2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:57 PM
19expy97
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Bedliner

Took out my Bedliner today!! When i removed the tailgate liner It also removes the bolts for the access cover to tailgate latch mech . The bolts that hold the liner on the tailgate are shanked and will not work to hold just cover on. Does anyone know where to get the right bolts to hold this cover on? Will try the hard ware store tomorrow ( they actually are screws not bolts) . Im taking the liner out to install a bed rug.

Thanks mark

Old 03-23-2008, 11:06 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Get a spray in bed liner and you wont have those issues anymore. Plus looks a lot better then drop-in bed liners. Increases the value of your truck, I get compliments all the time on it.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:36 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelHorse08
Get a spray in bed liner and you wont have those issues anymore. Plus looks a lot better then drop-in bed liners. Increases the value of your truck, I get compliments all the time on it.
So, did you even bother reading the original post? He was not looking for better ideas than the bedliner, he was looking for the right BOLTS to keep his tailgate together!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:11 AM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
So, did you even bother reading the original post? He was not looking for better ideas than the bedliner, he was looking for the right BOLTS to keep his tailgate together!!!!!!
I agree, but by the same token expy was asking another question about the leather care on his King Ranch. If he's taking apart a KR, he really should go with a spray-in instead of a bet mat...I'm surprised a KR came with a drop in.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:21 AM
f150dude05
Freshman User
I had the same issue with my plastic bedliner tailgate cover bolts stripping. I removed the plastic bedliner and had a spray in liner installed. They fastened the tailgate access plate down with stainless steel screws. Looks quite nice. I dropped the old plastic liner off in the dealers yard as it was useless and just downright dangerous. Yes it was dealer installed in a KR Screw. Try standing in a plastic bedliner with snow. I just finished hauling basement development materials all weekend on the spray in liner and things grip so well, I didn't even have to tie anything down. Try hauling building materials on a plastic liner with the tailgate down.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelHorse08
I believe thats a matter of opinion....I for one don't like spray in liners as they don't protect against denting of the bed like drop ins do..go take a hammer and start bashing your bed (or for more realistic examples drop a cinder block into your bed)...i'll guess its going to dend the bed. Come on over and take a hit at mine.....the bedliner will absorb it.

Originally Posted by f150dude05
the spray in liner and things grip so well, I didn't even have to tie anything down. Try hauling building materials on a plastic liner with the tailgate down.
Now thats just unsafe.....it only takes one bump in the road to send something out at the minivan behind you on the highway that causes an accident...there was another post on here a few days ago that referenced an accident where a piece of metal that was unrestrained killed someone on the highway........tie your stuff down either way....

Last edited by Ryan50hrl; 03-24-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:42 AM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
Originally Posted by 19expy97
Does anyone know where to get the right bolts to hold this cover on?
Your local Ford Dealership should have some on hand

T. J.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:53 PM
4DOORSR
Senior User
Right on Ryan50hrl, those spray in liners sure look nice, but they don't protect the bed.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Chauncey
Senior User
"Your local Ford Dealership should have some on hand"

Congrats to the_webers_inc for actually being the first and only person to correctly answer the question asked by the thread starter. He deserves an attaboy if anyone from management is tuned in. (IMHO) LOL.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Chauncey
"Your local Ford Dealership should have some on hand"

Congrats to the_webers_inc for actually being the first and only person to correctly answer the question asked by the thread starter. He deserves an attaboy if anyone from management is tuned in. (IMHO) LOL.

Agreed.......and in due fashion i've given him positive rep points.....keep it up

Old 03-24-2008, 06:02 PM
bradplock
Junior User
LMC has them too. the 92-96 f150's used the same bolts in there tailgate access covers. here you go, i was in the same boat when i removed my liner to get it sprayed. i bought a set of these bolts from this guy and you even get a few left over!
he has them buy it now also

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-8...spagenameZWDVW

Old 03-24-2008, 07:08 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Originally Posted by 4DOORSR
Right on Ryan50hrl, those spray in liners sure look nice, but they don't protect the bed.
I don't know about the slip in's being much better than the Rhino "Tuff Grip" version. Mine is rubbery, and shock absorbent, about 1/8" thick. I haven't dented my bed, and I've been dropping some serious stuff in it. The slip in's rub the paint off, and then rust the bed from the water sitting underneath them.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F0rdzTuff
The slip in's rub the paint off, and then rust the bed from the water sitting underneath them.

i think thats just propaganda from the spray in companies....my 95 had a drop in the whole life of it...when i sold it in 2005 it didn't have a spot of rust under the liner...and i know cause i took it out and sold it seperate...

Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 AM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
i think thats just propaganda from the spray in companies....my 95 had a drop in the whole life of it...when i sold it in 2005 it didn't have a spot of rust under the liner...and i know cause i took it out and sold it seperate...
My 2002 (soon to be sold) has a slip in...The buyer wanted to peek under it, so we pulled it. Very liitle paint, a lot of surface rust, dirt, and even some damn leaves. This is a FORD slip in. The leaves may have been there when it was put on, but it was a mess. The guy's going to put a rhino in it. It books for 14k, but I'm selling it for 13k because the driver door lock is sticking, and the bed...

Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Rusty Bumper
Junior User
Originally Posted by F0rdzTuff
The slip in's rub the paint off, and then rust the bed from the water sitting underneath them.
I had a '94 Dodge with an OEM bed liner in it when I bought it new. When I got rid of it for my STX this year, all the bed ribs were chafed down to bare, rusty metal. Yeah, I know, I'm talking Dodge but the liners do rub the paint off in some cases.

I had the Line-X spray on applied to the STX the same week I bought it. It looks great and will provide enough protection for me. I don't know if they all do it, but this shop took the bed bolts and tie down brackets out before applying the coating instead of spraying over them.

Quick Reply: Stupid Bedliner