to do it, i have read it over numerous times and i feel i can do it, but just wanted to know if there is anything i need to know or a write up about re+re the turbo. is that a straight froward job? i am going to change out the orings too while i am there.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 PM
TN97STROKE
Senior User
Just did mine this pass weekend..........My only advice is don't try to get the bolts off the y-pipe. After I got the turbo and pedestal out of the way i used a saws-all and cut the up-pipes just below the y-pipe. (cover the intake manifolds and oil holes so metal chips get in). I will tell you the hardest part is the v clamp on the y-pipe to turbo (getting it OFF and getting it ON)

Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 PM
99 7.3 towrig
Senior User
watch the y-pipe bolts, I tried taking them out once to weld a bung in one of the up pipes and i ended up shearing off both bolts in the bottom of the y-pipe. ended up having to remove the y-pipe with pass up-pipe still bolted on and drilling/ tapping new holes. I hate exhaust bolts, their always rusted and shear very easy, I gave them a good coating of copper anti-seize when i reassembled.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
Originally Posted by TN97STROKE
Just did mine this pass weekend..........My only advice is don't try to get the bolts off the y-pipe. After I got the turbo and pedestal out of the way i used a saws-all and cut the up-pipes just below the y-pipe. (cover the intake manifolds and oil holes so metal chips get in). I will tell you the hardest part is the v clamp on the y-pipe to turbo (getting it OFF and getting it ON)

i understand to cover the intake and oil holes, but what about any shavings that fall down the up pipe tube and will sit in the bottom of the exhaust maifold, wont the shavings get into the turbo by coming up the pipes? sorry if this is a stupid question but i am not sure how all the turbo and air flow ducts work in relation to eachother. cause cutting the pipes out seem like a faster way to do things. and also how did the bolts come out on the maifold, were they stubborn?

Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
Originally Posted by 99 7.3 towrig
watch the y-pipe bolts, I tried taking them out once to weld a bung in one of the up pipes and i ended up shearing off both bolts in the bottom of the y-pipe. ended up having to remove the y-pipe with pass up-pipe still bolted on and drilling/ tapping new holes. I hate exhaust bolts, their always rusted and shear very easy, I gave them a good coating of copper anti-seize when i reassembled.

thanks for the info

Old 04-09-2008, 06:24 AM
TN97STROKE
Senior User
No questions are stupid questions.... after you cut the pipes off you are going to remove what is left of the old pipes ant the exhaust manifolds. the up-pipes make a small up turn at the manifolds... I had no problems wit shavings. As for the bolts at the manifolds I was hoping my would break but they came off with no problem. the new kit comes with all new bolts and everything you need new so don't bother and try to save anything. The only time you will need a extra hand is when you need to tighten down the flange bolt on the new y-pipe on the pass side the back bolt, you will need alot of extentions and a wobble joint someone under the truck to operate the rachet and someone up top to hold the wobble on the bolt.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:16 AM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
I got to my passenger side y-pipe bolts with a small 1/4 inch ratchet and a short 10mm socket from the top of the engine. I broke the bolts loose using a small breaker bar that I slipped over the ratchet handle. The front bolt is easy to get out with the 1/4 inch ratchet. The rear bolt is more difficult, as you can only make 1/4 turns beause of space consraints. I went under the truck and used (2) 10 inch extensions, (1) 2 inch extension, a wobble and a 3/8 ratchet to back the bolt out. Make sure to spray (liberally) all the bolts/nuts down a day or two before and during the removal process with PB Blaster/WD-40.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 AM
uliman
Senior User
I, too, will replace my up-pipes but I am going to install a new turbo (Turbonetics), non-EBV pedestal, 4" downpipe (complete with exhaust system) all at the same time. I really only want to crawl on top of the engine just the one time.

My question: since I am not reusing any of the stock parts that I am removing, would it not be easier to cut the up-pipes at a convenient spot and remove the y-connector piece along with the two cut pipes and then work on loosening the bolts holding the pipes onto the exhaust manifold?

Seems there would be lots more room once the y-connector piece and at least a portion of the up-pipes have been removed. What do you all think? I hope I am not hijacking the thread but i mean to give the OP maybe an idea to cut his also since he is ordering the up-pipe kit which I believe has a new y-connector piece also.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:02 AM
TN97STROKE
Senior User
Originally Posted by uliman
I, too, will replace my up-pipes but I am going to install a new turbo (Turbonetics), non-EBV pedestal, 4" downpipe (complete with exhaust system) all at the same time. I really only want to crawl on top of the engine just the one time.

My question: since I am not reusing any of the stock parts that I am removing, would it not be easier to cut the up-pipes at a convenient spot and remove the y-connector piece along with the two cut pipes and then work on loosening the bolts holding the pipes onto the exhaust manifold?

Seems there would be lots more room once the y-connector piece and at least a portion of the up-pipes have been removed. What do you all think? I hope I am not hijacking the thread but i mean to give the OP maybe an idea to cut his also since he is ordering the up-pipe kit which I believe has a new y-connector piece also.

Look at post #2 I cut mine.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 AM
uliman
Senior User
Originally Posted by TN97STROKE

thanks TN97STROKE; how difficult was it to get a sawzall in there to make the cuts? also, what advice can you offer to make the removal of the v-clamp any easier or is this a PITA I will have to deal with?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:20 AM
TN97STROKE
Senior User
I can tell you that the v-clamp on the back of the turbo is the worst part of the job. I had the bolts at the bottom of the up-pipes in loose and could not get the y-pipe tomove enough to get it to line up and get the v-clamp on so i just removed the nuts and left the bolts in, and got it to work. As for a PITA (it is a very big PITA!!!) you will have room for about 2 fingers over the top of the turbo and room for about one hand with cuts around the driver's side of turbo. As for cutting the pipes.....with the turbo and the pedistal gone it was very easy to cut....I had the y-pipe off and in the floor in no time. hope this helps.