1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Pinging and Going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 07:24 PM
Spawn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinging and Going crazy

This isn't the first time I wrote about this problem. I have a 98 150 4x4 SC w/ 4.6L I bought it used 3 months ago. shortly after I bought I noticed a severe pinging. It's been to the dealer four times with no solutions. I've been playing with alot of theories, so far no progress:
NO codes
NO EGR problems
Fuel pressure, Even installed adjustable regulator (minor improvement)
89 octane (minor improvement)
Tuning- Plugs, Wires, Fuel filter (Plugs and wires were bad, but made no difference other than idle quality)
Borrowed a friends "performance" mass air and k&n filter(they were for the exact same truck, Made minor improvement)
BUT IT'S STILL PINGING

Here's something I thought of, could the previous owner have istalled a chip in this truck that requires 93 octane? If I was to remove my computer to find would one of these CHIPS have Identifying markings or what? I never was one to get into this type of thing.
Can some of you out there let me know what to look for?
I just want to get to the bottom of this so I can set this thing up the way I want it, NOT PINGING would be a great start.
Thanks

Old 10-24-2001, 09:50 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pinging and Going crazy

A chip is easy to find. Your computer is located on the passenger side. If you sit in the passenger seat and look at your feet, it is located behind the moulding just to the right of your feet. Once you remove the plastic you'll see the puter. If it has a chip, it will be about the size of a salad cracker and plugged into the puter. If your puter looks like a plain rectangle box with nothing looking out of the ordinary then I doubt you have a chip.

If your truck shifts really good then you may have a chip. If your truck has a sluggish shift between gears (takes a 1/2 sec at full throtle) than it is most likely is not chipped.

98 F250LD 4X4

Old 10-25-2001, 07:17 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Pinging and Going crazy

Another problem could be the type of fuel you have in your part of the country. I know in North Carolina, we're forced to burn reformulated fuel that pings like crazy no matter what the octane rating.

Old 10-25-2001, 10:34 AM
Spawn
New User
Pinging and Going crazy

Here's another question, would the chip be visible from the outside? Or would I have to open up the puter to find it like the old GM's I know some older Ford's used some type of module between the wiring harness and the computer. If its visible on the outside I'll say it ain't there, however it does shift pretty nice although I would like to push the 3-4 shift back a little. Hypertech has a nice programmer for that I've seen but I'll put that off until it stops pinging cause that'll make it worse, need the low RPM.

Anybody else with this pinging? Suggestion(other than high octane)? Ever had this Repaired, know the actuall cause?

Old 10-25-2001, 09:09 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pinging and Going crazy

The chip would be plainly visible from the outside and labeled as a chip. Your puter has a label on the end that identifies which type it is. If that label is not readily visible, then your chip should be.

Once you install a chip in truck and drive it for a while. You can remove the chip and the truck will almost drive like it has the chip installed. So if you find a open spot in your puter, then a chip may have been installed and then removed when the truck was sold. Too bad if they did. They most likely will not be able to use the old chip on their next vehicle unless it has the same puter code.

98 F250LD 4X4

Old 10-27-2001, 06:20 PM
Spawn
New User
Pinging and Going crazy

Thanks for the Info. I'll say there's no chip. So this mystery will continue to drive me crazy. I talked to a guy with a Ranger who has the same problem, he got his used from another dealer near me, and they tell him its normal. Nows he's at my dealer, GOOD LUCK! they have been no help. Where's a FORD TECH who's seen and repaired this problem??? I'm running out of options here.

Old 10-29-2001, 08:27 AM
jleinweber
Junior User
Pinging and Going crazy

I have the same truck, that had a small pinging problem. I have heard that these trucks with computer code FOU1 are especially bad (which I have). Check your computer code (inside of the passenger door front pillar). I've recently added a superchip and am running 93 octane. The pinging has stopped almost entirely, I can hear it every once and awhile, but not nearly as often. And the performance increase has been quite substantial, as well as improved shifting.

Hope I could help

Old 10-29-2001, 06:57 PM
Spawn
New User
Pinging and Going crazy

Hey that's funny my truck has the FOU1 code. Thanks for the info I'll check out the site. I refuse to run 93 octane in this thing though unless it's required by a mod I DO. My 86 F150 has more mods than I can list and could run circles around my 98 and it still runs 87 octane.

Old 10-30-2001, 08:13 AM
jleinweber
Junior User
Pinging and Going crazy

I feel the same way about 93 octane, wouldn't run it if I didn't have to.

But, with the Superchip, I don't have much of a choice.

Old 10-31-2001, 03:04 PM
Spawn
New User
Pinging and Going crazy

Here's another thought, Could the previous owner have used a "programmer" like those from Hyperchip to require 93 octane I've seen these used on GM cars before. Would the dealer be able to see this on a scanner, or have to flash the computer to see what happens? I can't tell looking at my Snap-On scanner, maybe I don't really know what to look for. I have noticed this, since its been getting colder outside it pings at even lower RPM now, from 2,000 on up. Maybe the motor will let go now and Ford can tell me it's my fault for driving it in this condition.

Old 10-31-2001, 09:41 PM
jleinweber
Junior User
Pinging and Going crazy

Spawn,

That is a thought, but I'm pretty sure that if you were to reset the computer, any custom program would be erased. I could be wrong, but it may be worth a try.

Old 11-02-2001, 06:29 PM
Spawn
New User
Pinging and Going crazy

I've reset this thing who knows how many times(every time I try something new)and it made no difference. Does anyone out there know how to remove this type of "programing" A Chevy friend of mine tells me that's not the case, that it would be like erasing the stock programing. Who knows? it's not a P.O.S chevy. so what's the real deal?

Old 11-03-2001, 09:16 AM
Deebo
Senior User
Pinging and Going crazy