N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Geo Metro

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chet/Mike - but I better pass. I promised myself I would finish my '59 before I started a new project. Between it and Thumper I think I will be busy all summer!

I am just mad at the price of gas - looks like no long trips for me this summer!

Old 04-05-2008, 04:15 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
I so wish I had the time and money for this project.....

This is an idea of what it could look like when someone is done with it.

Excuse us as we step on your thread Clint.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:58 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Originally Posted by WillyB
Thanks Chet/Mike - but I better pass. I promised myself I would finish my '59 before I started a new project. Between it and Thumper I think I will be busy all summer!

I am just mad at the price of gas - looks like no long trips for me this summer!
I look at it like how much gas can I buy for $3000. Which to me is what you'd need to spend on a good used car without any problem. Like that's going to happen. 3000/4 = 750gals Now, you add 750gallon of gas to your truck and it get you 7500 mile down the road. Plus you don't have to pay it all up front and add insurance.

See I've gone through the exercise too. I'm just lucky to have a few cars that break the 25mpg figure. 750gal*25mpg = 22,500 miles. That's a couple years driving.

Yeah, I'd like to get a new hybrid. 50mpg or 750gal= 45,000 miles. But, at 20-22K it would take a long time to pay for itself and I wouldn't get a chance to enjoy my truck and cars.

I always get the OMG. I can't imagine what your fuel bill is when I pull up the pumps in the Motorhome. I just tell them .... Well, it's no different than a Suburan that everyone runs around in and they have to pay for Hotel rooms.

I too am mad about gas prices. There is no way gas should have doubled in just over a year. It's a big joke and we should boycott.

It's not helping the home sale either..... that's another story

I think I'm going to buy a Moped ... I'll be like that guy in Mr. Bean

Nah ....... Moped FTL

Old 04-11-2008, 10:36 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry for a late reply. I shamefully have owned 2 Metros in my life. Both being really reliable & easy to work on. The 94 got about 38mpg when driven at 40-65mph. I shaved the head when the headgasket blew, and it must have gained 1 or 2 whole hp! The 92 I bought for $400, and ran like a champ too. I didnt have it long, Johnny Law saw me driving a preimered Geo & it really looked like a drug dealer's car. I hadnt even been to the DMV with it yet & found out the hard way NOT to buy from a lein sale. It hadnt been registered in a long while, and the lein paperwork wasnt done right.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:03 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Well, to update - I didn't go look at the vehicle in the hopes someone else would buy it. It is likely a good enough econobox, but just not my style.

My jeep gives me 18 MPG, 15 pulling my egg-shell trailer. Outside my trips, I don't drive more than 3K a year - not nearly enough to justify the expense of owning another car. It would be different if I was driving to work everyday.

I don't really like the Jeep - it is hard to get in and out of, and while there are a lot of creature comforts, they are located in awkward positions, have controls hard to operate with fat fingers, and don't work very well. For instance, it has an inside/outside temperature gage and an accurate compass built into an overhead counsel. However, there is no way to read the damn thing while sitting in the driver's seat!

But it does pull my trailer just fine, and has a good 4wd unit.