1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Thirsty for Brake Fluid...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Cool Thirsty for Brake Fluid...

Alright, another problem for the truck... seems to be drinking brake fluid. I topped it off about a month ago, and it's down about an inch now. No puddles under the truck. Dumb question, but where do I start looking? I should have time this weekend to look at it, just need to know where to start. Thanks!

-Robb

Old 03-24-2008, 04:53 PM
immastrokinnow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would pull the drums and check the wheel cylinders. also the internal seals can leak in a master cylinder and you cant see it. it happened on my F150 a few years ago.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:08 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
wouldn't you be able to see fluid around the drum if the wheel cyl. were leaking??? and you will lose some as the shoes wear in these trucks especially cuz of the size of the pistons and calipers...... cuz the pistons are out farther... meaning there is more fluid in the calipers... just think when you change shoes and compress them back most of the time it will run over... been there done that... but i need to check under my truck i have the same prob... and it started after i replaced my brake lines... but i have checked them before and not seen any leaks... but i still think there is a leak somewhere...

Old 03-24-2008, 05:23 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
you dont always see the fluid. a lot of times it gets evaporated from brake heat before it makes it to the outside. i have this same issue right now however i know where my leak is... on the front pass side caliper, one of the brass seals got mangled in my last front axle teardown and have not had a chance to get back in there.

-cutts-

Old 03-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Aberasturi_c
Senior User
First question would be do you have a brake that is locking up? The fluid will build up inside the drum and then make it harder for them to release. Found that out on my 75 ford

Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
just early in the mornings...

Old 03-25-2008, 09:15 AM
immastrokinnow
Elder User
yea. i would go ahead and pull the drums off and look at the wheel cylinder. also pull the rubber piece back and see if its wet inside there. but if your losing that much fluid you should be able to see it without moving that piece.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 AM
IceboxFX
Tuned
Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
you dont always see the fluid. a lot of times it gets evaporated from brake heat before it makes it to the outside. i have this same issue right now however i know where my leak is... on the front pass side caliper, one of the brass seals got mangled in my last front axle teardown and have not had a chance to get back in there.

-cutts-
i could be wrong but i think break fluid is alochol based and it evaporates really quickly, especially with heat.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Alright guys thanks for the responses! I'll take a look this Sunday and report with what I find

-Robb