Newbie w/ 4.6 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Mark W. Ingalls
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie w/ 4.6 questions

All--

First post, having lurked for some months now...

I have a 1998 F150 XLT 4x4 with 193k miles. It has a pop-up camper installed full-time, in addition to which it pulls the occasional trailer.

When I bought the truck @ 170k miles, I noted it used about a quart every thousand miles, but with no leaks anywhere. Recently, I noticed the dreaded moisture under the filler cap and an increase in oil consumption to 1 qt per 700 miles.

My mechanic says, "There's a little bit of oil in the water and a little bit of water in the oil."

I like the truck, always have liked that particular year.
  • My mechanic will replace the 4.6L engine with a re-manufactured one (3 year, 50k mile warranty) for <$3,500.
  • He will install a used engine for ~$1,500 labor, plus engine (no warranty).
  • There are evidently different 4.6L engines out there.
Questions:
  • Worth fixin'?
  • If so, go with new engine|warranty or gamble on old engine?
  • When swapping out entire engine, does it make a difference which (4.6L) one goes back in? If so, why?
  • What is a "PI head?"
  • Are prices in line?
Thanks in advance for your gracious replies.

Last edited by Mark W. Ingalls; 04-07-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: detail
Old 04-07-2008, 04:51 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1qt per 1K miles and some moisture under the fill cap means the engine is normal. From what you have listed it sounds like the mechanic is full of it and trying to replace a perfectly fine engine.

As for the questions:

1.Doesn't appear to need to be fixed.

2.If you have the money a new engine is the way to go.

3.Yes you have to replace the 4.6L with the same version, either Romeo or Windsor there are far too many little things to list why but they are vastly different engines mainly due to various bolt patterns.

4.Power Improved heads flow air better and also require the PI intake. They were the update done to the modulars between '99-'01 depending on the vehicle. They give roughly 30 more HP

5. $3500 for a new engine installed is about right. $1500 just to install a used engine plus at least $1K for said engine is steep IMO

Here is a site discussing all the differences between Romeo and Windsor 4.6L's as well as the different years and PI's: Rebuilding the Ford 4.6L SOHC Engine, Doug Anderson, Engine Builder, April 2002

Just noticed it says 1qt/700 miles that is a little more serious but without the coolant turning black from oil or coolant in the oil when you change it there still isn't a huge issue. Does it smoke at all?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Mark W. Ingalls
Senior User
dear galaxie641--

Thank you for the thoughtful and charitable reply. Here is more history...

I was sort of wondering if I should just drive it, but I also want to go off-road camping and come back. Since I've only had the truck about 10% of its life, I am unsure of its reliability.

I forgot to mention that I put stop leak in the coolant, which turned the coolant brown. That might have thrown the mechanic off. (He's always treated me very well, so I respect his opinion.) The other thing is that it suddenly started using more oil, from 1k per qt. to 700 per qt. This is why I put the stop leak in the coolant. (I did previously replace the PCV, BTW.)

The truck doesn't appear to me to be burning oil, because I don't see blue smoke. Lately, on cold mornings, I *think* I have detected white smoke, but that could be merely self-hypnosis, based on the rest of the symptoms.

I have been watching the coolant level, and it doesn't appear to be either going up or down. The truck appears to run beautifully. It appears to have plenty of power, and fuel consumption is about what one would expect when hauling a 1200# camper around full time- 10 to 11 mpg.

The 'retail' prices for used engines are about $1k... My mechanic only quoted $600 labor to install the new one, but I am assuming he'd get something from marking up the parts and that he deserves to get that money anyway if I bring my own parts. I was trying to budget conservatively; I very much appreciate you sharpening the pencil for me!

I used the VIN decoder on this website, and I am guessing '(R)' after the engine displacement means 'Romeo' yes?

Perhaps what I should do instead is browse for an engine|trans combo and replace both? (I figure the trans is designed to last about as long as the engine...)

In any case, the information gleaned from this website has been invaluable. Thanks again!

Mark

Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Might only need a new set of head gaskets.