1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wiring woes on the 60 Rat Rod Help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:00 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wiring woes on the 60 Rat Rod Help please

Hey Folks,
The 60 Rat Rod is off the jack stands and ready for some spring cruising. The big block conversion left me with some wiring issues though. Is there a good source out there for wiring diagrams, big block conversions, etc. I have no brake lights or tailights for one. are they some how linked through the turn signals. I cut the wires on the aftermarket column mount turn signal assembly. could that have something to do with it?
Thanks All

Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not know the wire column wires had to be cut to put in a big block. What am I missing here. Was the column in already?? was the wiring in already prior to BB conversion?? And yes, the brake and turn sigs work through the column harness on aftermarket and GM if there is a signal lever on it. Put the wires back on if you saved them.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 AM
59 shorty
Senior User
Unhappy

Wiring is not my strong point for sure and I usually have someone looking over my shoulder when I do it and sorry I don,t have a diagram but you should be able to find one pretty easely, having said that I can give ya some insite. The brake light circut has to run through the turn signal so you have turn sig. and brake light at the same time so hook the col. wires back up and don,t overlook the brake light switch. If no tail lights means head lights and tail lights get out the multimeter and start tracking down the power ;IE GOT POWER TO THIS POINT BUT NOT BEYOND HERE.I would start at the light switch and start following the runs- again got power to this point but not to this point.Check every switch, high beam, ect. Don,t forget the fuse on top of the light swich if you still have the origanal one. As to the BB. wiring should be straight forward if it is pre computer, ignition and charging the same as you will find in the Ford wiring diaghams for that year motor. Wish I could be more helpfull but I feel your pain. Stay with it and you,ll get it figured out before to much longer. Mark

Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 AM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
The wiring was in after I bought the truck with BB conversion. I will be ordering the stock turn signal unit for the factory column soon but the aftermarket coumn mount turn signal assembly did'nt work and was just in the way so I clipped those wires and trashed it. do I need to hook up those wires to get my brake lights and tailights to work again?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:09 PM
59 shorty
Senior User
No. just run a constant power supply to one side of the brake light switch. the other side of the switch should run to the tail lights. this should give you brake lights when you step on the pedal. You will not have turn signals until you fix or replace the turn sig. unit.You can test the brake lights by jumping the terminals on the brake light switch they should be on when you do. The "no tail lights" is in the headlight circuit and needs to be run down through there. mark

Old 03-18-2008, 07:16 PM
economan
Senior User
iffin' yer really stuck i got some copies of late 50s early 60s wiring diagrams
they are general ford wiring all colors are listed on em'
lemmee know iffin ya want a set i droppem in the post for ya.
economan(at)hotmail.com
mikie
near ottawa canada
58 merc 100 panel & 64 econo p/u

Old 03-19-2008, 12:33 AM
t900enforcer
Junior User
In my gallery I have posted a generic wiring diagram for running your brake light signal through your turn signal so both brakes and turn signal work correctly.

Good luck

Old 03-19-2008, 06:37 AM
cool 48
Senior User
Just like the others have said. You taill lights have dual filiment bulbs. The larger of the two filiments is for your brake lights. Run your power to your brake switch, then out to the larger of the two filiments on both tail lights. Then you have to run your tail lights (the ones that just light up when you turn your lights on) from your head light switch to a turn signal relay under the dash. From there you will have two wires that go to each turn signal. (the small filiment on the bulb ). The larger filiment on the bulb only comes on when you hit the brakes. The smaller comes on when you turn your lights on,and blinks through the relay when you hit the turn signal switch. I know I am probably telling you stuff you already know, but just in case. Hope that helped.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Last Chance 56
Elder User
I just want to offer a suggestion. When I first bought my old truck and got it running with 50 year old wiring and the more I drove it, the more problems I had with the wiring with it. I tried patching and rewiring and finally saved up enough cans to get a EZ wiring harness and fixed all my problems.

These kits are cheap and save alot of time, headaches, and burnt parts/truck. If you can plumb a house, fuel system, or hook up a garden hose, you can follow one of these schematics and save yourself some trouble.

Just a suggestion and good luck

Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm having a little trouble following exactly what you have and what you did. Let's see if I have it right? You bought your truck with the engine conversion already in and the wiring completed? It has an aftermarket column (what brand?) and turn signal assembly (a stock column with an aftermarket turn signal switch attached, or a complete aftermarket column with built in turn signal switch?)? The turn signal switch didn't work, so you cut off the wires coming out of the column? Why didn't the switch work, was it not wired properly or is it broken mechanically? Does the 60 truck have a fuse block under the dash or does it still use a few circuit breakers and no fuses like the earlier trucks?
What exactly are your plans now for a column/turn signal switch/truck wiring replacement?
Short answer: You need a signal switch and correct wiring for the lights to work properly. Cutting the wires coming out of the column was probably a big mistake. If the column is a major aftermarket unit with built in switch and wiring such as Ididit or Flaming River you can get whatever replacement parts you need to repair the switch and/or wiring from them, you don't need to replace the entire column unless you really want to for some reason. Most aftermarket columns use the GM wiring colors and connectors because GM was consistant with colors and wiring, whereas Ford changed colors and functions regularly, so you need to know what the wiring diagram and colors are for your year truck to hook up the switch correctly. Again the aftermarket suppliers include a wiring conversion diagram and/or have a conversion pigtail available to go from the GM plug to the Ford wiring, you should contact the column manufacturer for help. (mixed up wiring may be the reason the column switch didn't work.)
As also stated, 50 year old wiring likely needs replacement due to age and POs doing cobbled wiring additions and repairs, and doesn't have enough capacity for adding modern electrical accessories, so it may be time to just replace it all with a new harness from EZ Wire or It's a Snap (IMHO I'd avoid Painless, their products are painful to the wallet!) and be done with any and all electrical issues. Their harnesses include a connector that plugs directly into the aftermarket column connector.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:38 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Great input folks! Economan if you could get me those diagrams that would be Awsome. I have a project truck so there's still lots to be done just looking for a quick fix to drive it today. AX racer and last chance 56 thanks I want to buy the EZ harness when I got bucks but still have'nt decided on a steering column, mines still stock. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I have a 56 steering box, column with factory built in turn signals without column shifter I'm not using. PM me if interested.