2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N CAI possible prob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM
fakujandt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation K&N CAI possible prob?

Hay guys im new to the site, just found it when i was looking for possible recalls on my truck. Lot of great threads and ideas so i figured i would give it a shot. I have an 04' F-150 FX4 5.4L, i installed a K&N CAI about a year ago and i loved it, however, just over the winter i had started having some troubles w/ it just dying, at the most random of times, almost always when i would start to slow down or come to a stop. All the lights would come on and a check gauges light would come on. Everything looked good, so i would start it back up and all would be fine. It later got worst and worst as time went by, so i had done the obvious and checked all fluids, used fuel cleaner, even changed the fuel filter, thinking that was it. It ran fine for about 2 months, and i thought i was in the clear, until i started noticing loss of power and it eventually died on me while driving to work this morning. After dying on me again on the way home, tonight i was done, then as i was rolling into a parking lot, a little yellow wrench came on. So i checked the manual to see what it meant. Turns out it has to do w/ my electronic throttle body. While in the parking lot i popped the hood and found that the cable leading to the throttle body had seemed like it was very taunt, and there was almost no play in it, right away when i tried to see if i could make some slack, it revved up, then died. I turned the truck back on but this time had no throttle response whatsoever, while the engine was running. So i took off the battery cable for about 2 min to reset the comp. and it worked again, however barely limping home, i noticed i had to keep the engine revved roughly aroun 2000 or more in order for it not to die on me when i had to stop. I could be wrong, but i believe the design of my setup, doesnt have the right amount of slack for the cable, and is somehow shorting it out. If anyone has had similar problems, or has any solutions, i would greatly appreciate it. Thx

Old 03-30-2008, 11:39 PM
tim2003expy
New User
Maf

I had a similar problem on a Mustang. There was a feather on the MAF. I'd suggest cleaning the MAF with cleaner designed for that task. You can get the cleaner at any auto supply store. As far as the cable, can't give any help with that.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
I had a similar issue with a K&N air filter. Got some MAF cleaner and everything has been fine since. You mentioned also mentioned when you moved the wire, it rev'd up? Make sure the connector is locked in place. You should have a little play (not much) in the harness.