1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Ever had the DOT offer to help you do a vehicle inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:27 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what would you do if you had a person stopped that bad??? lol what if the person you had stopped had a long legged blonde in the truck with him??? lol

Old 03-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texaslawman54
Are you going to sell the horse are you in commerce??? I really dont think any one will mess with you with just a horse... Are you required to have trailer tags in your home state??? I cant think of any Fed Regs you would be breaking if your not in commerce and its just for personal use or any Texas Law. I know in Texas a farm trailer under 4000 lbs dosent need a tag but it keeps you from getting stopped all the time having one...
Not gona doudt the Texas Dot cop but here in N.Y. we have permenat roadside inspection stations complete with higfhway signs and lights and believe me when they turn on the highway sign that says "All Trucks Must Stop" they be talkin about anyone with a trailer big or small ,horse or no horse even a unmarked pick up with a load of fire wood falls under the scrutine they inspect all, only thing that I have never seen is a reccreation trailer all else imop is fair game to the Dot.... I could be wrong cause I only know one absolute fact about the Dot Regs and that is things change and when they do us truckers and small time operators are the last to find out. btw I have 28 years driving fuel trucks and have done lots of Dot Inspections and 15 years of pulling small open landscape trailers with nothing bigger than an F-350 with no business signs what so ever and still I must stop at the inspection stations and for a random inspection,

Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 PM
spence13e
More Turbo
Jaaaaaaackman - then in your opinion am i looking at potential issues with this headed to upstate NY? because i'd RATHER not get stopped by the DOT guys. or any other LE for that matter...

Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
What part of NY are you from? Heare on LI we had a inspection station installed on the LIE just a few years ago and I have yet to see it used.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Originally Posted by spence13e
Jaaaaaaackman - then in your opinion am i looking at potential issues with this headed to upstate NY? because i'd RATHER not get stopped by the DOT guys. or any other LE for that matter...
Anything is possible ,I just don't agree with the lawmans part about wheather you are in commerce, in commerce or not is not a free ride to being a leagle road hazard. If along the way you see a sign with flashing caution lights and it reads all truck must imop you should pull in and chances are they will just flag you right on thru but if you don't stop and they send a Trooper to bring you back to the inspection point they will be lookin at you in a more critcal way and the fines are real big for these kinda of tickets.

Scatgo I had a run that went Cross Bronx- Throgsneck - LIE all the way to Bridge Hampton never once got stopped but on the north side of NYC up 87 0r up 95 into Connecticut the Inspection stations are well used.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:27 AM
texaslawman54
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaackman
Not gona doudt the Texas Dot cop but here in N.Y. we have permenat roadside inspection stations complete with higfhway signs and lights and believe me when they turn on the highway sign that says "All Trucks Must Stop" they be talkin about anyone with a trailer big or small ,horse or no horse even a unmarked pick up with a load of fire wood falls under the scrutine they inspect all, only thing that I have never seen is a reccreation trailer all else imop is fair game to the Dot.... I could be wrong cause I only know one absolute fact about the Dot Regs and that is things change and when they do us truckers and small time operators are the last to find out. btw I have 28 years driving fuel trucks and have done lots of Dot Inspections and 15 years of pulling small open landscape trailers with nothing bigger than an F-350 with no business signs what so ever and still I must stop at the inspection stations and for a random inspection,
We have weight stations here too. Only trucks and trailers that fall under the Fed Regs have to stop. Small ones do stop sometimes but we just wave them through (unless we happen to see something wrong on them) I will be going from Dallas to Dearborne MI sometime in the next week or two with my F250 and a livestock trailer to pick up some horses and help someone move... I wont be stopping at any weight stations. They are called Fed Regs beacuse they are supposed to be standard though out the U.S. but I will agree States can add laws on but cant make you follow them If your not in commerce and not moving there. Thats how it is here at least. (I guess to make a long story short If you were coming here I see Kansas Tags on your truck and you have a horse and stuff that looks like you are moving I wouldnt stop you.) This is what my rig looks like.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:01 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Texaslawman is it the DOT that dips tanks? If so will it be done on every truck that is being inspected or is it if you feel like it thing.

Jackman wht is your experience with them testing fule? Every time you get inspected?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:15 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know about in TX but here in Iowa, it's usually DOT that pulls them over but it's an IRS agent that is actually dipping and writting the ticket since it's considered a tax evasion issue. (my understanding from talking to a state trooper I know is if it's a commercial truck it CAN carry jail time) But any law enforcement officer can do it if they have the tool for pulling a sample.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:33 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Heard they dont have to remove fule any more to test. Heard they can swab the tail pipe and it will tell them if you are not running ULSD.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i drive past weigh stations twice a day in my truck and have never stopped even when the signs are lit, i have never been questioned about it, towing or not. the dot guys around my area are mean, real mean and they have never stopped me for anything? i cant see a pick-up being harrased by dot unless it is carrying something like the first picture of this topic. i didnt even think twice about dragging that skidsteer around, crossed 3 weigh stations and never got stopped

Old 03-29-2008, 03:18 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Well, here is a little giggle about California. Pick trucks do not have to stop at the scales. But....if you take off the P/U box and put on a flat bed. You will stop as you are no longer considered a P/U truck.

Our Government in action. Plus, Calif. vehicle code does not use the word pick up as there is no such thing. It's a motor truck, as I recall.

Rog

Old 03-29-2008, 03:30 AM
kawa
Postmaster
It is against the US Constitution to prevent interstate commerance. If Nevada allows their registered vehicles to display only one license plate and if they also permit them to put limo black film on all of their side and rear windows and a Nevada citizen drives into California where both of those practices ae illegal, California LE can not stop and cite.

The only time is if the out of state citizen is in violation of a safty code in their state then California can cite California's code if it is the same as Nevada's.

Rog.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Originally Posted by scatgo
Texaslawman is it the DOT that dips tanks? If so will it be done on every truck that is being inspected or is it if you feel like it thing.

Jackman wht is your experience with them testing fule? Every time you get inspected?
Never had my tanks dipped or swabbed, kinda have my doudts on the swab test too cause only have read about it on the web......

texlawman your rig is a diffent must stop at inspection points here in N.Y. on less the Troopers were busy they would come and get you if you pass them with a trailer of that size, they pull me in every time and I only have a 16 ft open landscape trailer and no signs on truck.

3 Triangles
Fire exstiguisher
Trailer brakes that work
A break away that works
DOT tape
and of course all the obvious inspection stuff

Old 03-29-2008, 01:53 PM
texaslawman54
Freshman User
Originally Posted by scatgo

We dont dip tanks here If we find or think they are using the farm fuel we call the Texas Comptroller and the come out and take care of it.....

Old 03-29-2008, 01:55 PM
texaslawman54
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaackman
Never had my tanks dipped or swabbed, kinda have my doudts on the swab test too cause only have read about it on the web......

texlawman your rig is a diffent must stop at inspection points here in N.Y. on less the Troopers were busy they would come and get you if you pass them with a trailer of that size, they pull me in every time and I only have a 16 ft open landscape trailer and no signs on truck.

3 Triangles
Fire exstiguisher
Trailer brakes that work
A break away that works
DOT tape
and of course all the obvious inspection stuff
Well guess Ill find out Hell they probly wont like my M14 and my M4 in the back window rifle rack but I bet they get over it LOL......

Quick Reply: Ever had the DOT offer to help you do a vehicle inspection?