2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory GPS Antenna location

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 03:20 PM
SRatta
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Factory GPS Antenna location

Hi All,
I am about to install a factory Navigation Unit in my 2006 F150, is there a factory location for the GPS antenna? It appears to have a clip on it. I have not taken anything apart yet but I figured I would ask since I know some of you have done this installation already.
Thanks.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:05 PM
blowin smoke
Junior User
the factory antenna gets installed right above the guage cluster. You have to take the trim around the cluster off and it will clip in on the upper right corner. I hope that made sense. Jason

Old 03-16-2008, 04:14 PM
SRatta
New User
Is this difficult to to remove? I did not see any screws does it snap in place?

Old 03-16-2008, 04:23 PM
blowin smoke
Junior User
I know the top snaps out but I can't remember if the bottom does.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:40 PM
XolieX
Elder User
wow, how much did that factory nav cost you? i'm interested becase you could of gotten a deal on a pioneer avic d3 from crutchfield for 800 with ipod wire, bluetooth, and remote. very easy to install them!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 PM
SRatta
New User
I had the same tradeoffs, The deciding factor was that with the factory unit you can play music while using the navigation, with the Pioneer it is one or the other. Also I want the factory look, and it should be less of a theif target since it only works in Fords. I ended up paying $690.00 on Ebay.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:22 PM
XolieX
Elder User
actually, with a pioneer avic-d3 can be playing music while navigating! but 690 is a great price though!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Skuterdude
New User
I velcro-ed my antenna to the bottom of the black tray above the radio........works fine and didn't have to take the gauge cluster apart

Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 PM
SRatta
New User
I was looking in that area above the radio today, I am glad to hear that it works fine I hate to take apart my dash also an possibly cause rattles. I plugged it in and it powered up displayed the Ford logo then and shut down, I think it needs programming, I will bring it over to ARC on Friday and have it done.
One other thing, I mounted it in the dash, when I but the bessel back on I noticed the unit sticks out a small amount is this normal or do I need to modify some brackets to make it flush. The ebay description said it was removed from an 08 expedition. I am not sure if there are different mounting brackets for the various vehicles it is used in.

Thanks for your help

Old 03-17-2008, 09:53 PM
blowin smoke
Junior User
My nav also came from an 08 expedition and had the same issue. I can't remember what exactly I had to cut but the guys at arc should be able to tell you. what part of MA. do you live in. I'm in waltham about 10 min. from arc. also did it come with the nav dvd? If it did not you will need the 6p disk as older versions will not work with the 08 nav. Jason

Old 03-18-2008, 05:57 AM
SRatta
New User
Unhappy

I now live in Framingham but use to live in Newton, I am very familiar with Waltham my father had a shop there.
It did not come with the nav CD, I did not know that the newer Navigation units would not work with older versions of the map I bought a 4p version off of Ebay. OOPS!! I figured they were all compatible.
Did the Nav mount flush in your truck? or does it stick out a tad?

Old 03-18-2008, 11:59 AM
blowin smoke
Junior User
At first it did not mount flush. you have to modify the opening on the truck. it is not a big deal it will only take a couple seconds to do. when you put the nav unit in you can see where it hits. Jason

Old 03-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Skuterdude
New User
Originally Posted by SRatta
Did the Nav mount flush in your truck? or does it stick out a tad?
What I did was.....I put the nav unit in the opening and took a felt tipped marker and drew a line around the mounting tabs......then I removed the unit and took a butane soldering iron and carved the plastic out along the lines that I had drawn earlier..........you could also use a dremel tool........there is metal under the plastic and you want to leave the metal intact as that is what the screws fasten into........

Doing this will let the radio sit back about 1/8" further back.........which is perfect.........the plastic trim panel will hide all of your mods.......

This mod is very easy to do...........takes all of 10 minutes........

If you ever decide to remove the nav unit and reinstall the factory radio.....just use some washers under the mounting tabs under the radio to bring it back to the original thickness............

Any questions?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:04 PM
blowin smoke
Junior User
The nav unit he is putting in is factory there is just a little difference in the mounting brackets between the f150 and expedition radio.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:19 PM
SRatta
New User
Thanks for the help,
I am just a bit nervous about cutting out the plastic but as long as there is metal under it, it should be OK.

Quick Reply: Factory GPS Antenna location