Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Freshman User

moosed is starting off with a positive reputation.
Test for bad ball joints?

Hello all,

Any Excursion or truck specific way to check for bad ball joints? I have been having this knock at stop and start for a few weeks, that feels like it's coming from the driver front. Jacked up the truck and try to move the front tire it doesn't move, OK not the ball joints. I figured it was the front sway bar bushing or maybe the Driveshft/Slip Yolk needing grease as mentioned on this GREAT site. Bushing looks OK, so its the grease that's needed, feeling better already.

Brought the Excursion into a new to me independant station(he did come highly recommended by a neighbor) to check the knock. I mention that I don't think it's the ball joints or the sway bar bushing but might be the Drive shaft/Slip Yolk needing to be greased. He calls and he memtions that I need upper/lower ball joints on the passenger side, that they are about to fall off and he will show me how to test for bad ball joints, my way wasn't correct.

Truck does have close to 80000 miles so it might be due but how does one tell on this truck?

Thanks.

Tony
Old 04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Post Fiend

i eat hybrids has a very good reputation on FTE.i eat hybrids has a very good reputation on FTE.i eat hybrids has a very good reputation on FTE.
A test for bad ball joints is squeaking. Mine squeak like crazy when ever i steer, especially when the truck isnt rollin.

2006 F150 Ext cab black (traded in on F350)

2001 Ford Excursion, 4x2, 6.8L V-10, 4" lift, 33" BFG A/T (Totaled, May 2009 RIP)
Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Freshman User

I did go to the shop and yep, the passenger side ball joints are bad, he used he same test(just jack up the tire and try to rock the tire up/down ). Just found it strange that I felt the knock on the drivers side and never even thought of checking the passenger side.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Posting Guru

PROSTOCK is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tony, you didn't mention if you X was 2 or 4 WD but my 02 2wd needed then at 90K, I would think that a 4wd might need them sooner...I'd think that you probably do to.

'02 Excursion Limited V10 2WD
Bilsteins, Tekonsha P3, 4.30 gear
Old 04-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Freshman User

It is a 2003 4x4 V10 Limited. I hope to have it back sometime today and boy these things are pricey!

Getting it ready for the camping/dog show season and making sure that everything is in tip-top shape.

New shocks/front steering stablizer/tires/SilverStars within the last 5000 miles, had a transmission flush just done. Installed a Hellwig rear sway bar, and RAS this past weekend and now ball joints. Hope that's it for a long while.

Tony
Old 04-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Senior User

ocboat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How much should I expect to pay to have a shop replace ball joints on an X?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Senior User

kappysworld is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocboat View Post
How much should I expect to pay to have a shop replace ball joints on an X?

I was just quotes 5.9 hours acording to the book for a 4x4. I got the MOOG ones from Rock Auto.

I took advantage of having my gears changed and had them press in new ball joints since they had the axels out anyway.
- Rear Hellwig, Ride Rite Air Suspension
- Procomp 6 inch lift, double shock front loop,
- 315*75*16 BFG AT's

2000 F350 Crew Cab 7.3
- AFE intake
- AFE Monster Exhaust
- Procomp 4 inch lift, double shock front loop,
- 315*75*16 BFG AT's
Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Post Fiend

i eat hybrids has a very good reputation on FTE.i eat hybrids has a very good reputation on FTE.i eat hybrids has a very good reputation on FTE.
Moog greaseables is deff the way to go for ball joints!

2001 Ford Excursion, 4x2, 6.8L V-10, 4" lift, 33" BFG A/T (Totaled, May 2009 RIP)
Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Freshman User

Parts and labor came to alittle over $900.00 for both sides upper/lower and the Moog greaseables were used. The labor charge was pretty steep, but the truck really rides great (could be the Hellwig and RAS which was done over the weekend), no clunk and I feel real good going into towing season.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Post Fiend

Where did u have them switched out at?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Elder User

SIZMDRS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SIZMDRS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosed View Post
It is a 2003 4x4 V10 Limited. I hope to have it back sometime today and boy these things are pricey!

Getting it ready for the camping/dog show season and making sure that everything is in tip-top shape.

New shocks/front steering stablizer/tires/SilverStars within the last 5000 miles, had a transmission flush just done. Installed a Hellwig rear sway bar, and RAS this past weekend and now ball joints. Hope that's it for a long while.

Tony
check the u joints as well.... I just did ball joints, U joints and front steering stablizer. I also show dogs and my fear is being on the road loaded with the pups and something happening..... Leaving for Ga tomorrow, hope the truck is tight!!!

Beth

Beth
2000 7.3 with lots of stuff!!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Elder User

SIZMDRS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SIZMDRS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Forget to say balljoints 760.00 parts and labor

Beth

Beth
2000 7.3 with lots of stuff!!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Posting Guru

PROSTOCK is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappysworld View Post
I was just quotes 5.9 hours acording to the book for a 4x4. I got the MOOG ones from Rock Auto.

I took advantage of having my gears changed and had them press in new ball joints since they had the axels out anyway.
5.9 hours?! WOW! I did my own in about 3 hrs and had never seen the front end of a super duty before.

'02 Excursion Limited V10 2WD
Bilsteins, Tekonsha P3, 4.30 gear
Old 04-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Senior User

betontheturtle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
hey I keep hearing about the drive yoke needing grease but I can't find it or a zerk on the drive line anywhere. 2001 psd ex ??? HELP!

Never mind found the answer in another forum, good stuff but hey Ford why no zerk?

Last edited by betontheturtle; 04-10-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: found the answer
Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Freshman User

n3qdz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ball joints to have all replaced is about 1k I just had mine done in mine
Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
2005, bad, ball, check, checking, crappy, excursion, f250, ford, joint, joints, test, testing, truck, upper